Giant TCR Composite 0 Road Bike

TCR Composite 0

Race a gran fondo one week and a criterium the next. This bike was designed to meet the dual demands of hard, fast races and long, grueling rides. Its Advanced-grade composite frame balances weight, stiffness and road-smoothing comfort.

Bernard   Road Racer [Mar 24, 2011]
Strength:

durable, comfortable, handles superb

replaced front fork with a lighter EC90 fork, to replace the heavier stock fork, but I don't really consider that a weakness, more like a preference

I love this bike, i purchased it in 2004 as a frame and built it up, I have since used it on about 10 double centuries, and have logged over 35,000 training miles on it with countless amount of climbing. This bike is very responsive and comfortable, I also own a 2008 TCR Advanced but I still love to ride my TCR 0.

Similar Products Used: 2008 Giant TCR Advanced
Chance Watt   Road Racer [May 16, 2010]

whats my 2004 tcr giant road bike with Shimano Ultegra components worth?

Brandt Knowlton   Road Racer [Jul 30, 2009]

Light Quick gives up nothing but extra cost

derrida999   Commuter [Feb 25, 2008]
Strength:

Solid construction, ultra light weight, very fast, solid feel at any speed, handles very well.

None to report.

This is a fantastic bicycle. I just finished my first bicycling event on it - the Chilly Hilly - and it performed beautifully. I was able to fly on the flats (20-30mph) and crank up the hills. I passed more accomplished riders frequently, something I attribute more to the bike than to my skill.

This bike has me itching to get out there and ride more and more, and has me seriously considering moth-balling my commuter tank (although it was great as a training bike - so much effort goes into getting it to move compared to the Giant TCR.)

The triple crank, a unique addition to this bicycle, was a real plus grinding out the hill climbs. I passed people on hills that had much more expensive bicycles (a Seven and a Felt to name 2) that were running double cranks.

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Varsity 10 sp (1980s)
Trek 7500FX with disc brakes
Kurt   Road Racer [Jun 03, 2007]
Strength:

--Amazing mix of lively, quick handling stiff ride, but not too stiff. Nice climbing and descending characteristics. No chain rub, no rattles, and haven't touched the spokes yet.
--Weight: Stock M/L sized bike (w/ Dura-Ace crank), seatbag, spare tube, tools, bar-end LEDs, Keo Carbon pedals, Polar CS-100 computer, 2 carbon WB cages = 17lbs
--Top of the line components, wheelset, seat, bars/stem for a bargain price.
--Like getting the frame for free!

--None really.
--Well, maybe the FSA crankset (but I swapped it to D/A)
--The shifter cable housings are cracking after 6 months.
--The stock stem kept loosening up on me. Finally bought a $90 Wiha torque wrench to get it set just right, and haven't had a problem since.

I'm a 40 yr-old ex-bike geek. I was shamed by my riding buddies (who all got new rides in the past year) into looking for a new bike. Thought I'd give carbon fiber a try as an x-mas present to myself. I rode the various versions of the Specialized Tarmac (felt dead to me), Scott CR-1 (too stiff), and 2007 Giant Advanced TCR1 (too stiff). They were blowing our the 2006 Giant TCR Zero for $2500. The first test ride told me this was the one--it just felt right. Stiff, but not too stiff, lively and with quick steering. I didn't like the FSA crankset (though I was happy the bike was NOT spec'd with a compact crank), so for an extra $100, they replaced it with new Dura-Ace. I HIGHLY recommend this swap, as it shifts like butter, is super quiet, and is stiff, stiff, stiff! Not looking forward to $100+ just to replace the 53T c-ring.

FWIW, I Grew up wrenching in a shop, apprenticed to a custom frame builder, painted pro bikes, raced road and mtn from HS all the way through college. After college, I managed a Top 100 bikeshop in the midwest, selling over 2500 bikes/year.

Now I'm just a 165lb weekend warrior, with Sunday 40-50 mile hammer rides with my biking buddies. I had been riding the same 1985 vintage 20ish lb 58cm Vitus 979 with a 13-19 straight block I had raced on in college--and of course there is no comparison! I have ridden a variety of bikes over the years (steel, aluminum, titanium, carbon), and am amazed on every ride how nice my TCR Zero really is.

Similar Products Used: N/A.
Last bike didn't change for 21 years!
Mike Davis   Recreational Rider [May 11, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff carbon-fiber composite frame, very comfortable saddle, lightweight (about 15 lbs.), great wheelset (Mavic Ksyrium), Michelin Pro2 Race tires.

Only the problem with the original chain and small chainring, which I assume Giant paid the bike shop to replace.

This is my 2nd Giant Formula One frame. My first was a 2006 TCR C2 (Ultegra). When I saw this full Dura Ace C0 on clearance at the shop, I jumped on it. After about 300 miles, I took it back in for a tune up because I noticed what felt like a slip in shifting from the 53 tooth chainring to the 39 tooth. Also, When in the biggest rear cog, I could hear and feel something like the chain rubbing. They told me that Giant had notified them of this possible problem. The shop changed out my original chain and small chainring to SRAM, at no charge to me. Now everything works great. I like the Giant compact frame. I can ride it all day. Hey, I bought two of them within 18 months.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Fuji Newest, 2006 Giant TCR C2.
Healthnet TCR Comp   Road Racer [May 04, 2007]
Strength:

Superlight, Easy to Climb with, Stiff but comfortable, Corners and accelerates like a beast. It also feels great downhill. Not a bad idea to get your hands on a frame even if its a 2004 (The only thing that has changed is the paint schemes)

Still can't find any weakeness other than the fact that some of the paint schemes are plain ugly(2003-2005). The 07's are beautiful

I LOVE THIS BIKE !!!!!!!!! This is actually a 10 Month Review. After 3000 Miles, this bike is still worth every penny as advertised. I'm 5'10 but I ride a "Large", it just felt better than the medium. Its no wonder why T-Mobile, Once, and Healthnet(Formerly) use this frame. Climbing the Key Biscayne Bridge has never been easier, The ride feels super stiff when you need to sprint yet compliant enough to make normally harsh rides a none issue. I said it before and I'll say it again Cannondale doesn't even compare. Anyone (like myself) who used to own one will agree. Almost a year later after my first review and Litespeed is making Carbon Frames. I saw it in the bike store and it looks like a "Giant" Caron copy. Like Litespeed, More and more companies are making compact frames with smaller rear triangles and sloping downtubes. Its interesting to see how the market reacts to the largest bike company on the planet with the most experience making Carbon Frames. Hands Down you can't go wrong with the Giant TCR comp zero. ($1000 spent on frame only)

Similar Products Used: Rode a Specialed Tarmac Recently (Nice bike), Cannondale Caad5,7 (BOOOOOOOOO, horribly stiff) Trek 5200
friedmikey   Road Racer [Feb 26, 2007]
Strength:

Price, great warranty, great looking (I get a lot of complements on the gold fade around the headtube), durable. 20,000 miles on the original brake pads!

Fork not as stiff as it should be.

After two years and over 20,000 miles, I'm quite happy with my TCR Zero. Granted, the only parts that are original to the bike I bought in 2005 are the brakes, shifters, seatpost, and deraileurs.

The bike is comfortable and pedals well, though I wouldn't mind it being a tiny bit stiffer. I did replace the fork with an Alpha Q GS10, which was an excellent upgrade and stiffened up the front end considerably. Giant's warranty is great too. After crashing the bike, I sent the frame and fork back to the company to be checked out. Even though there was no clear damage found, Giant sent me a brand new frame and fork for my peace of mind.

Giant probably knows how to build a carbon frame better than anyone else out there. $4300 for a Dura Ace bike is one of the best deals on the market.

Similar Products Used: Ridley Excalibur, De Rosa King, De Rosa Tango, De Rosa Merak, Specialized Tarmac, Look 555, Orbea Orca...
pedlfoot   Recreational Rider [Feb 19, 2007]
Strength:

Light and fast. Climbs with ease. Very comfortable on long rides. Smooth ride with no road buzz, but gives excellent road feel similar to my lugged steel.

None.

I purchased the TCR at the end of July 06. After riding it for two weeks to get used to it I did a century with a lot of climbing. The bike performed beautifully.I was able to stay with friends that are faster riders with little effort. When the hills came ,it climbed like a dream. The bike over all is stiff and fast without giving up comfort. I rank it equa in comfortl to my 531 lugged steel bike that I love. When I need to accelerate to catch a wheel in a group ride,it only takes a few pedal strokes to get up to speed. This is one fantastic bike for racing, fast group rides, and long rides.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000 aluminium. Croll steel .
gottaluvhills   Road Racer [Feb 18, 2007]
Strength:

Great bang for the buck..full dura-ace, SL3, carbon frame, fork, stem, and seatpost.

The barrell adjusters for the shifters are not on the downtube as most bikes. Giant has a funky doo-hicky on the cables where the standard dura-ace gear indicator is. I'd rather have them on the downtube and have my gear indicator.

Well, I bought this machine about 3 weeks ago and put several hundred miles on it. Climbs like a machine uphills, but surprisingly fast on the downhill. No speedwobbles like other people mentioned. I have short legs and the compact geometry feels better than expected.