Giant OCR 1 Road Bike

OCR 1

The ALUXX Butted Aluminum frame makes the OCR series affordable and ersatile enough for touring, charity rides, serious commuting, and spirited enough for entry level racing.

• frame: ALUXX butted aluminum, Compact Road Design
  • fork: formulaOne Composite w/aluminum steerer

• User Reviews (44)

Randall   Recreational Rider [Mar 06, 2011]
    Strength:

all around workhorse

I have logged 13,000 miles on this bicycle including 1,200+ on the Blueridge Parkway. It is a workhorse and built tough. I expec to get another 10,000 on it before I move to a touring bike in retirement.

Similar Products Used: Giant Hybrid and MTB
    Joe Spyn   Recreational Rider [Aug 04, 2010]
    Strength:

Great deal, climbs extremely well

Poor bottom bracket design, brake/rim interface

Mine shipped with a poorly installed bottom bracket assembly;
    one which (amazingly) has a plastic cup incorrectly installed that
    was causing some clicking. Once the shop fixed it under
    warranty, it has spun like a top since.

I like the wheels a lot, but I do all I can to avoid potholes
    and tracks at high speeds. The bike transitions nicely; spins
    out of corners well and climbs like a goat. Mine is all stock
    except for the pedals, tires (I went to Continentals, it shipped
    with a really cheap 23mm Kenda) and a shorter stem. I went nuts
    and weighed it at 17 lbs on a digital scale. My feeling is that
    I could have spent a tall four figures on a cf bike that weighed
    the same, and this frame doesn't flex at all like cf (and I stand
    a lot while climbing).

My only knock are the serrated rims, which are machined presumably to
    improve braking. In actuality, they eat brake pads. I am replacing
    mine after one season, and I have never replaced brake pads on any
    bike in my life. As far as I can tell, I will be doing this as long
    as own this ride or keep the wheels.

Long story short: Keeping in mind that I bought this as a year-end
    closeout ($725 for a $1600 ride), I am very pleased. The bottom bracket
    is a concern; I would never pay top dollar for a bike with plastic parts.
    Likewise, the rim/brakes are simply a bad design. That said, for the
    substantial savings, the bike was and is a screaming deal. On my club
    rides, I routinely out-gun similarly talented peers on much more expensive
    bikes. Now that four figures is the low-end for road bikes, this bike is
    a price/performance bargain.

Fattiremaniac   Recreational Rider [Jul 15, 2010]
    Strength:

Durability, Comfort, Touring, Commuting, Fun, Price

None that really stand out as a recreational/commuter rider.

Great 1st road bike. Use it for long (30 - 70 mile) recreational rides and for commuting to work. I have put around 2,000 miles on it. Made a couple of significant upgrades over the years. Replaced the stock saddle with a Terry Ti Fly. Replaced my wheelset with American Classic Victory wheelset - these wheels make a world of difference over the stock ones on this bike. The rest of the bike is stock with the exception of the tires. I kept the triple ring because the granny gears have come in handy on some of the steep climbs in the rocky mountain region. This bike may not be the best climber but it will get you there and not beat you up. Just an all around good bike that will take you anywhere the pavement goes. My next upgrade will be the stock breaks.

MrCrassic   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2010]
    Strength:

Little road vibration
    Good acceleration
    Versatile
    Not heavy

Not enough color schemes
    Sizing doesn't fit all (problem with Giant)
    BB is okay; not stellar

For some reason, the 2008 model, the one I have, doesn't show.

This is a great bike. I swapped the wheelset for my old Ksyrium Elites and the triple crank for a double, which made it so much better (and lighter). At 20 lbs (my setup), it's not a feather, but it's certainly not a tank. Power transfer to the cranks is pretty good, though I've tested bikes that are much smoother. (This might be partly due to the FSA BB.) It's climbs alright, though the construction of the frame (emphasis on the BB area) doesn't do much to make it any easier. :)

It's a really comfortable ride for an aluminum bike; the (stock) carbon seatpost helps. The stock wheels are parachutes; I recommend replacing them or using them for climbing torture-fests. As usual with mid-range bikes, the saddle is half-decent for most, and will probably be replaced sometime down the line.

What's really great about this frame is that it works really well with higher-grade gear. People I know with the same bike or bikes from previous years have gotten even better performance from upgrading it. It's a great buy for a long-term investment, especially if it'll be used for long distance riding or commuting.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000
    Manny Santana   Road Racer [Nov 20, 2008]
    Strength:

Weight and comfort.

Gears make alot of noise when you shift gears.

I actually have the 2008 Model and it rides great. I would definitely recommend this to anyone. It retails at 1167.00 but for the price you get a great ride at low and hi speeds.

rpmk42   Recreational Rider [Mar 18, 2008]
    Strength:

setup for the price. Of course, I did buy it on ebay for half-price with only 20 miles on the bike.
    It gets the job done. I have had to do very little to this bike and it has performed well

Frame Geometry. This model has a compact frame design with an elongated top tube. This forces the ride to raise the seat up abnormally high (looks kinda funny riding it). Also, in speeds in excess of 40 mph the bike begins to vibrate quite violently. I was on a decent once and it started shaking badly, and when I naturally grabbed the brakes that exacerbated the problem. Nearly had to change my shorts when I finally got the bike to a speed at which it would no longer shake.

All in all I have been satisfied with this bike. It is a great entry-level bike. I have put 2500 miles on this one with only minor upgrades. My only problem with this bike is the frame. Since it was poorly made, I do not want to invest money in too many upgrades and now I am forced to buy a new bike with a better frame so that I can upgrade in the future. But, it has been good for the most part for the riding that I've done.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000, Giant OCR3, Cannondale Six13
    Chris   Recreational Rider [Feb 08, 2008]

Brakes.

I love everything about this bike except the brakes. I live in a hilly area and I have had several close calls and one bad spill because of the brakes on this bike.

Alex   Commuter [Feb 05, 2008]
    Strength:

Very good value for money. Nice selection of parts.

The following issues are related to Shimano and not Giant, but I though I might mention them anyway. The Shimano Rear Rim was faulty, because it came out of true and we where not able to fix the issue. The Shimano 105 Rear Shifter also has a fault which causes the cable to break at the shifter every two months.

the and came out of true quite easily.

Overall I think this bike is very good value for money.

J Red Tripp   Triathlete [Oct 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Comfort, smooth ride, price

front derailleur bracket, seat, bar tape, not very light, kinda slow

I bought this bike because the price could not be beat at the Pawn Shop, but it was also exactly my size, almost all of the components are Ultegra (front derailler is 105). Came with stock seat which I immediately replaces, added some Look pedal and aerobars.
    It's a comfortable ride, I can go for hours with out any immediate or delayed discomfort. Not as fast as I had hoped. I had competed in a couple of triathlons on my Hybrid bike and did really well, was told I would be super fast on a road bike. But, not so much.
    I had to replace the front derailler bracket. From the start I was having difficulty shifting after multiple professional adjustments and on one of my first rides out I has a chain suck so bad I had to take the bike home before I could pull the chain out of the crank.
    I also replaced the white (white?) handle bar tape. It was wrapped too far up the brakes causing the cables to creak and after about 1 1/2 months it was filthy.
    Overall I am happy with this bike for sprint and olympic triathlons, but once I start racing long distance races I will upgrade.

tas236   Triathlete [Oct 17, 2007]
    Strength:

Ultegra shifters, rear der. Price.

Seat post (creeks and rattles), overall weight, wheels (heavy), bar wrap is terrible, handlebar shape (drops are not comfy), frame is lazy (soft/flex) to respond to sprints and breakaways.

This was my first real bike and hated dealing with the LBS employees in the area. Shopped for drivetrain component level, rather than considering the whole package. The bike is ok, if your don't ride or intend to ride at 20+. It is heavy, really heavy (size 58). It's got about 2k miles on it now and has only needed minor tune-ups and adjustments, so kudos to it's reliability. Used it for many recreation rides, a couple of MS150s, and many short tris. Would probably not buy again if I was put back in time. Would have bought something lighter and sacraficed some drive train components.

Similar Products Used: Trek and Specialized products.