Giant Propel Advance Disc Road Bike

Available Models:

• Propel Advance Pro Disc
  • Propel Advance Disc

ramon   Recreational Rider [Dec 04, 2017]

Very stiff frame and front triangle. strong brakes. tubless ready rims. Shimano Ultegra DI2, all internal routing, smooth stiff rims.

difficult to get set up correctly due to tight confines on hydraulic lines. Pricey, skinny OEM tires, goofy wheel graphics

I think I have the first one in my town. I have put about 180 miles on it from purchase day, through fitting and adjusting the steer tube. I bought this version ($5700) of the propel as it seemed the best value for price and performance. I suspect the cheaper one with mechnical shifting might be troublesome at best due to the tought internal routing and the color was horrible so I went with green..main differences from the cheaper $3700 orang model are (DI2 + carbon steer tube+ carbon bar + green color + ride sense). so its a litle lighter and the front bar probably a little stiffer than the cheaper model. The DI2 is especially nice (first bike with it) as I can downshift while braking to a stop, although takes getting used to after I get off my steel road bike with traditional Ultegra.

I replaced the skinny 25mm tires with real 25mm tubless Schwalbes. No issue, sealed up fine. I feel more confident on slightly wider tires. The manufacturer claims the bike will fit any 28 mm tires and some 30 mm. I have not tried this yet, but there is plenty of clearance for the big 25 mms so it looks like my 28 mm Continental GPs would fit.

I was professionally fitted to this bike so it is comfortable for my body size and the stiffness did not bother me. If you ride the bike and then need to get the spacers removed and the steer tube cut, it may require cutting the hydraulic more chance for brake issues. I would make sure the shop pays a lot of attantion to the brake lines when they open up the stem fairling and drop it down, the hydraulic lines don't fit if too long. Mine had a rear brake issue that required 2 trips to the shop but they got it.
This stiffness is not bad on houston roads but on really rough roads it would be the wrong bike (it is nothing like an aluminum bike..the bike is very comfy, but will transmit bigger bumps.. On a smooth road, the bike flys. This weekend I put the power down on it for the first time and I felt I was going 2 mph faster than normal for the same effort. The rims have a highly asymetric spoking with 2 times as many spokes on the side of the rim that will see the most torque. 14 spokes on front brake roator side (21 total), and 16 spokes on rear cassette side (24 total). I cam very close to taking a Strava KOM on it on my first real group ride after we got everything fitted right.

I enjoy riding it very much, it will leap across the road when you get out of the saddle. I am not sure the matching "anime" graphics on the rims are necessary, but they are stickers, I may remove them.

The saddle that came with it is actually not bad, seems hard but it was the shape of my rear. I did replace it anyway with one that I knew would allow me to ride 75 miles with no soreness. this is the most expesive bike I have ever bought, but I kept my last bike 11 years (Scott CR1 Pro) and its nice to have all of the new tech now instead of buying cables and rim brakes again.

I really dig this bike. I just didn't give it a 5 star because of price and the tires that come with it are not real 25 mm.

Similar Products Used: Scott CR1 pro (not aero), Cervelo tri bike (aero), tested Trek Madone