Felt F85 Road Bike

Red

WEIGHT
19.4 lbs.

FRAME
Felt Exclusive 7005 F-Lite custom-butted aluminum tubing. Externally relieved integrated head tube, forged dropouts with replaceable hanger

FORK
Felt Carbon Fiber Fork with Aluminum Steerer

DRIVETRAIN
Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur/105 20-speed Shifters and Front Derailleur, FSA Gossamer Aluminum with ISIS BB with 50/36T Chainrings, 650c 53/39

WHEELSET
Alex AKX 700c R2.0 wheelset, 700 x 23 Vittoria Action HSD Folding Tires; 650c Alex AKX R2.0TRI, 650 Felt Inertia

COMPONENTS
Felt Aluminum Bar with Ergonomic Drop, Felt 1.2 3D-Forged Stem, Felt 1.2 Saddle with Carbon Injected Base, Felt 1.3 Carbon Seatpost, Dual Pivot Aluminum Brakeset with Koolstop Cartridge Pads

[Nov 23, 2013]
Nigel

Strength:

Finish is first class and the frame is by far the best in this price bracket in terms of build quality. The wheels are pretty good at this price point and the general ride quality is very good, if not a little harsh being all AL. Looks far more expensive to the untrained eye.

Not sure when Felt moved from Shimano 105 to Tiagra on this model but I'm about to upgrade back to 105 as the Tiagra components spoil a good bike. I changed the saddle after about 30 miles as again this is a budget component. I had a couple of spokes loosen off but my LBS fixed those.

Bought in January of 2013, I've been riding this bike for close to a year and as a first bike after many decades off two wheels it's a good place to start. It's not the best climber and the frame geometry is aimed at the road racer rather than the century rider but I've been generally pretty impressed with the bike. I rode my first century on it this Fall and had no issues. Nothing has broken and for the $1000 I paid this makes a great training or first road bike. My next bike will probably be a Felt and the F85 will be the indoor trainer

[Nov 07, 2013]
steve shepherd

Strength:

Very light and good spec

none so far

Having been a mountain biker for 20 years i decided to buy a road bike..I did my homework and whittled it down to 3 models and opted for the felt F85 in white...a cracking bike..fast and responsive...saddles seems a tad hard but it is new so i'll give it some more time to bed in. So far all good.

[Dec 03, 2012]
Jonathan Ku

Strength:

I brought the Felt F85 whilst on a budget and looking for a starter road bike, originally I had intended to purchase a Giant defy 3 or 4, which is approximately the same price in Hong Kong, however, after looking at the build quality of the Felt, and the use of components, I immediately dropped all notions of getting a Giant bike and instead focusing on the Felt. I've had the bike for a few months now, and it has been an absolute joy to ride, especially on flat or uphill/downhill, even roads. Had no problems whatsoever with the bike and am mightily impressed. I get all sorts of looks whilst riding, as the bike is indeed a very attractive one.

The brakes pads need changing, as these are relatively weaker than most other bikes I've rode on. The front derailleur also requires significantly more strength to shift, and does not change gears easily while travelling at medium pace. Generally, before the uphill part, I go as fast as I can and change the gears instead of a gentle ride uphill.

Great value for money, excellent base model to start upgrading from, no problems or major causes of concern. In all, an excellent bike for training and the occasional race here and there.

[Jul 08, 2012]
Jay Habit

Strength:

This is a great bike. The other bikes I looked at were a bit more expensive but offer less. I feel this is a solid road bike. After bike fitting it was amazing. I would buy again.

At this point weaknesses are minimal. I have logged 80 miles in four days and don't have a complaint.

Great value for the money. My riding partner is impressed with looks as is everyone. I would buy again. I saved 800 dollars from the carbon I was looking at with inferior components. Buy the Felt.

[Mar 06, 2012]
Hans

Strength:

Great over all bike for the buck.

Anything negative about the bike would be the gear changers, it takes a lot of pushing to get the gears changed but it one of these things that one gets what one pays for.....or maybe get use to it....

First of all I have to say that this is my first road bike and I have only put less than 20 hours on it. However as a first experience, this bike is great!! Fast, stiff, strong and very light (at least to what I am use to)

[Oct 09, 2011]
Fatadkins

Strength:

Good ride, handling, components.

Brakes are the weakest component but some good aftermarket pads will fix them.

Great bike. Not a fan of carbon so this is top of the line for me. The f85 is a super solid bike. Don't have deep pockets so carbon frames don't even interest me. This bike rocks! Great ride with the carbon fork. Wheel set is on the cheap side but they are tough. Stock vittoria rubber is great. Bike is very solid when climbing out of the saddle. Handles high speed turns great. If you are a fan of aluminum you will love this bike. And I gets lots of compliments on the looks. Felt definitely knows how to make a bike turn heads. Screw the over priced carbon bikes, save your money, buy aluminum and ride!! This Felt rocks!!!!!!

[Oct 02, 2010]
KodiakClark

Strength:

Great paint job, carbon fork, 105 components

original seat, brakes seam a little soft, but that could be cause they are brand new.

This is actually a 2011 model, but that wasn't available from the drop down. I've only had the bike a few days but so far I'm really impressed. It's smooth as butter, shifts are crisp and accurate. I actually like the Microshift shifters over the 105's. The original seat was hard as a rock, so I had them switch it out with a seat from a Felt F5. Felt claims the bike weighs 19.41 lbs. All I know is that it feels like a feather compared to the 30+ lb. mountain bike that I was riding.

[Sep 05, 2009]
Jon Stringer

Strength:

Felt makes a nice aluminum frame.
Shimano 105 groupo is rock solid.
Light and Durable.

The Mavic cpx22 wheels are a disappointment. Broken spokes and untrued wheels all summer long. Doesn't match up to the durability of the rest of the bike. upgrade your wheels!

The 2009 F85 is beautiful,well equipped, and is sturdy/light enough to handle a wide variety of needs. Myself and 43 others rode our '09 F85s from Austin, TX to Anchorage, AK this summer. www.texas4000.org for pics. I have appx 7000 miles on my bike, and it's in perfect working order. 19 lbs, 105s, and strong.

Specialized Allez

[May 14, 2009]
feltkid83

Strength:

Nice compact double chainring and integrated shifters great 10 speed in the rear shifts smooth and with the 105/ultegra setup i am happy with my first bike.

Seat is a little hard if you have never ridden but it will break into your ass a little after you ride it some.

I have a 2008 Felt F85 and it is a great ride. The components are great. I put Shimano 105 pedals on and those are great also for the money and adjustable tension that I am able to use on the pedals.

[Mar 23, 2009]
z28z34man

Strength:

great value for the components

could use a better set of wheels

I have the 2009 felt f85 and I love it. It's a huge improvement over my old mountain bike. This is the best bike for dollar I could find? it has an entire 105 drive train and carbon fork and seat post. I abstrusely love the compact front and 10 speed out back. So far I have over 200 miles on it I will update this when I get a chance to ride it more

test road a trek 2.3 compact