Cervelo R3 Road Bike

Cervelo R3 Road Bike

Frame optimized for stiffness-to-weight (STW) ratio (our R-family).

• Squoval chainstays & downtube
  • Multi-shape toptube
  • Oversized bottom bracket area
  • Lay-up optimization

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 01, 2013]
    Chris B

Strength:

Light weight, responsive, great handling at higher speeds

Frame defects -seat, seat post, the dreaded bottom bracket creaks....

Bought this bike as a Xmas present from the wife early this year. After much research and test rides of a number of bikes, I got the R3 Team SL. Gorgeous looks and sexy lines.

Rode the dry roads in winter and loved the bike. Once warmer weather kiicked in May, am at 8000 ft in the Rockies, really tried out hills, climbs and descents and loved the bike. It seemed a little numb in certain responses, but a great all around speed and fun bike. Was planning on replacing the OK Fulcrums in due course.

Then the creaking started. Found that on uphill climbs a creak/clicking, at first random and then more continuous. Took numerous trips to my lbs in Boulder where I bought the bike and they scratched their heads. Eventually pinned it down to saddle that seemed to creak while in the seat. So we replaced the stock Sella Italia with a "better" Specilaised brand,at at upgrade cost.

Then, in the following weeks the creak was back. Again more trips back and forth to check it out. Now the shop thought it had to be the stem/seatpost since the noise was when in the seat and not when pedalling out of the saddle. Another 2 weeks of waiting for newer model and different seatpost, FSA SLK installed with promises that the problem was licked. The sales folks and mechanic rode the bike for 50 miles, and couldn't duplicate the problem.

Two weeks later, creaking was back.

Back to Boulder again, and now a frame swap. They had another R3 SL Team frame. Another week and everything done. In the meantime the guys loan me a R3 demo which seems fine,but I want what I bought, not the new bland silver colors that seem like anything you can get for 500 at a blah outlet.

Ride the new bike, great and NO creaks. Second week in, I can't believe it, a hint of a creak now and again. Two days of back to back rides (50 miles) and now the steady creaking is back. Still happens when in the sadlle, so what on earth is this?

Back to Boulder and now the lbs guys/girls are as aggravated as I am. How about another Cervelo? NO. I have ZERO confidence in their quality. Then it trickles out that this is a recurring issue, with other buyers......great.

I finally, after 5 months of back and forth and much angst am without a bike and back to square 1. The folks at Boulder Cycle Sport were great and did evertything in their power to fix the problem, but you can't expect them to overcome design / manufacturing flaws.

I miss the looks and handling, but I can't begin to explain the frustartion and irritation with the flawed products. I drove over 1000 miles back and forth to address these issues, and I told the shop I expect Cervelo to reimburse me for the wear and tear, gas and not least my time in almost a dozen trips to get to the bottom of the issue. We'll see if they have any notion of responsibility/culpability in doing what is incumbent to address the matter. My closing comment to the bike shop was that if Cervelo wants its retail customers to be Quality Control agents, then they ought to provide a bike at no charge and cover incidentals.

I bought this machine based on reviews, marketing, images in the grand tours and "reputation". Feel like an idiot especially after two frames and SAME unresolved issue. Cervelo does not have my endorsement and unless they come clean and address the matter, then my advice is "Caveat Emptor"........

[May 18, 2013]
    Erics

Strength:

2013 Cervelo R5 Full Carbon Frameset Just 789USD at http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/S3-S5-R5-VWD-Carbon-Frameset/819025_251269430.html

[Apr 22, 2013]
    Joe

Strength:

Value and versatility

none so far

Cervelo has upped the ante for 2013. A wonderful machine. Great frame, great components, great specs. The pros are riding this bike in the spring classics because they can. They don't have too. I have been blown away by the way this bike handles and performs for every mile it has been in my quiver. Money well spent.

[Feb 24, 2013]
    Eddie

Strength:

Stiff, light weight, comfortable ride, great fit

none.

I got this bike, the team R3 2012 / Ultegra in July of 2012. I absolutely love it. I've been riding on it for 9 months now, and still love every ride. I shopped around for a while, and test rode a bunch of bikes. I had a healthy budget, but it was still a budget. So I couldn't go all the way to the top end of spending. After riding a bunch of bikes, this one just fit better than all of the rest. Extremely comfortable. The bike is very responsive. Pedal down, bike forward. no questions. Obviously it's not the most aero bike, but I bought it to ride hills more anyway. The one thing I wish for though is a better wheel set that ships with the bike. the Fulcrum Racing T is ok, but still kind of heavy. I still love this ride though.

[Jan 24, 2013]
    Randy Fendon

Strength:

Acceleration, Stability, Hammering Flats, Climbing, Descending, Power Transfer, Comfort

Some minor issues with the BBRight cups on my first R3. Cervelo didn't hesitate to replace the frame - see my review below.

I just want to thank Cervelo for their outstanding customer service and great bikes. I have had both an older Soloist Carbon and more recently an R3. I loved both bikes and they were/are both great. I no longer have the Soloist, but still ride the R3 and love it. It is the best bike I have ever ridden and I have been riding off and on for 30 years starting with an old Dave Moutlon Fuso and full Dura-Ace and then on to a Serotta custom steel and carbon, then a Seven Titanium and carbon followed by the Soloist and then the R3. The R3s as many other people have stated over the years is one of the best road bikes ever and I agree. I am also 6'2" and 195 pounds (give or take - Ha!)

I recently had a bottom bracket issue that wasn't entirely Cervelo's fault - I played a role in the problem too. I called Cervelo and explained the situation honestly to them and they unreservedly said they would replace the frame - instantly and no questions asked. They told me I needed to work with a dealer to do the warranty and since I live in a very remote part of California area with no Cervelo dealers nearby, I choose to work with Nytro Multisport in Encinitas, CA. I did not originally buy the bike from Nytro, it came from dealer that no longer carries Cervelos. Anyway, Nytro was awesome. David Hull in their customer service area did an outstanding job helping me and I now have a new 2012 R3 Team frame built-up with Campy components.

The new R3 rides EVEN BETTER than my previous one and can see where Cervelo continues to improve and enhance their bikes with each new generation. This is hands-down the best bike I have ever ridden. Thanks to Cervelo for building great bikes and "standing behind them" too when there is a problem and to Nytro Multisport for being so helpful to me in the warranty replacement process!

[Dec 23, 2012]
    JOHNR

Strength:

Light bike for the price. Looks great in person. Very stiff/responsive out of the box, although it does seem to be losing some of its snappiness over time.

Bottom bracket is a disaster. It keeps creaking and there seems to be no resolution to the issue. If I could do it again I would not buy this bike.

Beautiful bike spoiled by a bad bottom bracket (BBRight).

[Nov 24, 2012]
    ron

Strength:

awesome bike. It is fast!

I used this review for many of my purchases so now I will weigh in. I have owned this white R3 for 3 or maybe 4 years now. At any rate, I ride mountain and road depending on conditions and am mostly a climber type. All I can say is that, seriously, every time I ride this bike, which is a lot in the summer, I get done with my ride and look at my R3 leaning against the house and think " this bike rocks!" I don't know exactly why, but it's the truth! Cannot say this about any other bike I own.

[Aug 18, 2012]
    Soundtallica

Strength:

Traditional looking frame, extremely light (16.2 lbs for mine), extremely stiff BB, yet unbelievably comfortable, sexy thin chainstays, confident and planted descender, cool name ("Cer" is for cerebral as in brain, and "Velo" means bike in French, so this is a "Brain Bike!"). The ultimate bike for climbers.

Has to be the least aero road bike I've ever ridden, those squoval tubes must catch a lot of wind. Consequently suffers on flats.

After adding an R3 to the stable, I was super excited because of all the rave reviews and hype around this bike. When I took it out for a spin, it was everything I hoped for: light, stiff, sexy... but it wasn't that much better than my old aluminum Parkpre Image Road. Yes, there was a noticeable improvement in climbing due to the light weight and crazy BB stiffness, but it wasn't massive. The ride quality was the same story, an improvement (only noticeable after 50+ miles) but not that much better. And on the flats, the Parkpre was actually better, as I could maintain higher speeds with less effort than on the R3 and I had to work harder to maintain my normal speeds in a headwind. Those squoval tubes must catch a lot of air. That said, this is still a marvelously engineered bike with impeccable ride quality, and maybe my old bike was unnaturally good for an aluminum ride. I would totally recommend the R3.

Parkpre Image Road

[Jul 14, 2012]
    Rob C

Strength:

Comfortable Responsive, Light

None so far

Just got this bike a week or so ago after returning an RS because of recurrent issues with SRAM components. See full review under Cervelo RS. This is a review for the 2011 R3 team frame with full Ultegra setup. This bike is amazing in terms of it balance between comfort and performance. I used to ride a Cannondale 63cm CAAD4 that was hard to get comfortable on. This bike is the first bike I can see riding for a whole day. My Cannondale was just not a great all day bike. I am 6'5" tall with a 36 in inseam and find getting a good fit on a bike difficult. That is until now -- the R3 61 cm with a 110 cm stem fits very nicely and is just a breath of fresh air. My one recommendation based on my experience with the RS would be to no purchase the SRAM Rival version of this bike. It is less expensive but the SRAM components are not worthy of the frame--have them stripped off and put on something Shimano or Campy. I love SRAM for my Mountain bike but feel they have a ways to go in the Road Component department.

Cervelo RS, CAAD 4 Cannondale

[Jun 15, 2012]
    Chris

Strength:

Love the way it climbs, love the smooth feedback from the road, love how it tracks. And the BBright bottom bracket? I'm a believer, it's crazy stiff. I also was among those who thought the tall headtubes were a mistake, but no longer. See below for my explanation.

My one minor complaint is the tiny bit of toe-overlap, but I have big feet, and rare is the bike that doesn't result in toe-overlap for me. If that's the only weakness, then you've built a pretty good frame.

My prior bike was a Van Dessel Rivet, which I thought might be the last bike I would ever really want to own. Sure, there are plenty of hot frames out there, but very few keepers. Then my Van Dessel was struck by a car, and I found myself having to rent bikes while I waited for insurance to cover the damaged frame. My LBS rented me a size 56 (I usually ride a 54) R3, and with some adjustments, was pleasantly surprised to find it fit me perfectly. So when my insurance money arrived, I purchased the white/blue R3 at a nice discount.

With deep drop bars, the tall headtube allows me to slam my stem and get fully stretched in the drops on the long top-tube without feeling cramped, and to still climb comfortably on the bar tops. I can also still run a good amount of set back on my saddle. I love punching up short climbs, and I love hammering and cornering down long, winding descents, and I feel like this bike was built just for that very purpose. It also rewards you for standing on long ascents with a great feel from the stiff bottom bracket. Can't say enough about the ride quality either, which is superb. I have my fingers crossed that I don't run into the dreaded bottom bracket cracking issue and have to warranty the rame.

Cervelo S1, Specialized Allez, Van Dessel Rivet, Focus Cayo, Kestrel Evoke, BMC Racemaster