Felt AR4 Road Bike

Felt AR4 Road Bike

Frame: New Felt Aero HM Modular Carbon Fiber Frame with 3k finish, carbon dropouts & replaceable hanger

Fork: Felt Aero UHC Nano 1.3a bladed

Components: Shimano Ultegra SL, 20 speed; Felt 3.1 Stem & 1.3A Aero Road Bars

Wheelset: Felt AeroRoad3 28mm Deep Clincher Rim 20H Front/24H Rear

Finish: Matte Clear Carbon

Sizes: 700c x 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm

Weight: 16.93 lbs

[Mar 10, 2014]
Brian Smith

Strength:

Looks great. Great if you need an aero bike. I have ridden a ton of bikes. I like the giant tcr advanced sl as a crit bike. It is uber stiff. This bike has a stiff bottom bracket but the front end is like a wet noodle when you get up to sprint. I love crit sprints and practice them quite a bit with my TCR. This bike does not compare to the TCR in stiffness. But it is definitely fast on flats. I rode a 9 mile loop with

Feels like a wet noodle when standing and sprinting. I have a 3t stem and 3t ergonova bar. Those are pretty stiff components. I normally ride a 2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL with stiff Zipp bars and stem. They are night and day difference in the front end stiffness comparison. The bottom bracket seems stiff enough but I haven't hammered it up my hilly route just yet for comparison.

Buy it if you want the latest and greatest aero road frame and you like to go fast on flats. Skip it if you want a tight, stiff, crit/sprinter bike. I will give it more time to see if it fits in my arsenal of tricks.

TCR Advanced SL, Cannondale EVO Hi Mod, Cervelo S3.

[Feb 18, 2014]
RegMan

Strength:

Great looking bike! Responds well to hard accelerations, soaks up bumps in the road surprisingly well, when you get up to speed, the bike almost seems to float! Handling us crisp and precise.

Heavy wheels, gearing is meant for flat road riding-nothing steeper than 5-6% grade on the hills

This review is for the 2014 AR4. It's a great looking bike and although when I first took the bike out for a spin, it felt a little fragile. Almost like riding a bike made of cheap material, however when I got the bike up to speed, was I impressed! This bike literally flies! I've ridden a couple of other aero bikes and they were really stiff and you felt every bump in the road-not so with this bike. It soaks up road imperfections almost as well as my endurance bike! The wheels are heavy. I switched them out to Zipp 404's...major upgrade. The cassette at 11-25, doesn't have a low enough gear to handle steeper climbs. I'm going to switch that out soon for something like an 11-28. Very happy with the purchase!

[Aug 28, 2013]
Chris Maclean

Strength:

Being a 204 lb triathlete I am no doubt in the Clydesdale division. It is fast. Really fast. It was easy to modify for tri's. and great for long rides. And it is stunning looking. The orange black and white colors r great looking

Had to change rear cartridge for climbing. The frame is very stiff. It's not the most comfortable for 90'km rides. It's not a killer on comfort but there r better out there such as Scott CR1

I am most pleased w the purchase and would buy it all over again. Will upgrade wheels for next years season
Great bike

[Feb 16, 2011]
Marx.int

Strength:

Fast, thought the areo frame would just be a gimic but it really makes a difference. Bikes quick even with the stock Cosmic Elite wheels more areo then the set of 40mm Carbon rims I have so left the mavics on there.

Cheaper Carbon on the forks witch adds to its sligthly heavier weight.

Have been riding the 2011 AR4 and what an Amazing bike has really pushed me up a notch in speed and competitiveness. Even being slightly heavier it still punts up hills quickly. Looks the Biz, get heaps of comments. couldnt be happier with it

Many

[Aug 17, 2010]
devil's spawn

Strength:

Stiff over the BB, accelerates quickly, fast, smooth. Beautiful looking, comments on if it was a TT bike. This will double up as road and TT bike with tribars and deep sectioned wheels.

Shame but stock wheels never get a good rep due to unknown quantity and little heavy.

Bike tested 2010 Felt AR4 as the intials indicates this bike is very aerodynamic, stiff and fast. The latest shimano ultergra 6700 ten speed execellent. Took this machine on a 3hour bike ride with a 6 mile time trial included, replaced stock wheels with easton tempest II alu clincher wheelset which makes this ride extremely fast, the ride is comfortable & stable, has an air of excitement to see how fast you can go. Well, I clocked 30mph(tri bars not even on yet) at times during the TT there was a tailwind and flat road to, but this is what this bike does, get it up to the 25mph and feel the aerodynamics come into play, the effort was relaxed, the stiffness of the frame allows you to power to speed on the quick, haven't worked it hard on hills yet, but as a triathlete's point of view if it rides this well, it will surely be about the rider who can climb well. Now I'm 6' & 97kg. I don't ride stomping on the pedals but ride fluidly I need a bike that allows me to get my mass shifting effortlessly and this does. Purchase this bike it will not dissapoint.

2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp. Token C50A carbon wheelset. And I thought that was fast.

[Jun 20, 2010]
Scott Wraith

Strength:

Stiff, aero frame is very fast. Great for someone who does Triathlons and century's and can't have two specific bikes. Came with Ultegra SL which is also very nice.

Wheels are a little heavy for the bike but they seem to roll nice. Looking lighten up the ride, this is the first thing to swap out. Saddle, not bad for stock but it will go too.

Very nice ride. Slips through the air effortlessly compared to my old Scott. Aero tubes really seem to make a difference. Value is a 5 because I got it for $1000 off retail.

[Mar 21, 2010]
NewToCycling

Strength:

Fairly light and stiff.
Comfortable.
Good looking.

Perhaps a little too heavy for strictly hill climbing.

I am writing a review for the 2010 Felt AR4. The UHM Carbon frame rides so effortlessly. The transition from five years of riding a very high quality steel bike to this one was completely transparent. It handles the bumpy, old, farm roads quite well, but is extremely stiff in the bottom bracket and chain stays. It is nimble and stiff, corners very well, and looks great. The large Aero frame cuts through the wind but does grab the crosswinds to a point. But since I am always moving forward, I figure the Aero frame would be more of a benefit than deterrent. The frame, wheels and seatpost are the same as last year's AR2, which makes this an even better bargain.

Own a 2000 LeMond AirRail (steel) w/ 2006 Shimano Ultegra 6600 groupo; Have ridden a Madone 5.2, Felt F4, and Specialized Tarmac Expert.

[Dec 02, 2009]
liorsh

Strength:

fast. stiff. looks great!!!

not easy to get used to.
weels - the ones that came with them are 2 levels below the bike. first required upgrade.

got them after i rode a chinelli i really loved. it took me some time to get used to its stiffness. you can fill every stone on the rode. once i got used to it, it bacem "my best friend". they are fast, and you feel that no energy is being wasted.

[Apr 07, 2009]
quanster42

Strength:

Fast...and faster, definitely feels easier to pedal through headwind than any other road bike, decently light despite the large aero tubes and not being the top CF (it's HM carbon, not Felt's top UHC or UNC), stiff BB area, good shock-absorption, internally routed cables (full-length sleeves, easy as hell to feed through)

A little sketchy in crosswinds (big flat tubes), more expensive than other similar level bikes (e.g. more than the Felt F4), internal routed cables mean that you can't use stuff like nokon cables, proprietary seatpost (nice aero, but I usually go for Thomson), heavier than other similar level bikes, current models only come with Shimano groupsets

Since RBR's thing only lets you put in years up to 2007...

Model Year: 2009

I love this thing. It is the best feeling road bike I've ever ridden (well, aside maybe from a full Ti Litespeed archon), and it's just fast. A lot of the aero stuff may be hype, but ride this thing into a 30mph headwind and you'll feel the difference. Felt bikes in general are great for those of us with slightly longer torsos (the flat top tube helps a lot). It's gotta be one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen too (and it's an attention-grabber). It is a bit annoying when people ask why you're riding a TT bike, but I can deal with that.

Specialized Tarmac SL2, Litespeed Archon, Giant TCR Alliance, Specialized Allez