Giant Anyroad Road Bike

Giant Anyroad Road Bike

This all-new one-of-a-kind bike is designed with a lightweight yet durable ALUXX alloy frame featuring a taller headtube and increased toptube stand-over distance for confident handling. AnyRoad’s wide range of gears, ergo-shaped handlebars and user-friendly disc braking system with specially designed levers make it easy to ride on smooth or bumpy roads-or even dirt. Its wide, puncture-proof 32c tires let you explore without any worries. Anywhere, any weather, AnyRoad.

[Jul 20, 2018]
SteveSD

Strength:

I had been searching for a new drop-bar "all-road" type bike and came across the Giant Anyroad. For me, the most important characteristic of the bike was an upright riding position that could accommodate my blown out shoulder and rheumatoid arthritis. The Giant Anyroad has one of the highest stack to reach ratios I could find (1.65-size large) for a budget friendly bike designed for drop bars. The Anyroad has met or exceeded all of my expectations. It handles well in both pavement and off-pavement conditions. It's not a mountain bike, so I didn't expect it to be able to tackle technical off-road trails, but it handles surprisingly good on smoother singletrack trails. All of the components function well, keeping in mind its budget price. The wide range gearing is definitely a plus. Regarding the other reviewer comments about the tire clearance, I was able to fit a 38mm tire and still have reasonable clearance at the chainstays - that is clearance for socal dry conditions. The chainstays on the aluminum frame are a different shape than those on the carbon frame (i.e., round vs rectangular), so if tire clearance is of major importance, consider the Anyroad carbon.

My only nits about the Anyroad, which are minor, are the D-fuse seatpost - I'm not a fan of non-standard components. However, it definitely works as advertised. The other nit is the handlebar. My preference would be something with less drop and a little more sweep. Although handlebar preference is highly personal. One last piece of advice. The seatpost uses a wedge style clamp. Be sure to use a torque wrench on the clamp bolt. I had some slipping issues because the salesman adjusted the seat height and failed to torque the bolt sufficiently using a little allen key. The mechanic used a torque wrench, and I've had no problems since.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[May 13, 2018]
gravelbikerfromg

Strength:

Ughhh I lost a long review thanks to the registration process... so 5/5. Might give WHY later.

Seat mount adjustment

[Mar 05, 2018]
zeerobb

Strength:

I was looking for a bike that could be very versatile on any situation, road or gravel and this bike fits the bill, I love the upright position it offers. I took this bike on our Kansas flint/gravels roads on its very first maiden voyage, it had warmed up in the 60s and the ice thaw from a ice storm had the roads in a peanut butter mess. The bike handles very well through the mud, washboards and deep sandy conditions that we came across after graders smoothed out the washboards. I did take the stock 32s off the bike and installed tubeless Clements 40s on front and a 38 on the rear, be warned that the chainstay does narrow out by the seat tube , but a 38 will fit no problem, the front fork has plenty of clearance for a 40, maybe even a 45, but the bike was not designed for strictly gravel, hence the smaller tires, 35s would be a better choice if you wanted to make this a road and gravel fun bike, my 2018 does have rack mounts and the large will fit 2 water bottle cages. although the wheels are tubeless compatible, be aware that the rim tape is not! I found that out the hard way. overall great bike for the price, I got mine for $920, weighs 24#, the allux aluminum is way better and lighter than what is offered by other companies also comes with extra brake levers on the top bar and a little bell to warn walkers on your path or road. Great bike!

stock tires are 32s with some aggressive tread, rim tape is not tubeless ready, chainstay narrows up a bit to limit tire size to 38s.

[Oct 09, 2017]
steve langello

Strength:

Good standover, comfortable rider positioning, compliant ride.

Design flaw in frame won't allow for wider tires

While I like the bikes feel and complaint ride as a gravel bike it should have the ability to handle wider tires but a design flaw in the chainstays puts the "bulge" for the tire where the rim is. This puts the tire into the narrow part of the yoke and restricts the tire width to around 35's. You would think a big frame manufacturer like giant would have noticed this. Somebody dropped the ball on this one. As a bike that can handle any road it needs to be able to accommodate tires for those roads. I would recommend giant change the name to someroads. Anything is only as good as its weakest part and for this I give the bike an 'F'.

[Aug 21, 2015]
DavidAlanEastTexas

Strength:

Amazingly versatile bike. I wanted a 'rough road roadbike' for our gravel filled, pot-holed East Texas county roads. This one is perfect for the task. But, on smooth pavement, it feels as well sorted - better actually, than most road bikes I have or have ridden. As my son, a Cat 2 racer noted: "This bike has amazing balance, the handling & nimble-ness are far above average..." Also, it manages to soften the bumps & imparts a 'ride me all day long, lively carbon frame feel'. Amazing considering the weight is 24#. (I am told the full carbon version of this bike, the Anyroad Comax, is 21 #) But the bike rolls smooth & sweet. Only on a steep incline does the weight become apparent. But the 9 speed Sora cassette has just right gears to make it go quick, quicker than a cycloross gravel bike should. On my first group ride, I was able to keep up with the Cat 2-3 leaders just a few ticks behind, and in sight on a 20% grade. Even there, I stayed in the middle front chainring. On this 'lower tier' Anyroad 2 (2015) model, it's a 3x9 Shimano Sora group. Which is fine with me, as I was wanting a unique 'Cross-capable Gravel & rough road bike' - so I don't gripe about a bit of extra weight. When I want fast, I can hop on my Track bike or 10 speed Full Carbon GT roadbike. High marks to the Avid BB Disc brakes. Though mechanically cable operated, they offer superb stopping power & modulating ability. My first experience with any Discs on a road type bike, I am impressed with the feel & stopping power vs. typical rim brakes. They seem to offer 50% more stopping power in any situation. Hard to see any downsides in terms of their operation, and several upsides.

Another advantage was the nice price. It was just $ 1049 - a relative bargain, and got 10% off on the model year clearance.

I have heard the Anyroad Comax, Carbon version is about $ 2000 - which now seems very reasonable considering the great virtues of this unique design.

The only possible one could be the weight, 24#. But I must add: every subjective impression - how it handles, the immediate & pleasureable pedal responsiveness, belies the weight. The bike feels every bit as livley as my 17 # carbon road bike, so it's perhaps a theoretical objection.

No 2 nd water bottle cage holes. (frame size won't allow)

No pannier rack mounts

I've only done 3 rides & less than 100 miles, but am thoroughly impressed so far. I ride 5000 miles a year, so this bike is set to get a workout very shortly. I look forward to our local group rides - to see how & if it helps me or hinders me from keeping pace with the others.

The Unique frame, where the top tube & seat stays connect in a full arc, have both aesthetically & practically appeal. As the saying goes: 'Form follows function' or stated another way: It looks better once you see how incredibly well the bike rides.

Then again, I don't mind new & challenging experiences:

I've been riding a single speed (48 x 18t) & fixed road bike (2010 Specialized Street Langster) road bike for most of the last year, to help build strength.

I will try to come back & update this review once more miles & rides rack up.