Cervelo Soloist Carbon Road Bike

Soloist Carbon

No compromise - Extremely aerodynamic yet among the lightest frames in the world and with excellent stiffness & compliance properties.

• New profile downtube
  • Horizontal teardrop-shaped sloping toptube
  • Stealth aero headtube
  • Oversized bottom bracket area
  • Wolf seatstays
  • Laterally stiffened chainstays

• User Reviews (49)

Fred   Road Racer [Sep 23, 2011]
    Strength:

Speeeeeeeeeeeed ! But you have to deserve it
    Takes a lot but gives a lot !
    Climb like a h0rny monkey
    Comfy if you like pain
    Reactive and very well balanced in corners
    It makes a really sexy wind noise at high speeds
    SRAM Rival is a nice reliable group for the price

No chainstay guard, but a few inches of black Duck Tape do the trick
    Not made for cruisin' around
    Stock wheels and tires are really cheap
    Makes funny squeaks when bolts are not tight enough

Great bike, outstanding quality for the price since it went down. It's difficult to beat the polish and the efficiency of this bike.
    It is not a bike designed for occasional riders, since it asks a lot. But if you are in a good day, it is like riding a magic carpet.

Similar Products Used: Duh, many many bikes
    Jay   Road Racer [Sep 21, 2011]
    Strength:

Noticeable increase in speed when coupled with deep section carbon rims relative to a bike with traditional tube shapes with box sectioned clinchers (possibly around 2km/h increase to your average speed).

Reasonably stable at speed if there is no cross-wind.

Looks great

The frame could be stiffer. It is by no means a significant compromise to potential speed, but it does lack a certain zing whilst climbing. When accelerating on the flat its ok.
    DO NOT put cosmic carbones on this bike. They completely ruin the ride quality whilst descending/at speed even with the slightest cross winds.
    The ride quality is fine over smooth tarmac, but once the roads start getting rough (like over the ACT boarder into NSW roads) the ride quality goes out the window.
    You'll need one of those 17 degree stems if you want a very aggressive position. I have a 54cm frame and about 6.7cm of drop from the tip of the saddle to the handle bars with no spacers. I wouldnt mind an extra .5-1cm of drop.

Ive ridden and raced this bike for almost three years. It really is a solid all round performer that has served me really well. It was my dream bike in the 06 tour pelaton!

This is a very fast bike that does tender noticeable increases in speed if you have the power to take advantage of its aerodynamic qualities. If your a weekend warrior who smashes out a 25km/h average speed, these qualities will not really be that noticeable. Its when youre spinning along at 35km+ that you start to notice the true quality of the frame. It may be in my head, but it just seems easier to hold a higher pace on this bike relative to my six13. Not only does it seem faster, but the ride is smoother and just a lot better!

Though the ride is solid, it does seem to lack a certain magic about it. its very difficult to quantify, but there is a certain sprightliness or panache missing here. its fast, stable etc, but not inspiring - at least after 3 years of riding it.

As for descending, I can really comment because the ride quality is confounded by the cosmic carbones. Ostensibly it is perfectly functional and reliable. But, the cosmics are TERRIBLE descending wheels! they make the ride nervous and twitchy. Ive only swapped out the front wheel a couple of times and this has made a big difference. Cosmic carbones are very reliable and reasonably fast, but they ruin the ride quality when there is a decent cross wind. (I dont know hoe significant rider wieght is, but Ive heard lighter riders feel the effects more. Im 59kgs.

As for value, these days you can get this bike at bargain prices. I think you can bike one up for about 4000-4500 retail. I imagine you would be hard pressed to find a better bike in this price range.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale six13, Giant OCR 3, Trek 1400
    Erik S.   Recreational Rider [Aug 12, 2011]
    Strength:

Fast, aero is real. Light, not feather light but 16lbs or so with good wheels is fine, I could stand to lose 10 myself. SRAM Rival, is a good group, solid shifting and lighter than other brands that cost more. It is a sleeper of drivetrain. The ICS3 is great, they got it right.

Stock wheels are solid but heavy, 1900g, Fulcrum 7. The Fizik saddle is not for you if you don't dump power to your legs. It works for me but may not for softer pedaller. The Rival crank could stiffer. They are not easy on the wallet, but you get what you past for.

My loving wife surprised me. Let's go to Columbia and get you that bike you like! She got me a S2, with SRAM Rival. The bike is worth over 2kph on my average speed during my noon time romps from the office. That alone has proven the worth of aero frames. I have over 20years of road cycling experience on bikes ranging from cheap Taiwan made carbons which worked well and had a great ride, to supper stiff Kleins and 'dales. The S2 rear triangle is very stiff and makes the bike take your power to the road, it is not a plush ride but is much better than the old Al frames I raced. The front end is not as stiff as the R3 but is competent handling bike that can take cornering line changes with ease. Cervelo has a great warranty and backs their products which I like. The sizing is a little odd, I stepped down a size from my old bikes. I like that I can get a bit lower in the front compared to my old frames. 4 stars for cost, and nothing is perfect, reviews buy owners are often inflated. I won't do that to you.

Similar Products Used: In 20 years, name a racing road bike.
    Austin   Road Racer [Mar 07, 2011]
    Strength:

stiffness, weight, geometry, aerodynamics, performs well in all types of riding

none so far

This has been an outstanding bike. Bought a used 50cm at our bike swap last year. I have been racing in crit races, time trials and triathlons. I love the stiffness of the frame, and the large bottom bracket of the fame translates into serious output of power. The aero shape of the tubes makes it great for tt riding and the geometry and low weight of the bike makes it a great hill climber as well. I highly reccomend this bike to anyone who comes across it for a good price. I happend to find it for a steal price so it makes me love this bike even more.

Similar Products Used: scott cr1
    trek 1200
    Ivanuscg   Road Racer [Mar 01, 2011]
    Strength:

Fast, stiff, incredible handing

Just got my 10' Cervelo S2 a few days ago. In searching for a new race bike, I rode a lot of bikes in the past few weeks. No matter what I rode nothing compared to the S2. Its truly a race inspired bike that that excels in all areas. The ride was in a league of its own: stiff, responsive, and fast. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a highly competitive road bike. If your even remotely considering the S2, do yourself a favor a go test ride it. You won't regret it!

I bought this bike @ Conte's in Arlington. What a great shop/staff.

Similar Products Used: Cervelo S1
    Pinarello FP3
    Scott Addict R2
    Addict R4
    SystemSix 5
    CAAD10 Dura Ace
    cdmorten   Road Racer [Dec 01, 2009]
    Strength:

Stiff bottom bracket. Great for sprints. Stable at high speeds. Aero.

It has a bit of a stiff ride but nothing I can't handle.

Just picked up a 2008 Cervelo Soloist. They were blowing them out at the shop I ride for. It's full Dura Ace. I've got around 200 miles on it and I'm coming off of a 2006 Madone 5.9SL. Here is the short version. The ride is a little harsher than my Madone. It's got that aero seatpost that doesn't have a lot of give. But it also came with the Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow seat which doesn't have much flex to it. The bike handles well. It descends a bit better than the Madone...it's more stable at high speeds. When you want to sprint (and I like to sprint) that's where this bike shines. It's a rocket. The same can be said with standing climbs. I'm really happy with the purchase.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR1
    Specialized S Works
    Trek Madone 5.9SL
    Lokozino   Recreational Rider [Sep 25, 2009]
    Strength:

extremely aerodynamic, never loved it that much when it's windy, but now I do

It's like jello pudding,this frame could be held with duct tape and it would only make it better, NOT FOR TALL AND HEAVY GUYS

Do not buy this bike if you need a bigger than 56 cm frame, really to spongy

Similar Products Used: de vinci cx,limongi
    Madshus   Road Racer [Jul 31, 2009]
    Strength:

Comfort, Stiffness, Decending, you name it.

Paint Quality right around the headset area is a little rough but otherwise perfect on the rest of the frame.

2009 Cervelo S2:

I wasnt't even considering this frame when I was looking for my new bike but tried it on a whim and loved it.

I am a climber and was set on getting either a Cervelo R3 or a Scott Addict. I couldn't get comfortable on the Addict and the R3 was a bit to numb for my taste. The S2 has just the right blend of road feedback, and comfort while providing great responsivness. I expected the ride to be somewhat harsh given some of the reviews that i have seen but so far I have been very comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Specialized S-Works Tarmac, Scott CR1-Sl, Cervelo R3 and Scott Addict
    amcnd   Road Racer [Mar 08, 2009]
    Strength:

Light, smooth, fast!!

Cheap stock wheelset

Cervelo S2!! Ultegra build up.

Similar Products Used: Specialized
    patentcad   Road Racer [Feb 18, 2009]
    Strength:

Solid as a rock for racing, climbs great, very fast bike. Surprisingly supple for such a stiff CF frame. Very light. Beautiful finish. Amazingly responsive. Best racing bike I've ridden.

Not the bike to take on a 3+ hour ride on nasty/rough chip/seal country roads. I have two other more comfortable bikes for that, I wouldn't take the S2 out for 100 miles, but that may change as I get used to the aggressive position on the new bike.

2009 Cervelo S2, Dura Ace 7900, full bike. Upgrades: Wheels are Williams 58c carbon clinchers, seat is Specialized Toupe, cluster is D.A. 7900 11-25, bars FSA K-Wing carbon, stem, FSA OS-115. Bike as described weighs 16 lbs 5 oz with Keo Carbon Ti pedals, cages, computer. 15 lbs 4 oz with Zipp 404 tubuar race wheels. That's 15 oz. lighter than my Cannondale Six13 with the same wheels, which really surprised me, that does indicate the the frame is lighter than the 1100 gram claimed weight.

Bike is a very solid racing platform, amazingly light/stiff, surprisingly comfortable. I weigh 170-180lbs and the bike feels firm but not harsh when I ride it. Ideal for competitive rides, handles like a laser, transfers every ounce of power to the rear wheel, any aero benefit (that's what they're selling here) would be a major plus, I'm 51 and race with 35+ guys, I need all the help I can get. I strongly feel that for the total investment in this bike of about $6K, it offers value compared to the competition that's pretty hard to beat.

Similar Products Used: I've ridden a few other full CF bikes, but my Six13 is half aluminum.