Cervelo RS Road Bike

Cervelo RS Road Bike

Andreas Klier of the Cervélo Test Team said the RS is the “very, very, very, very, very, very best bike" he’s ever ridden in Paris-Roubaix, the world’s toughest bike race for equipment. With the same SquovalTM shapes and SmartwallTM engineering as R3 and R5, the RS maintains stiffness and strength, but adds a curved version of the Ultra-thin seatstays to boost comfort. The Cervélo RS will keep you comfortable on your longest weekend rides, and carry you to the podium of your local race. It even carried Thor Hushovd to the podium of one of his many weekend races: Paris-Roubaix. The RS is part of the R-series, designed to make the difference on the hills and mountains.

[Oct 09, 2018]
gomez

Strength:

Good supple ride - great combination of stiffness and comfort.

Supplied equipment not dura ace quality

Price Paid:
2000
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2011
[May 30, 2013]
Diana1992

Strength:

I am looking for Cervelo S5 Frames, did somebody buy Cervelo S5 Frames at http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/S3-S5-R5-VWD-Carbon-Frameset/819025_251269430.html , i need you help.

[Sep 24, 2012]
Mike T

Strength:

Great ride, comfortable yet sporty, looks good, fantastic warranty

My first bike developed a BB crack, frame was replaced, sometimes (rarely) I wish it was a bit stiffer

I bought a 2010 RS in grey and black at the end of 2010 when I was 50 and it developed a bottom bracket hairline crack after about 2600 km of riding. Cervélo was great and I got a new 2011 frame in metallic white (WAY nicer colour) to replace it. With close to 4000 km on the new frame, the BB area looks fine. Must have been a bad batch of 2010s.

I normally ride around 4500-5000 km a year, mainly recreationally with the odd GranFondo thrown in for fun. My beater bike (1978 Raleigh Super Course) gets a fair bit of use in the off-season and the Cervélo is used in good weather only, unless I get caught out in a rainstorm (rare).

In 2012 you could still get the RS with Ultegra (or even Dura Ace) and I chose the Ultegra. It's a good group and has been reliable. I originally bought Mavic Ksyrium SLs for it but they proved to be noisy due to spoke movement and I recently replaced them with a set of Fulcrum Racing 1 Competition Limited Edition units which are nearly silent. So equipped, the bike is really nice to ride, it handles beautifully on 90 km/h descents and accelerates well up hills. As a heavier rider (95 kg more or less), the good ride is appreciated.

It's a great value in a frame, although the Sram Rival only 2012 model leaves me a bit cold. Buy the bike and get some better running gear, from a European discounter.

[Jul 14, 2012]
Rob C

Strength:

Frame and Fork were exquisite. Ride was comfortable and responsive

SRAM components. Simply a bad choice by Cervelo. Too bad they did not go with Shimano

I purchased this bike approximately a month ago to replace my CAAD 4 Cannondale. I am 6'5" 215 lbs and I am a recreational rider I have a 36' inseam and a long torso. The bike was recommended as a good choice for someone of my stature and I couldn't agree more. I purchased the bike from Athlete's Lounge in Portland Oregon and received excellent customer service; they are a class outfit through and through. I upgraded the the crankset from the FSA to a SRAM Red (I actually asked for a Force Crankset but AL put on a RED instead for same price..thx). In spite of this the SRAM front derailleur was a chronic problem from the begininning with chains dropping off the big chain ring on about 8 out of 10 shifts. I also had a couple of chains fall off the inner chainring resulting in chain suck and some damage to the frame (minor but nonetheless annoying). Bike went back to the shop 3 times within 3 weeks. Minor adjustments helped temporarily and replacing the front derailleur with a Force did not really help. I had a final episode of chain suck at about 30 mph and that was the last straw. I was able to return the bike and wanted to get a fresh RS frame and put on all Shimano or Campy Components but there were no more 61's available. To make a long story short I was able to get my hands on a 2011 R3 with full Ultegra set up at another shop for significant discount. Athlete's Lounge graciously refunded my money to make it possible for me get this bike. Great customer service is one thing when you have a great experience but it is another when things do not work out so well. Athlete's Lounge tried valiantly to salvage the situation and went beyond the call of duty to make the situation right. So....my recommendation is the RS is a terrific frame and if you buy one remove all the SRAM and replace with Shimano or Campy. My Ultegra setup on my R3 is fantastic. One last note, it is my understanding this is the last year they are making the RS--R3 frame very comparable. I hope SRAM can learn to make road components that equal their mountain ones. My Rating of three stars is an average 5 stars for the RS frame and 1 star for SRAM

Cannondale Cervelo R3

[Jul 03, 2012]
CTRHV

Strength:

Coming off a more than a decade of Colnago frame sets, this is a great older guy ride. Still can hit it, but very comfortable on the long "slow" rides. Have ridden this in the French and Swiss Alps and all over Texas. Great bike for the $.

Don't go with the standard Ultegra, its disappointing. Go with Durace, Red or Campi. Wheel sets of your choosing but the stock set is not worth keeping.

Great frame, great value.

[Apr 26, 2012]
JD

Strength:

Excellent Geometry, great climber, great descender, comfortable century ride

frame strength

I absolutely love this bike. I originally purchased the bike in 2010, switching from an aluminum Bianchi road bike. I immediately noticed the difference, especially when riding in the mountains. The bike is quick, comfortable, and a blast to ride. The relaxed geometry should not scare anyone away as I have "played" with my buddies on sprints and long speed rides when they were on more race specific frames. I will say though that this is my third Cervelo RS frame in less than 3 years. My first two frames developed cracks on the bottom bracket, hopefully the third one doesn't. Do not let this scare you away from the RS because Cervelo has been incredible with their warranties! The first frame crack I had a new frame delivered to my LBS in 5 days, and the second frame crack in about 9 days. No sending the frame off, just pics sent to Cervelo and bam, new frame. I have been nothing but happy with my original purchase, the ride of the bike, and Cervelo support!

Bianchi Giro

[Feb 16, 2012]
Hughsdad

Strength:

Light, stiff, plush ride.

Not the cheapest bike out there.

I love this bike. It is stiff, fast, yet plush. It climbs like a dream. I am a lousy descender, but I've always felt very confident on the RS. For me, with a back no longer very flexible, the somewhat relaxed geometry is a perfect fit.

[Jan 06, 2012]
KenSnowden

Strength:

Very smooth ride, Very stiff drive train.

Junk componentry

A great frame design for serious riders who no longer want to be beat up by stiff frames
It is a very compliant but very efficient frame. Unfortunately they have practically ruined this good bike with the cheap, underperforming components standard issue with this bike now. I am an ex racer that is used to having good frames supplied with equally good components. I have had to put another $1500 in components to feel what this frame was designed to ride like. This is a real black mark on Cervelo marketing. This is shameful. Most of the components are absolute junk. If Cervelo is going to maintain a reputation of top end racing machines, for God sake just sell this as frame only and not cheapen a potentially great ride.

Specialized Tarmac SL2, Giant Defy Advanced,Seven Eliam Ti,

[Dec 21, 2011]
Phil

Strength:

Relaxed geometry, softness of ride in the rear, handling

Nothing notable

Age and flexibility or rather the loss of it forced me to give up my Super 6 and it's aggressive rider position. The Cervelo solved those problems on the 1st ride it continues to this time. In race conditions this bike handles curves and tight corners terrifically no drop off from a more aggressive bike at all. The smoothness at the rear over rough or uneven pavement is magnificent. It really shows on long rides or the charity tours the go all day. And lastly this one tough bike as a larger rider who tops 200 lbs the frame handles my weight easily. I have yet to see a limitation to using this bike as a race day machine and then an all rounder. I see why this bike has created a new category.

Cannondale Super 6

[Sep 05, 2011]
Leo

Strength:

All-day comfort, handles rough road well, ability to accelerate and climb like a demon. Good handling

Due to upright positioning probably not the best for someone intent on racing.

Great stability, comfort and overall performance. Perfect ride for training, local bike events, century and charity rides.

Trek 5200