Colnago ACE Road Bike

Colnago ACE Road Bike

The Ace offers head-turning style with spine-saving comfort. Specifically designed to provide an balanced ride quality for Gran Fondo riders and those who demand long distance comfort with Colnago performance and handling. Ace provides a more upright position, with a taller headtube and slightly shorter toptube when compared with traditional Colnagos. The frame is a carbon fibre monocoque and features rounded main tubes and square chainstays. The study of cross-sections, combined with a careful analysis of the layout of the carbon fibres has made it possible to maximize comfort without compromising lateral stiffness. Available in 8 sloping sizes and two colour variations. The 2012 Colnago Ace 105 Bike includes: -Frameset: Colnago Ace -Fork: Colnago Ace -Brakes: Colnago X-Brake 3 -Shifters: Shimano 105 10spd -Crank: Shimano FC-R565 34x50t -Front Deraileur: Shimano 105 -Rear Deraileur: Shimano 105 -Cassette: Shimano 105 11-28t -Chain: Shimano 10s -Headset: Colnago HS-1 -Stem: Deda EL -Handlebar: Deda RHM EL -Seatpost: Deda EL -Saddle: Colnago Z4 -Wheels: Shimano WH-R501A -Tires: Vittoria Zafiro 700x23c

[May 19, 2013]
Joe McAllister

Strength:

Smooth comfortable ride. Performs very well.

None so far

I'm a novice rider so take my review knowing I have nothing to compare this bike to as it is my first road bike. I started biking recently and wanted to get a bike that I would not quickly out-grow so I decided to get a good one right from the start. I really enjoy riding this bike. It feels very smooth and fast. I got a good discount on last years model making it about what I'd pay for the more comon brands seen around. For what its worth, I think this is a great bike. Im riding it further distances than I ever imagined over the last month.

[Jan 22, 2013]
Chris

Strength:

Really rides like a dream. Stay out all day and not feel spanked. You can probably get a previous years for about 2K or less- and it says "Colnago" on it.

It's a low end bike on the price list so it's all about the frame - you won't get the greatest wheels, components, etc. I got one with Campy Veloce and it was fine. Upgrade wheels if you're a fanatic, but it's OK to ride as is.... I got rid of the compact cranks and put 'big boy' chainrings on it.

I've been faithful to my classic steel bike for 25 years, had it dialed in with all Record, etc, but I got tired of being the last "retro" holdout; the time just came to get a carbon bike. Took a while to get used to looking down and seeing the fat tube - but the ride is exceptional. Tracks straight and stable with hands off. I think it's too bad they call the Ace something for the "gran fondo" riders, (whatever that is, amateurs I guess...) if you can hang with a pack now, this one is not going to hold you back. The headset's a little higher is all.... If you want something a little different from a Trek, go for it!

[Jan 08, 2013]
Gordon Ross

Strength:

I ride long distance Audax so 200Km plus each ride and this bike suits perfectly. The geometry means it is more relaxed but it is light and fast. I quickly changed the stock tyres and saddle but everything else is superb. The 105 is fine and does not need any upgrade, the wheels are great and it climbs nimbly for a slug like me. Bike looks great as well. Brakes excellent. Very comfortable especially with the conti 4000s tyres and Brooks flyer saddle

Stock Colnago tryes were very cheap & flimsy and saddle a bit the same

I bought the 2012 (last year) model for 40% less so it is an absolute bargain. The 105 will take a 11-30 cassette so llok out hills. Overall I am over the moon re the set up, comfort and speed of this bike

[Jul 09, 2012]
Kal

Strength:

Reasonable price for brand, looks and comfort. Shimano 105s is great! (No need for Ultegras...seriously)

Just a little frame flex when pushed (not an issue), brake pads are poor (brake callipers are good), wheels are too heavy (I changed to a pair of ROL Race SLR + Pro Race 4 tyres from Michelin and the bike just goes!), seat is meant for small bums (I changed to a Specialized Avatar and its comfy as).

Overall a great bike if you change the wheels, seat and brake pads. Will not disappoint if you are aiming at the $3000 mark for a bike.

[Nov 22, 2011]
Tom Ritz

Strength:

Light, very fast, climbs nicely. Nice on long rides, 50 miles or better.

Saddle needs to be a bit more comfy.

All I can say is WOW! Huge difference in climbs and accelleration. Very responsive and light. Handles VERY nicely and very comfortable. I test rode Trek and Scott bikes and this bike stood out for just a bit more on price. But you get what you pay for....

[Jul 25, 2011]
Harold

Strength:

It is light, comfortable on longer rides, and fast.

The wheel set could have been a little better. I killed the stock tires in 200 miles. Now running gatorskins and it is a tank

Let me start by saying I am a larger rider. 6'1 275Lbs. I have had back issues and was really trying to get back into riding a lot of distance. currently I am doing 150 miles a week. I absolutely love this bike. It is comfortable, stable, fast and good looking.