Giant OCR Touring Road Bike

Giant OCR Touring Road Bike

Frame Material: Aluxx SL aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: large, medium, small, xlarge, xsmall
Colors: Dark Silver
Pedals: Time ATAC Alium
Tires: 700 x 32c Michelin Dynamic

[Oct 16, 2011]
Quiggly

Strength:

Ride feel & comfort- phenomenal. I thought with the frame being aluminun that it would be harsh ride - I couldn't have been more wrong. Speed - wow - this bike handles 20 miles + per and doesn't get weird and doesn't transfer road vibe at all.Corners and tracks like a dream. Hauls stuff with no problem and no effect on speed - acts like the load isn't there. Stops well to on Avid mechanical brakes - never a problem . Wearing Sora STI shifters 3 X 9, the shifting is precise and doesn't hesitate. The 11-34 cassette I spec'd on it has great range without sacrificing some speedy gears.

Odd parts - the headset is a 1 1/8" threaded headset -no one makes these but the company. Setting up the brakes - my mechanic had to add a "traveler" to get the right brake leverage. Odd screw sizes for the canti brake attachments. Very close space tolerance on the front disc brake - we're talking millimeters here - hope I never bend it.

I purchased the frame from C-list and built the bike. I've ridden many bikes over the years, and I have to say that this touring bike not only handles incredibly well, but accelerates and holds speed in a way that rivals my Trek Madone4.7 and my Gunnar Roadie. It's stable without being slow, fast without being twitchy, and carrying a few extra pounds didn't stop the speed or impact the handling in any way at all. It was comfortable to ride and still had enough nimbleness to get out of its own way. I have ridden other touring bikes and none of them have the same feel as the Giant OCR Touring.

Miyata 700, Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Axis, Schwinn Passage - 80's version touring bike, Raleigh Alyeska, and various other brands.

[Mar 29, 2008]
jparham3

Strength:

Cool disc brakes that are sure stoppers.

Not really any, but will be be modified by some who want more torque in the low range gears for mountain climbing v. commuting

I really like this bike even though I did my supported X-USA ride on an old Trek 520, I like the compact geometry since I have a shorter upper torso than average. I is a bit heavily built in the wheels for just commuting, I have used it nicely for that and will pass it down to my son now for temporary use until he outgrows it.

Trek 520 and Schwinn Voyager

[Oct 08, 2007]
Dom

Strength:

Easy to fit. Brakes are sharp. Blistering speed, sharp handling. You can feel the quality of the components.

None to me

A well thought out design . Performing mutiple tasks very successfully. A pleasure to ride and much faster than my Cypress Lx and just as comfortable. Very impressed with it's overall performance

Giant Cypress LX, Trek 830

[Nov 01, 2004]
hihosilver

Strength:

A solid frame with extremely strong heavy welds on frame. No noticable give in frame. Easy to adjust so fits well. Faults are fewer than most bikes. The standard cassette is great for all around use, but primary commuters are encouraged to swap to a road cassette instead of the stock mountain cassette.

The only weakness is in the execution of the bike sale. This is not a straight touring bike, nor is it a pure road bike. It is kind of a hybrid between a "hybrid bike" and a touring bike. Giant needs either to recommend at least one outside vendor who can deliver great parts for this bike or develop their own parts at a reasonable price point. Aethestically this bike is not as nice as I would like. The problem is the after market manufacturers don't design their products to work well with disk brakes. You can get SKS fenders and bike racks, but they will not integrate well with the frame and must be massaged to fit. After they fit, they are not pretty. It would be worth it to have Giant fenders that look nice without the SKS pointy sticks. Because of these aethestical disconnect, I will have to rate this bike at a 4 level.

This is a very nice all purpose bike. It gives the dual ride feel of a hybrid for pleasure riding and the down on the handles feel of a road bike. It is a tad heavier than strick road bikes, but it has all the fixings for touring. If you are rough on your bike, you will appreciate the 3 spare spokes on the frame. It is a pleasure to fly thru the gears. Unlike almost all road bikes, this one comes standard with very good disk brakes. You don't have to worry about rain or long downhills. It will stop without blowing out your tires. A real peace of mind that you can only appreciate after blowing a tire at 50mph on a steap downhill.

You don't want to know. You didn't ride one.