Giant Defy 1 Road Bike

Giant Defy 1 Road Bike

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested in a ...

[Apr 12, 2018]
JimDenni

Strength:

I have a Defy 1 2016 with 105 Groupset and PR2 wheels. This is a reasonably light bike (about 9kg) for an aluminium frame, and the 11-speed 105 chainset makes for very smooth changes and it's a great bike for hill climbing and Sportives / Endurance rides. It rolls very well - I normally find myself flying past people downhill when freewheeling. Great looking bike and strong, reliable frame.

I've covered 16000km (10000mi) on this bike in 22 months. It has some very weak areas which means I now question it's value for money if (like me) you ride a lot, in all weathers (I'm in the UK). The OEM 25mm tyres are the first thing to change - they only lasted me about 8 months (4000km) and I swapped them for 28mm Continental GP4000 IIS and haven't looked back. The other weak area is the drive train. Believe it or not I'm already on my fourth freehub. Giant store have replaced 2 of them under warranty. They're puzzled but I'm not impressed. Also the 11-speed groupset means a very narrow chain - they're not cheap and need replacing every 3 months (2000km). In effect I only go about 2-3 weeks before something starts creaking or making a weird noise in the chain/sprockets/hubs. So in summary - a pretty, fast, fun bike - but it's not the workhorse I hoped it might be

Price Paid:
£900
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[Feb 07, 2013]
jrm

Strength:

Weight, componentry, comfortable, handling, aesthetics

OE kenda tires, Tectro brakeset.

I bought the "tax return bike" in spring 2011 as a 2010 closeout. i was drawn to it by various reviews and the appeal of the bikes "endurance" geometry. It has become the most comfortable bike i have since i bought it. I was disappointed by the OE tectro brakeset/pads and ended up swapping them out for a 105 brakeset/koolstop pad set up. Other then that its a great bike.

[Aug 17, 2012]
Russell

Strength:

Shimano 105 components
light frame
Relaxed riding position
Handling is superb

Seat post clamp
Seat comfort

The 2012 Defy 1 was a birthday present from my wife and kids. I have 700miles so far. It has been great so far. It handles very well and stable at high speeds. The riding position is very comfortable for long rides. The 105 components have been stellar with the proper maintenance. The only complaint is the stock saddle after only 15 miles I find it to be unbearably uncomfortable, but saddles are one of those personal preference things and a easy fix with the purchase of another saddle. This is a great entry level road bike.

Felt Z85
Fuji Roubiax 1.0
Specialized Allez

[Apr 29, 2012]
Joe

Strength:

I can have it serviced locally since they have it more than I do.

The Shimano 105 gearing has nothing but shifting issues, been in the shop twice going in again tomorrow, shifts around on its own today after riding to work (12 miles) seems again the shifting is not working correct and now upon inspection there are about 12 teeth missing on the large ring gear. Hopefully I can make it back home.

The bike seems to be a great bike, but the 105 running gear from Shimanno is NOT up to par, from the articles I read I thought I bought a bike I could be happy with but my friends are laughing now and they are riding less expensive bikes.

[Mar 05, 2012]
ragtag

Strength:

Surprised at comments about gears jumping or dropping, found the gear changing to be fine even on steep climbs (18%). But like most bikes the gears will need adjusting from time to time between rides. The wheels have taken a battering from the roads around here but they are still true, ok they aren't the lightest wheels but they are damn tough.

Bottom bracket came a little lose after 1,500 miles and started making a creaking noise. LBS sorted that out no problem.

2011 Defy 1, Tiagra/Sora

Was looking for a good all round bike for training and commuting. It's the first road bike I have had for a number of years so don't have a great deal to compare it with. I've ridden it for 4,500 miles in just under a year mostly around Surrey Hills, to the south of London. I really enjoy riding it

I recently took it in for a second service, the mechanic in the bike shop said it was in fantastic condition. This may be down to me cleaning and lubricating it very often.

The reason I got a aluminum bike was cost as I didn't know if I would ride it that much more than my hybrid. I have totally fallen in love with cycling again which is due to this bike.

[Jul 12, 2010]
Suzanne Spiers

Strength:

Smoothness and responsiveness of ride. Great gears and the carbon frame seems to take the stress of bumps away so they are mostly not noticeable. The bike is really fast and a joy to ride. Well worth every cent I paid.

The lighter frame in crosswinds. Doesn't happen a lot but when the wind is strong, I am not heavy, so I need to hold on really firmly. Only major problem would be in a crash with the carbon frame; very difficult to repair.

My current bike is a Trek Madone 4.5 WSD. It is a wonderful bike. The frame is light and the bike is extremely responsive. It has a full carbon frame and the ride is really smooth, even on bumpy surfaces. It corners well at speed and going up hills is a dream. My bike has Shimano 105's on the front and Ultegra on the rear. The gears shift really smoothly. Even on longer rides over 50 kms, it feels easy and the bike does most of the work, so riding is a pleasure. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a really good ride and for people who ride long distances at a time. Even on my usual 50 km ride, it is a dream and never disappoints. A very reliable bike.

None really. My old Indi Condor had a steel frame, but it was a very responsive bike for its time and was also a real joy to ride.

[Feb 26, 2010]
Wildflower7

Strength:

Price is good for what you get. Strong, reliable frame. Appearance is attractive. Fast ride. Holds up well in wet weather but a bit shaky when it gets windy.

Gears keep dropping out after a short while and need servicing. A bit shuddery and vibrates quite a lot over rough road surfaces; a bit uncomfortable on the rear end. Not as responsive when going down hills and around corners at speed. Not adjusted for a woman's frame, so more suited to a male. Tiagra and Sora components aren't too bad, but you really get what you pay for.

Is actually 2009 model with standard Tiagra and Sora components. I bought the bike after not being on one for over 20 years and the new technology was noticeably better; faster and smoother ride, since my last road bike was a steel Indi Condor. The bike is fairly responsive but rattles a bit going over bumpy roads. Gloves help to absorb the vibration. It is fairly stable on flat road surfaces but isn't so responsive around corners. I changed over the original tyres due to a problem with continual punctures. Changed them to 'Flatfighters' which mostly eliminated the puncture problems and I would recommend them highly. The bike is fairly light and fast, but not really designed with a woman's anatomy in mind. I have ridden this bike over 8000 kms in the year since I bought it. The Tiagra shifters work quite well but are sometimes not really smooth and the gears tend to drop out occasionally when I put my foot down. Then my whole posture shifts suddenly which is not really comfortable. Lucky that I have very good balance. The bike has had to go for servicing probably more than I would like, simply to correct the gears from dropping out. Overall, the bike is good for someone wanting a reasonable road bike at a manageable price. It is solid and reliable and will give a good and fairly fast ride. I wouldn't be going around corners too fast though, because it's not so responsive and downhill, it gets a bit shaky at speeds over 35 kph. Recommended for riders who have some experience and want a decent road bike for recreational use.

Indi Condor back in the mid-eighties.

[Jan 19, 2010]
BillCole

Strength:

Overall a great bike.

Saddle is a bit harsh.

This bike is well worth the price. I like the frame geometry and the 105 components work really well. I had no assembly issues like a previous reviewer although there are some unique sounds from the crank that I had to get used to. I used to ride a lot and then turned into a couch potato. After dropping 200 pounds I got this as a present and it is the best, most responsive bike I've ever had. I'll never have a really high priced bike and this is the bomb at this price point.

Trek 2.1

[Oct 09, 2009]
saabpilot

Strength:

Full Shimano 105 components, but require lots of adjustments.

Poor Quality. Bad assembly. Missaligned mechanical parts. Lack of Giant customer service. My Miyata has 30,000 miles never adjustments (not even cables), all original, no noise, rides like new. Giant makes all kind of mechanical noises and part of energy goes towards overcoming the friction. Kind of bike you will buy at Target.

It's actually 2009. Bought new in the box. Bike makes all kind of grinding, squeezing, metallic noises regardless of gear selection. Brought back to the shop 8 times within 3 weeks. They were keep adjusting front/rear derauilers cables... Was very frustrated. No way to escalate to Giant, they don't have customer service. Forced to deal with Giant dealer. Finally mechanic took bike apart to bare frame. The BB, crank were not assembled, lubricated, and tight up properly. Unbelievable. was told it's a common problem with new Giant bikes. Bad idea to buy Giant bike if you not a mechanic. I'm not happy with the bike and Giant.

Miyata, Specialized.
Out of all new 2009 bikes I tested, Rubauix stands apart as class act. Giant was discounting and dealing, but you got what you paid. I would only consider products from Speci and Trek (as 2-nd choice)

[Sep 30, 2009]
jlstanton67

Strength:

Geometry, light weight, solid components.

The seat. I took my own and I'm glad I did.

I rented this bike for a week ride in the Alps. I normally ride a Lemond Zurich and was a bit concerned about riding an aluminum bike with 105 instead of my normal Ultegra.
No worries. I liked the geometry better than my Lemond; the bike was light, stable and a good climber; and the vibration was no different than I was used to. We climbed a range of cols that are on the Tour de France, and I had no trouble keeping up with those who brought their own bikes. I was impressed.

Lemond Zurich