Felt F1 SL Road Bike

• Shimano Dura-Ace 7900 dual pivot brakes
  • Shimano Dura-Ace 16H front/ 20H rear carbon fiber WH-7850-C24-CL

[Aug 22, 2011]
Chris

Strength:

Very light and stiff
Handles very well at speed.
Comfortable ride if the roads are decent.
New it is priced well for the components and weight combination.
Used it is a bargain.

If you are looking for nothing but touring rides and have no interest in speed this might not be for you.
Size seems to run a little big.

I'm an early to mid 40s runner, 5'11", 168 lbs. who has dabbled in triathlons and duathlons. I used biking to supplement my running though now I'm (considerably) heavier than when I was younger I've been looking to get into road racing or time trials.

I got this bike to use for long rides and road races as the Giant MCR will do for tris or time trials (other than UCI). As far as riding style goes, I stay on the big ring and mash more than spinning high rpm.

A few things of note:

This bike runs slightly long for its size. I'm proportional to my size (average torso and limb length) and upon getting it I felt it was slightly long. So, I switched the stem for a 90mm Syntace F109. Felt no longer makes the Devox stem originally used. The bike came with a 100mm standard. The old owner also swapped the 100mm stem with a 90mm for the same reason I did though he put the 100mm back and did not send the 90mm. By Felt's sizing chart, I was smack in the middle of the range for the 56cm. So, if you are on the border between sizes either check it out with a test ride or go with the smaller size.

Second, if you are used to road bikes with relaxed geometry this will be a change. It has a more aggressive geometry so at low speeds it can be skittish, especially with a crosswind. At higher speeds it is stable and corners very well.

Third, it is very light and stiff. Upon getting it I sent it to a shop to get a tune up before I got fitted. They weighed it and it was a little under 14 lbs (it was listed as 13.98 lbs on Felt's site). There aren't any big mountains in Ohio but there are some steep hills. Even when standing on the pedals up the steep hills or when sprinting during intervals I didn't detect any flex. Maybe a much bigger guy can feel some at max effort but I don't think someone of average weight or below will. It feels like all your effort goes into going into forward progress.

The ride is forgiving for roads in good shape (i.e. - comfortable). We have some roads here I ride that have some really prominent expansion joints. You'll feel those. The seat (Felt's Devox) is quite comfortable and unless your rear has unusual proportions should be fine. It is more comfortable than the Fizik on my MCR.

Fuji Roubaix, Giant MCR2

[Jul 26, 2010]
aroshi

Strength:

Lightweight, responsiveness, acceleration (stiffness), road feel w/o being harsh.

This review is for a 2010 Felt F1SL frameset. I built it up with very comparable components as the complete bike that Felt offers.

Being femorally challenged (short legs/long torso), I chose this frameset for it's 74.5 degree seat angle in the 54 cm size. I couldn't be happier with the geometry. My previous bike is a Cannondale 2006 Caad8 with which I had to have a setback seatpost set forward and a super long stem (140cm). Now I have a normal (120cm) stem and a Thomson zero setback seatpost and the bike fits me like a glove. What a pleasure it is to ride. Super responsive and light. It is responsive (some would say twitchy) but with the feeling of complete control. Weighs in at 6.84 kg (15.01 lbs) with my personally selected components - and yes, Felt's stated weight for a complete bike of 13.98 lbs (54 cm) is very accurate.

As others have stated, the bike excels on flats and especially on hills which we have lots of (15% grade sign next the my driveway). I have a compact but don't even use the smaller ring until the grade approaches 10% which was not the case with my Cannondale. Once out of the saddle on steep or short hills, the Felt puts me into a rhythm that I have never experienced on other bikes. I feel I could climb forever. And the bike just carves out corners on our serious downhills. I realize my bike handling skills were hampered by my previous ill-fitted bike so I have some catching up to do to fully take advantage of the Felt F1 SL. Our road are nice so I can't really comment on how well the bike absorbs road buzz. My aluminum Cannondale was ok once I got carbon bars and the Felt is definitely a step above.

Cannondale Caad8

[Mar 27, 2010]
Jesse

Strength:

Extremely Lightweight but Extremely Stiff, Pro Pedigree and Preferred model of felt by most Garmin Riders

I spent months looking for the best road bike to go with my strengths in climbing and also a bike that could handle the flats. When i picked it up from the bike shop, i was impressed immediately with the beautiful carbon finish and the felt devox components.
The Devox saddle can only be compared with the best of the Fizik range and the stem and handlebars feel alot stiffer then 3T components previously used.
In regards to the Dura-ace group set there really is no surprise that it performs very well and has crisp shifting and the ergo levers are the standard in comfort. The wheels are lightweight carbon laminate clinchers and perform very well in all conditions (although i only use them for training, as i have 46mm reynolds wheels for racing).
The frame is the best part and the reason why team Garmin achieve so much success. It climbs with ease and on the flat it almost takes off. I didnt expect a lightweight bike to be excellent on the flat and i was amazed that a top of the range wasn't actually worth the mortgage. If you are a General classification rider, a mountain goat or even a weekend warrior you will love this bike for its pro-pedigree and affordability. Ridden to 4th in the Tour de France.