Felt F1C Road Bike

Felt F1C Road Bike

• Color: Matte Clear over Carbon
  • Ultra-high modulus carbon fiber modular monocoque with 3K weave.
  • Reynolds Ouzo Pro 100% carbon fiber fork with carbon steerer tube and crown
  • Dura-Ace 20-speed groupo

• USER REVIEWS

[Oct 01, 2008]
    Sheik Yerbooti

Strength:

-like good-old butter!
    -trademark Felt matte-black stealth finish
    -matte black makes scratches unnoticable
    -superior dampening properties
    -very well-laid out cable routing
    -Made in Taiwan (keeps carbon prices reasonable)

-Made in Taiwan (distracting moniker for naysayers)
    -superior dampening is lost somewhat in power transfer

Like Linda Richman says on SNL's old Coffee Talk skits... "it's like budda!" I've always admired Felt bikes - ever since Paula Newby-Fraser won a few Ironmans in the early 90's. There was just something really cool about the stealth matte-black and his Easton roots. Jim really does his homework, although Chris Boardman complained about "something still missing" in the F2C (same bike-different carbon) in ProCycling. But the F1C has the far-superior Torayca M30 UHM carbon-same grade as some spacecraft.

I have several other all-carbon bikes and this is by far the softest, but in a good way because it's also the smoothest. I'll never forget the first few rides on this bike, especially after being used to riding many other stiff "racing" bikes. It was like butter! Then again, every component except the Dura-Ace + pedals on this bike are carbon. I also swap between Zipp+Conti 4000 clinchers and American Classic carbon wheels+Conti Competition-22 tubulars. The overall package is just like butter! This smoothness really comes in handy to soak up bad roads, and I believe it distributes balance better overall. In comparison, my other stiffer bikes act like a Lamborghini with the tail-end losing grip from too much power transfer. It also makes very-fast descents feel extra stable as you feel like you're in better control.

That's why I spend the most time riding this bike. It's the least rough-riding, but I guess some of the softness/ dampening is lost when you need to put the pedal to the metal. That's why it appears Felt has remedied this deficit with a "F1 Sprint" variant. On a final note, I worry how Felts of late seem to be straying away from spec'ing brand-name parts instead with their own line of good - but still not as good - quality parts, obviously as a cost-cutting measure.

LOOK kg386
    LOOK kg196
    bpStealth (like a Lotus)
    Cannondale CAAD

[May 31, 2008]
    efisher

Strength:

Stiff bottom bracket. Smooth ride makes even the biggest bumps less harsh. Upright position

Compact geometry takes a little getting use to.

My Bike is actually a 2008. It is very smooth riding but when I pedal hard it goes. Nice componant selection. SLR saddle takes a little getting use to, as you would expect.

Giant TCR 0 (aluminum frame), Giant CFR2, Cannondale R3000.

[Jul 23, 2007]
    Aaron Anaya

Strength:

Stiff, light, aggresive, affordable for a carbon, dura ace bike that had an msrp of 4600. totally stoked on the ride.

tires, saddle! otherwise it may just be you the rider that is weak.

Just bought my first carbon bike and I am totally stoked. 2005 F1c 58cm weighing in at 15.05lb. I was riding a felt previously and love the geometry. This carbon bike is stifff and met for the aggressive rider. Climbs hills like crazy but was a little worried about some noises along the ride. Carbon handle bars and frame are awesome. Felt didn't skimp on anything but the saddle and tires. I replaced the saddle with a fizik saddle.

[Oct 02, 2006]
    Saaboy

2006 model. Dear feltracer, I was once considering swapping out my reynolds fork for the ec90 slx, but maybe I'll hold off on that. Carbon forks due tend to break if you're flying on your bike.

The reason I'm writing this message is to help you on your journey to eliminating that cracking. I encountered this problem too and tried everything including: messing w/ headset, removing stem and handlebar and re-tightening bolts to recommended torque, greased all those bolts' threads. I tried all that at least 3 times and nothing worked. Then I realized that the cracking might be coming from where the fork meets the wheel. It turns out, the front ES wheel has two magnetic bushings or spaces that fit between the hub and the fork, one on each side. Pull those out and grease up both sides of the bushing spacer thing.

07 looks nice, but I like ES and K wing over new mavics and non-k wing

[Sep 30, 2006]
    feltracer

Strength:

Carbon, Carbon and Dura-ace and the wheels selection did not hurt.

How can I blame this fork! No one has heard of one breaking. But still I will keep with the rynolds fork from here on out.

I also have the 2006 which I believe was a big inprovement over the 05. I have just seen the 07s. I still am pleased with the 06. Not sure that I like the carbon rims and it looks to be missing the fsa bars. The bike is light and quick. I love everything about this bike except for the easton fork that it came with. Yes I received a rare 06 with the 90slx but check this out on my first ride. I am hearing what sounds to be cracking. I figure I will need to go over the bike and do some tightening. Well six miles into the ride I go to correct from a very strong gust of wind (I was not going to let a stong wind keep me from riding it the first day)and the next thing I noticed is that I have gone over the bars and Im laying on the ground with a broken fork leg. No one can beleive that the carbon fiber fork just broke. My brother-in-law was riding behind me and just could not believe what had happened. Well Felt is taking care of the fork and luckly I was not injured.

Giant OCR1 2004

[Aug 19, 2006]
    Saaboy

Strength:

Weight, color, stiffness.

Take off the stock saddle, and tires... immediately... Not as plush as F3C

I actually own the 2006. I'm so excited!!!

I cannot express in words how 'amped' I STILL am about this bike. The carbon weave with the Matte finish is invigorating.

The way the bike is specced is great. Ksyrium ES wheelset go great with the weight and COLOR scheme of the frame. It's as if Mavic made these red hubs and spokes specially for this model Felt. Full Dura-Ace 10 components are solid. Seatpost is great. Reynolds make legit forks, although I wouldn't get too worked up if Felt had sent me the bike with an EC90 SLX. The handlebars are great. That K-wing makes climbing a whole lot more enjoyable. It really does feel great to hold.

Everyone knows Felts main business is closer to price-point bikes than dream machines. Doesn't change the fact that you will get compliments left and right. This bike is great. You will notice the stiffness and weight difference, especially when my last bike was an F3C.

Apparently the difference between the F3C frame and the F1C frame is VHM (very high modulus) to UHM (ultra high modulus). I didn't really know Ultra and Very were such technical terms in CF. Either way, the ULTRA high modulus CF is lighter and stiffer, but you are sacrificing a little bit of ride comfort. Please do not let this scare you away from the bike though. It still rides like carbon fiber, and the stiffness and weight savings will make up for the ride comfort 10-fold.

Note to possible customers, upon receiving the bike, do these...

1) swap out the ultra-thin tubes and puncture-attracting tires. I got conti tubes and GP attack and force.

Felt F3C.

[Jul 22, 2006]
    davepediatrix

Strength:

Extremely stiff laterally, sprints and climbs well. Handles like a Formula-1 race car on rails!

Could be a bit more vertically compliant.

This bike has unbelievable handling! I don't know if its the Easton EC90 SLX fork, the frame itself or the combination of the two, but when I ride my F1C, the bike and I are one unit. It accomplishes this without being too "twitchy". I had complete confidence going into corners halfway through my first ride. This is something I couldn't say even after three years on my last carbon bike. The F1C carves turns and handles steep sweeping descents with complete predictability. I had been riding Dura Ace 9-speed for years and the Dura Ace 10-speed is sooo much better! It shifts crisply and flawlessly and doesn't need to be continually adjusted.

Trek 5200
    Trek 5900 Superlight

[May 04, 2006]
    Philo

Strength:

Very stiff bottom bracket area. Smooth predictable ride you can stay on all day. With a strong wheelset, a good crankset, you'll be sprinting when ever you have the chance and grinning like a madman doing it. It's just that much fun on this bike.

One nitpick, I was disappointed by the Felt ST-21 seat post that come with the frame. I just couldn't get the single bolt tight enough to not move if I slip off a pedal or hit a hard bump. Went to a Thompson Masterpiece and no more issues.

I picked up this frame set at a close out price when the '06s hit the streets and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I am a bigger rec racer/triathlete/commuter (6'1"-190lbs) coming off a Kestrel Talon. The Talon had a typical old school carbon bike ride, plush and comfortable. Unfortunately, that plushness came at the expense of stiffness as the bike was flexy and inefficient. I was happy in my ignorance for two years. On a whim, I stopped at a high end bike shop during a ride and asked to test out a couple of new bikes, specifically the Pinarello F4:13, Litespeed Vortex, and Cervelo Soloist Carbon. After riding each of them for 20 minutes and while liking each of the bikes in their own way, I didn't really fall in love with any of them. I was also a bit sticker shocked, as well. As I was thanking the salesmen for their time, another rider came up and offered up his own Felt F1C for me to test ride. I was a little nervous about testing a strangers personal ride, but he assured me that Felt would cover any problems(except a crash, of course). It took about 10 minutes of riding to discover that this was the bike for me. The ride quality was comfortable yet lively, lightweight but a feel of strength. I sprinted few times to see if I could flex the frame at all, but no luck. As I rode back up to the shop, the stranger had a grin on his face, probably because he knew I was going to like the bike. The shop, however didn't stock that particular frameset and suggested I call them directly for any possible deals. I was in luck and pick up a frameset for a huge bargin. I went back to the same shop and worked with them to get the parts I needed to build the twin of the stranger's ride. BTW, the extremely helpful shop was Nytro in Encinitas, the best road shop in San Diego County.

Kestrel Talon, Trek 5200, Specialized Ironman(old school steel)

[Apr 30, 2006]
    Two Wheeler

Strength:

Amazing ride - smooth without being "dead". Deceptively fast, great handling ride. Climbs like a goat on crack.

Aggressive, racing-oriented riding position not ideal for everyone.

Just made the switch from an aluminum Specialized Allez Comp (the MarioMobile). The differences have been rather subtle and surprising.

I was expecting a nervous, high strung, uncomfortable, racing thoroughbred. I was mostly wrong.

First off, it's silly light! This does NOT translate to "nervous", "super snappy" or "blindingly fast". Instead, what you get is great handling, a bike that accelerates deceptively quickly, and subtle speed, without drama. Very much like one of those cars that's so smooth you don't know you're doing 90 until you look at the speedo! Yesterday I was doing seated accelerations from 15 mph and was able to spin up to 20 with almost no effort - that's a tribute to the bike, not the motor!

With the Vittorias cranked up to the recommended 130 psi, if you ride over a dime, you can tell the date on it, yet the ride is not harsh at all. Very impressive.

On my first ride on the bike I went on my training loop. There's a long, windy slight downgrade that ends at a sharp 10 mph bend. Normally, I back off from about 25 or so, yet, even on a brand new bike I'd never ridden before, I felt perfectly comfortable throwing the bike into the curve without touching the brakes.

About the only time the light weight and short wheelbase translated to "sketchy" was bombing down an 11% grade....and that may have been unfamiliarity with the new bike or lack of testicular fortitude on my part! I hit 41 MPH and backed off...

Orbea Orca (test rode), Cannondale Synapse(test rode), Specialized Tarmac SL (test rode), Specialized Roubaix (test rode).