Felt F3C Road Bike

F3C

• Color: Gloss Clear over Carbon
  • High modulus carbon fiber modular monocoque with 3K weave.
  • Reynolds Ouzo Comp
  • Mavic Aksium Race wheelset
  • Vittoria Rubino Slick tires
  • Felt micro adjust carbon seatpost
  • Felt carbon oversized handlebar with Ergonomic drop
  • Felt ST-22 3D-forged stem
  • Felt Race-lite saddle with carbon injected base
  • Shimano Dura-Ace 20-speed shifters and derailleur
  • Truvativ Rouleur 2-piece carbon compact crankset with external BB and 7075/T6 CNC alloy 50/36T machined chainrings

• User Reviews (9)

Phil Yenovkian   Road Racer [Feb 06, 2013]
    Strength:

Light, versatile, durable, great bike for the price. Great crit bike as well as road racer.

Might run a little large. Cheap wheels and brakes.

I shopped for a bike in 2006 and found my F3C new on eBay. Was riding a new $895 Bottecchia (Taiwanese knock-off) and a 1987 $230 Peugot at the time so had nothing really to compare it to. I just want to have an expensive bike, read some reviews, and settled on this one. After 6 years of riding I feel I know the bike well enough to write this review.

I have crashed my F3C several times, used it as a daily commuter, raced it, and put on over 10,000 miles counting just times the computer was on it. About half the time, usually when weather is really bad or roads are muddy, I ride my Schwinn DBX with fenders the 18 miles to work (6500 miles on this bike). That is the only compromise I made using the Felt regularly and for everything. I have to say this bike has never made me sorry that I bought it.

As other have done, I swapped out the Aksiums, which are durable but heavy, with Kysrium SLs. I replaced the no-name brakes with KCNCs. I have several other non-original parts on the bike too but this is because I wrecked them and had to replace them. Actually, only the frame, fork, derailleurs, shifters, and crank are original. Since owning my F3C I have rented road bikes on vacation, taken my friends bikes on rides, and borrowed bikes when mine was "out of service", sometimes for a month or more. Nothing feels like my F3C. I know some might say this is just because I am used to the Felt but I disagree. I adjust all my bikes to the same specifications so the fit is close to the same.

In comparison to all other bikes I've ridden, the Felt feels quick and nimble. It accelerates easily, feels light (it is 16.3 lbs fully burdened with computer, tool bag, and pedals), yet feels stable underneath me. But what impresses me most is that this bike is still running after all it has been through. That attests to the quality of the frame and fork, which is really what sets one bike apart from another since they all mostly use Shimano/Campy/SRAM components. Other differences can be attributed to personal preference, the geometry, or the variety in components, but durability is determined in the quality of the manufacturing of the frame and fork. After all it has been through, my F3C shows no signs of cracking or other wear. The finish is as good as the day I got it. Although it was manufactured in 2006, this bike would be competitive in today's market.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Specialized, Schwinn, Giant, Bottecchia, Peugeot
    Dane Redmond   Road Racer [Oct 21, 2011]
    Strength:

-Light, stiff, and fast
    -The frame provides a smooth and comfortable ride without sacrificing performance.
    -Nice geometry, at least for me.

-The brake pads are a little weak. Just switch them out for some Kool Stops and you'll be stopping on a dime!

I recently bought this bike used and it only had 2200 miles on it. Before I had this bike I owned a 2007 Scott Speedster with 105 groupo. It was quite the change over to a full carbon frame. It rides like a dream. Coupled with the FSA Carbon Pro crankset, I think I have myself quite the machine. The Dura Ace shifting is crisp and accurate. The frame is good for sprinting and great for climbing. My 58cm weighed in at 17.3 lbs and that's with my 386gram pedals. Overall, I'm very please with this bike and plan to have it for quite awhile.

anhinga   Recreational Rider [Feb 09, 2010]
    Strength:

great handling, smoothness, quick acceleration

none so far

I bought just the frame which was a brand new leftover and used a mix of components I had and liked. This bike is simply wonderful. I've been riding for 40 years on all sorts of bikes and this one is the best so far. Its handling is quick and precise, it's smooth as silk, and it accelerates like no other bike I've owned. I wouldn't have thought this was possible at my age but my speed has increased a couple of mph over sections of road I've ridden for years. Overall, this bike is a real winner.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale, Serrota, Frejus, Legnano, (just to show how old I really am), lots of others
    mark shells   Recreational Rider [Jul 29, 2009]
    Strength:

Stiff yet forgiving, climbs way better than I do and decends as well as any I have ever ridden. smooth ride over rough terain. and drop dead good looks.

It doesn't even know the word

Over thirty years of riding, including much racing on custom builts, this is the overall smootest, best riding frame I have had under me. My component selection is also one made up from my experience. this bike simply performs and keeps performing.

Similar Products Used: Paramount, TCR, Casati, Olmo, Alan, Colin Laing Customs, Specialized, Trek, Masi...others
    bberry   Recreational Rider [Oct 17, 2008]
    Strength:

Responsiveness, Dura Ace component group, FSA compact carbon crank

No name brakes
    Felt Seat

List price was mid 2's, but I upgraded to Ksyrium wheels in lieu of the Askiums. I immediatley felt great improvements in acceleration when sprinting or attacking on a hill with all energy seeming to be applied to my forward momentum. I tested this along with the Scott CR1. While I liked the Scott a bit more for its responsiveness, for the value and the degree of improvement over my steel frame the Felt was the easy winner.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Zurich
    rockman   Road Racer [Dec 22, 2007]
    Strength:

Very responsive to climbs.
    Comfortable on long rides.
    Excellent frame build
    DuraAce Components.

Unkown Caliper Brake brand

I purchased bike after test riding it at the bike store. I instantly fell in love with the bike's responsiveness and its solid feel when hard cranking during climbs. The frame finish is excellent and standard components make for great value.

Similar Products Used: 1996 Masi Team 3V
    dtyoshih   Recreational Rider [Dec 29, 2006]
    Strength:

Light weight, stiff bottom bracket yet also compliant. Great component package.

The brakes are not a name brand but they seem to work fine.

The FC3 that I purchased was a leftover 2006 that I purchased for dealer cost. At $2999.00 this bike is a good deal but at $1650.00 this bike is a total steal. I'm really impressed with the bike....stiff and fast when you hammer on the pedals but also very comfortable over road irregularities. The gearing is a little high for climbs but the lightness of the bike offsets this.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez
    reizao   Recreational Rider [Oct 22, 2006]
    Strength:

Weight, confort, price, design, fork, handlebar.

Wheels, stem, saddle, brakes.

Best cost-benefit you can find in the market. Very light, fast and confortable. Beatiful bike.

Similar Products Used: Felt F65, Fondriest.
    reluctanttriguy   Road Racer [May 24, 2006]
    Strength:

Quick, Stable, Smooth, and Comfortable. Lightweight with a wheel and brake caliper swap.

Dia-Compe brakes and Aksium wheels. Possibly the 74 degree seat tube for some.

2006 F3c model. I bought this bike to start competing in Sprint and olympic distance tri's. In my opinion it is the best all around bike I have ever ridden. It is extremely stiff in the lower end, yet very very smooth and compliant over the long haul. Having worked in bike shops as a mechanic for about 10 years, I have had the chance to ride just about everything out there. I have owned some great bikes, but this one seems to combine the strengths of all of them and no weaknesses. I'll start with aesthetics, the bike is beautiful in my opinion, naked Carbon weave everywhere, the entire frame, bars, seat post, and cranks, with subtle complimentary graphics. It is crit-bike quick, and a very nimble handler but with a very smooth and confidence inspiring stage racer type stability. Having put about 50,000 miles on carbon Treks in the past few years, I can say that this bike is stiffer, a better handler and more stable at the same time than the OCLV bikes due to the Ouzo Pro fork, slightly longer wheelbase and more trail. Stock, the weight is a little high, but a few well spent $$ will bring it down into the ultralight class. Firstly and mostly, dump the tank tread heavy, although very good quality Mavic Aksium wheels for a rock solid light weight set ala DT-Swiss RR-1450's, or Easton Ascent II's and loose almost 1.5 lbs. Either will put this bike at or near 16 lbs with no other weight weenie replacements, but add Dura Ace brakes, and an light saddle and you are flirting with the mid 15's. Overall, besides the cheap Dia-Compe brakes, I think the Felt F3c is the High $2k price point leader in spec, quality, and performance.

Similar Products Used: Trek OCLV, 5200, 5500, and Madone, Lightspeed Titanium, Cannondale Alu, Specialized Allez Pro, and various Italian steel, Carbon, and aluminum bikes, but have ridden just about everything.