Eddy Merckx Team SC Road Bike

Tubing: Easton Scandium SC 7000 Throughout his illustrious racing career Eddy Merckx was meticulous in the detail of his bicycles, taking the utmost pride in the fit and finish of all his equipment. As a manufacturer he retains these qualities, incorporates them with his unparalleled racing experiences, and shares them with thousands like you.

Classic Dad   [Jul 29, 2012]
Strength:

+ Climbs where you point it (and pedal),
+ Absorbs road vibration,
+ Acceleration on demand
+ Classic "Pro" bike
+ Hand made in Belgium
+ Team logo bike is now "cool" (not a poser with a 10 yr old bike)

- Doesn't have the mega advertising dollars and name recognition that the new CF bikes have.
After 4+ years I have not come up with any Real weaknesses.

This bike always surprises me! I have had this 2002 Team SC (Domo Farm Frites) for about five years now. Originally was going to the Campy Groupo to build a Moots Ti Vamoots. While the Moots was a great Ti ride, I no longer have the Moots and the Groupo is back on the Team SC.

It climbs effortlessly, so I can keep up with my "mountain goat son",
Like ANY bike, fit fit, fit is very important and like another review mentioned, Wheels.
I run a set of Mavic Krysillms SSC for this bike.
The Campy Zondas made it a different riding/handling bike that had an uncomfortable ride.

While my Pegoretti is primary, the team SC has become my very reliable, don't have to "baby it", utility that has never disappointed... bike.
What more could you ask for?

Similar Products Used: Pegoretti, Moots Vamoots, Marin Argenta
Michael B   Recreational Rider [Nov 29, 2011]
Strength:

beautiful and transmits power straight to the road, classic geometry with perfect balance

This is hands down the best bike I have ridden,it is almost 10 years old and is still fantastic , compliments on every ride and the ride is amazing

Similar Products Used: Fondriest Carbon, Look Carbon, Alan Carbon, Colnago Dream, Pinarello SLX, Basso SLX, Custom 531P , Alan Aluminum
frankie853   Road Racer [Jan 06, 2011]
Strength:

So pretty, lightweight, tries to go faster than I do...

none i can think of

Bought the frame and forks at a really good price. Built this bike up with ultegra and has been a good strong stable ride, rode a heavier lemond before this and found it in a new league.
It's also beautiful!

Similar Products Used: Greg Lemond, cannondale, isla bike, specialized, major nichols,
lperdido   Recreational Rider [Dec 22, 2009]
Strength:

Getting to ride it.

Not wanting to ride it when the weather is crappy

Best bike ever. I purchased the frame used on Ebay a few years back to get me back into cycling. The bike was originally going to be a back up bike and I was later going to "upgrade" to a Bianchi. Well after matting it with a Easton SLX fork and Campy record you can forget about the second fiddle status. The bike is stiff, fast, responsive, not jittery and not buzzy. You can ride the bike all day without any fatigue issues. Prior to my cycling hiatus, I always rode high end bikes like my Colnago Conic SLX and Bianchi EV4. Those bikes were great but don't quite have the overall feel of this bike.

The bike constantly elicites comments, compliments and questions. As one rider stated on a group ride, "Beautifull, simply beautifull!"

If you can get one, Get it.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Ciocc SLX, Colnago Conic SLX, Bianchi EV2, EV3 AND EV4
Martin McBirney   Recreational Rider [Apr 01, 2004]
Strength:

Handling, power transfer, comfort and looks

The top cap assembly wants to creep up the steering tube, so cinching down the headset is a bit tricky.

Fabulous bike. Just fabulous. Came off a steel MX Leader, which was a dream and moved up to something even more impressive. Having been a supported rider in the seventies and early eighties, I've gone through a lot of bikes and I've never been so impressed. I echo all the compliments showered on this bike by other reviewers and only want to add some thoughts on setup. Like others, I was nervous about the "poser" potential of the Domo Lotto paint, but dealt with it by completely stripping the Ksyriums of every decal, running black cable housing (Aztec), black Stella Azura tape and dark blue Pro Race's (a near perfect match for the blue in the frame). The result is a less noisy color scheme that preserves all the class of paint job. The Easton parts pick up the chain stay decal for an appealing, uniform look.

Similar Products Used: Eddy Merckx MX Leader
OOO   Road Racer [Feb 14, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight Stable Frame Power transfer Very Fast

Having to wait 3 months for the custom frame

In short - the Merckx Team SC is a fabulous frame. It builds up to an amazing bike with all the qualities you'd expect from a top of the line road bike. This bike is simply an all round Pro road bike. It transfers power to the wheels effortlessly, is stable across any rough terrain, and definitely looks the part. This is my first true top end road bike and is nearly 2 kgs lighter than my existing aluminium frame. Anyone who thinks the Merckx Team SC frame is heavy are kidding themselves. The combination of 2004 Chorus and Neutron wheelset weighs in at about 7.8kgs! I find this bike very comfortable and don't get any major road vibrations. When climbing out of the saddle it propels forward on each pedal stroke. Don't hesitate if your thinking about buying a Team SC as you won't be dissappointed.

Brimac1   Road Racer [Jan 21, 2004]
Strength:

Light weight stiff smooth excellent ride quality excellent paint job

Well, this is my second review of an Eddy Merckx Team SC, because it is my second one. That by itself should tell you something. It seems there is a bit of problems with the interpretation of the Scandium ride. How about another? I have ridden all types of frames including: Steel, Carbon, Ti, and yes of course Scandium. Recognize on thing, you can't have it all. Sorry, that just isn't reality folks. That said, Scandium is an extremely smooth ride, factoring in the stiffness factor. One other factor seemingly not taken into account by the other previous reviewers who did not think it had a smooth ride, was the wheel types being ridden. I have found the wheel types make a significant difference in the ride of the bike. In some cases, more than the frame itself! Keep that in mind with any bike review. I also have a 2003 Merckx Carbon GX2. This is still my favorite ride. I take the Team SC on the Sunday club ride every week. The comfort stiffness, liveliness, and overall responsiveness cannot be matched. That said, buy this frame and fork if you are looking for an excellent, balanced combination of ride quality, stifesfness, relaxed century geometry, lightness, and overall happiness factor. One more comment about a previous review reference the paint quality. The paint quality is excellent. Merckx puts plenty of basecoat and clearcoat on these frames. If you have a problem with scratching your bike, you probably ought to look past the frame and into how carefull you are. Your paint will only be as durable as you are kind to it!

Similar Products Used: Eddy Merckx, Litespeed, Colnago, Pinarello, Specialized, Klein, Bianchi, and on and on and on.
gpirate   Road Racer [Dec 11, 2003]
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light and best of all sharp looking.

The fork could be a little lighter.

This is hands down the best bike I have ever ridden. It is very responsive, looks great and has the history that everyone knows behind it. I have the 2003 and I think that there is nothing better. When I am at a local race/ride that is held every Tuesday in the summer and we are pushing along at 35mph, this bike gives me the stiffness and accuracy I need to go even faster to breakaway. I love it and I wish everybody else could experience what I have with this bike.

Similar Products Used: Opera Giorgione, same material.
Brian Sitarz   Road Racer [Aug 31, 2003]
Strength:

Lightweight Stable at speed Handles rigors of larger riders Luxurious ride (for a racing bike)

Don't like the idea of only 1" steerer tube for carbon, but that saw remedy in 2003 model

PURCHASE PRICE CORRECT, YEAR-END CLOSEOUT FOR $900 ;.) NO JOKE. I'm a 6'1" rider sitting around 205#, used to riding an old-school (mid-80s) Guerciotti SL frame that really had seen greener pastures; That and 45 mph descents down the SLC Canyons made me cringe at the thought of a fork failure. I was ready for a new bike. Searched the local shops and the web and saw this beauty on last-ditch closeout for $899; Yeah, it is 1 cm smaller than my typical 60cm, but current seatpost and stem combos eased that worry. I wanted a smoother ride than straight Aluminum and was timid of "new-steel" in larger frame sizes and with heavier riders. Couldn't afford Carbon or Ti at this point. Scandium seemed perfect for my needs. This bike is a dream for me- great acceleration and cornering, no BB flex, stable in descents, no slushiness with me laying into the pedals on the steepest gut-buster ascents in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I just have to see if over the years of abuse it will stay as crisp. I do agree that the carbon fork really does make the descents stable, but I agree with another reviewer that it and the scandium do not equal "putty-soft." Yeah, the paint is a bit schizo - but attractive (I feel like a poser just like the other guy down the reviewing line). For the ultra-plush ride I invested in a Campy Ti seatpost and a Selle Italia Prolink Gel saddle (like a Cady baby!) Despite the radically cheap price, I'd have paid twice as much and still smiled (almost) as big.

Similar Products Used: Re-painted mid-80s Guerciotti SL with all the old school goodies (6 speed freewheel, friction shifters on the downtubes, chrome fork and droopouts, white Modolo covers for the Campy Gran Sport, . . .
John   Road Racer [Aug 17, 2003]
Strength:

solid, no BB flex at all. Paint job is out of this world and light enough to make you feel like more of a climber than you really are.

nil, none, nada, nyet. The guy on the bike is the only weakness as the bike is much faster than I will ever be which suits me just fine

This baby is F.A.S.T fast! I have an older style Lemond Alpe d'huez which has served me well. The Lemond is nearly 11 Kilos which is great for training on but Eddy is only 8 Kilos and wow what a difference THAT makes! Solid road feel yet lots of snap when you stand in the pedals and hand it out. Scandium soaks up road vibrations beautifully with only the largest corrugations transferring to your hands and bum. Feels really nice and compact with a good precise cornering ability. First race with it on the weekend, in the breakaway that got swallowed with 10kms to go, sat in recovered and just blew the doors off in the sprint. A fine machine indeed