Fuji Bicycles SL-1 Road Bike

SL-1

Whether inThe peloton or out on aTraining rideThe SL1 Pro isThe clear winner. It features a carbon fiber fame with a refined geometry, qualityShimano components and fast rolling wheels.Frame C-4 carbon 1 1/8" integrated headtube ComponentsShimano Ultegra front and rear derailleursShimano Ultegra shift leversShimano Ultegra cassetteTektro Dual pivot brakes Oval handlebar, stem & seatpost No pedals Wheels Oval W-524 aero clincher wheelset Vittoria Zaffiro IITires

WWayne   Recreational Rider [Jan 09, 2011]
Strength:

This bike is Rigid and light without being harsh or dead. Everything works as advertised and to Ultegra standards.

None so far.

I am back from my first (setup) ride and am impressed. Pavement irregularity are transmitted without amplification, overshoot or ringing. Steering is quick yet precise. Peddle input is direct and without apparent loss or delay.
Adjustments made were mostly for personal tastes with some that could have been made at the shop. Adjust saddle forward for better reach and raised, adjust stem for strait on, lighten peddle grip, rotate brake levers in and bars up for strait wrists, center front brake (defected wheel enough to cause magnet to touch the speed pickup, and bend the cable end on the front derailure - rubbed the rear rim when in the big chain ring.

I think I am going to LIKE this bike.

Similar Products Used: In reverse cronological order, Schwinn World tour - commuter, Scatante SRF Race, Fuji Team Pro, Bianchi carbon, Litespeed, Canondale duraAce, Pogliagi, 1970 Bianchi Campy Pro. and a Simplex Pugo(sp).
They don't make them like they used to, thank God.
jftrain   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2010]
Strength:

Love the look of the bike with all black components and wheels. Super light and stiff. Great value.

None.

Bought frame from Ebay, then put Rival group from another Fuji. Replaced that group with complete Dura Ace 7900 group. Frame is super light and stiff. Love everything about this bike.

Similar Products Used: Fuji team and Specialized tarmac.
scooberama   Road Racer [Sep 16, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, looks, climbing and descending!

None for the frame. Cheap cranks on the Performance Pro version (alloy FSAs).

Love the SL1. I had been eyeing just the frame and fork for a while. I had a 2005 Fuji Pro with 7800 Dura Ace. Was planning on swapping the parts over. Then performance had a crazy one weekend only sale and their Pro version of the SL1 (lower end stuff on it than the Red and Dura Ace bikes you usually see, but same frame/fork). It came out at $1,799 for a Ultegra SL bike with Kysrium Elite wheels. I have upgraded the wheels to Dura Ace Cl24s, and swapped out a lot of the alloy stuff for FSA carbon. It weighs in at just over 15 now (vs. the 14.67 they claim for the Red and DA versions). Just love it. Looks as good as it rides.

Similar Products Used: Fuji Professional (2005 model with Dura Ace 7800 stuff)
harold   Recreational Rider [Aug 01, 2009]
Strength:

super reponce

bof

extremely light weigh, super handle and good smouth ride. Climbs and rush like a rocket.The bike a super responce to power inputs.Highly recommened.

Similar Products Used: look 585 look 566 caad 9 specialized allez ...
nattydixon   Road Racer [May 11, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent climbing bike, very sure in the bends. Stiff enough to sprint on (for a little guy like me anyhow). The ridiculous carbon saddle is actually pretty comfortable when you get used to it.

Paint/decals look great, but are delicate. A little bit of the silver leaf came off just from peeling away the manufacturer's warning stickers.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a ProTour-caliber race bike. Very light, very stiff. It has quick, precise handling, and responds well to a sudden burst of power.

Sizing is a little bit odd. I stand 5'5" with a 29" inseam, and ride the 47 cm (normally ride around a 50). It works really well with my relatively short legs and long reach. It's very comfortable with all hand positions, especially in the drops. On the other hand, a teammate has had trouble getting used to his 50 cm, which apparently has an effective top tube length that's 6 cm longer than his 52 cm Cervelo.

All in all, this bike is very, very fun to ride, as it ought to be for the price.

Similar Products Used: Various aluminum race bikes.
toddereed   Road Racer [Feb 17, 2009]
Strength:

My LBS cannot be beat. Hands down. The bike is a racing machine. It does it all perfectly. It climbs like a goat, corners on rails, and descends fearlessly.

While awesome, no bicycle off the show room floor is perfect for every rider. For some reason the stem comes stock ultra long. No problem with my LBS. Also, my seat post was cockeyed, and the Ritchey single bolt mechanism isn't perfect. Again, my LBS delivered, actually giving me a loaner off his personal ride. I can't say enough about those guys.

This is for the 2009 model. Jon at 360 in Owasso is the best LBS ever. Hands down the best racing bike I've ever ridden. Stock, SRAM Red, Ritchey WCS stem/bar/seat post, and Reynolds carbon wheels,is a little over 14 pounds. Once I got the bike dialed in (the saddle went up on ebay) the bike fit me like a glove. This bike does it all; believe the hype. I've never understood the meaning of "stiff but compliant" but I think I know now. Stomp on the pedals and this bike accelerates. And I mean ACCELERATES. But you don't realize you've been on it for 5 hours. That's what "stiff but compliant" means. It corners on rails, climbs much better than my belly will allow, and descends without a single shimmy. I mean nothing but wind. I will say again...best racing bike I've ever ridden.

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200, madone, Cannondale
bianchibuddy   Road Racer [May 30, 2008]
Strength:

wicked light, semi-compact frame fits me very well, fork is light and supple but not flexy.

the silver graphics and logos are not my favorite, but look clean overall

My SL is an 08. I love the ride! Super light, stiff but very comfortable, clean lines and minimal graphics. I think it is an excellent climbing bike but I ride it for everything.

Similar Products Used: last bike was a Fuji Team Issue carbon, had a few high end Aluminum Schwinns, GTs, Cannondale
ejprez   Road Racer [Nov 10, 2007]
Strength:

Ride and weight.
Frame stiffness.
Looks.

Fuji name not appealing to some morons.
Though they are usualy behind me.

Wow, such a great bike, I purchased a 2007 frame that the dealer was able to closeout for a real low price. Swapped my parts over and have been riding it for about 4 months. The website pics at fujibikes.com do not do this frame justice. Great ride when compared to my Cannondale CAAD8 and Trek OCLV. Very stiff and smooth riding. Such a light frame, I would recommend anyone to get one of these from Countrysidecycling.com, before the 2007 model is sold out. 2008 is the same but just a slightly different graphic.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez M4
Trek OCLV
Cannondale R5000
king-tony   Recreational Rider [Aug 16, 2007]
Strength:

Geometry, component group (pretty much nothing to upgrade), stiffness, looks, handling.

Finish... The stickers on this thing just look cheap. Both Kenda tubes blew in the first week including one that blew the tire off the rim (the LBS said they had seen this on several bikes and were thinking of just putting new tubes in the bikes when the arrive).
I also wish their were choices on the cassette, der. cage lenght, and stem length. It comes with an 11X23, short cage and 130 mm stem. Everyone of these items is off the charts expensive and the LBS does not have them laying around to swap-out.

I have the SL-1c version of this bike. A few years ago I probably would not have considered Fuji, but I have seen more and more of them popping up at the local pack races and began to look into them. I am a 215 lbs rider and this was my first venture into a full carbon fiber bike. The bike is very sharp in person. The photos do not do the carbon weave on this bike justice. Also, the "semi-compact" geometry is very subtle. You really have to stare at the bike for a second to realize that the top tube does slope. This makes a big difference for me as I can certainly tell that the front end is taller, but in a good way that does not destablize the bike on descents. The Record group is what you would expect from top-end Campy and the carbon fiber Ritchey cockpit is ultra light, but appears to be quite strong. I thought the Aspide carbon saddle would end up on e-bay, but I have been on several 3 hour rides now and am actually becoming a fan of this saddle. The bike accelerates extremely well, is very stable, and is a fantastic climbing bike. I am thrilled with this bike so far.