Giant TCR Composite 2 Road Bike

HOW TO PURCHASE A GIANT BICYCLE Giant Bicycles are only sold our Corona,CA retail store (2410 Wardlow Road, Suite 109, Corona, CA, 92880). This item cannot be purchased online or at our Riverside, CA location. If you are interested in a ...

rooski   [Mar 23, 2014]
Strength:

Light, agile, responsive, in control.. Short making for great visibility and handling while still sitting in aero position for speed. Keeps up easily on hills and leads in the straights.

Seat post adjustment not as easy as it could be, Shimano 105 shifting is a bit quirky with overshifting higher and lower (common for this set)
Wheels are clunky with round spokes (PR-2) and the factory tires are not that great.

This bike launches off the start taking you to top speeds quickly. Even though this is an attribute perhaps of a sprint bike, this road machine will marathon very nicely as equipped from the showroom floor or with a few small upgrades.

If you want race and comfort in a car you buy a top end sport luxury model. That's what this bike is !
The composite frame and fork give rigidity for power transfer and control while allowing for vibrations to be absorbed by the bike instead of the rider.

Recommend changing out the wheels to something a bit lighter and tires could be better.

For affordability the TCR2 Composite comes with Shimano's 105 geartrain. It's good but if you can afford the Advance model of this bike you will have better components. I suspect the 105 will be fine for a while.

Overall this is a great bike that I would recommend anyone from beginner to racer to look at. It will hold its own against all comers.
My other bike is the Cannondale CAAD10 - 2 and anyone who knows those bikes knows they are awesome. The Giant TCR2 Composite is right up there with the CAAD10.

Marc schaffer   Triathlete [May 31, 2013]
Strength:

A very nice, race quality bike for not a lot of money. Giant got this right!

None I can think of

I bought this as a training bike for duathlon. It proved itself to be agile and mobile, a good complement to my Cervelo P2. The ride is responsive and it goes where you want it to. My only complaint is a really small one. The wheels that came on the bike are a little on the heavy side . However, this is easily fixed by buying a set of lighter wheels for race day. My pair of American classic victory 30 wheels and tufo ride elite tubular clinchers lightened things up a bit and ensured I had a good connection to the road.

Jason   Road Racer [Jul 21, 2011]
Strength:

Responsiveness, great bike for me to start on.

None so far.

Got this bike not too long ago as an intro into road riding.
It's given me great rides so far and I really have no complaints.
I did switch the stock Giant wheelset to a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

For those who care, the weight of the bike stock (with 2 cages, a computer and Shimano 105 pedals) was 19.5lbs.
After the wheelset swap, it was 18.3lbs.
Not that this matters to me in the slightest since I'm only beginning, but it was nice to know.

Similar Products Used: None... was a mountain biker.
Ventruck   Recreational Rider [Mar 24, 2010]
Strength:

Comfort, fits well despite the sizing disrepancies, apparently lasting into it's second owner (me) after a crash and 4 years.

I've never tried 105 brakes out the box, so maybe this complaint about pads is due to their age. Aksium wheelset isn't the lightest thing around, if you're counting.

Odds are, no one will care about a 2006 bike now, but anyhoo: I bought this bike used in case of a "rough" start with road bikes. It wasn't just used, but also involved in a crash beforehand which was claimed only to damage the RD and wheel. Previous owner replaced said components (WH-R500 rear wheel, 105 RD) as well RD hanger as well as drivetrain (Still Ultegra 6600) while he was at it. So while it was seemingly below original spec I took the owner's word in it being a perfectly working bike.

Since then, I've been abusing the bike down rough hills and despite it's age and crash, it's perfect. Maybe this is partly due to the owner being right about the frame being clear of damage, but regardless: wow.

The frame is a size larger than Giant recommends (oddly, the previous owner was no taller than I was), but it has always fit like a glove. Handling is a bit quick - perhaps because of it being my first road bike. I will note that after I did some component swaps (see setup), I can't ride no-handed with confidence.

Comfort is nothing to complain about even though this is a bit of a competition-focused bike.

I couldn't make out much regarding the pedaling response qualities since I'm about 140lb. I'd be baffled to notice flex - which there isn't. I can't even find faults with the unpopular wheel choice it's equipped with (Mavic Aksium and Shimano WH-R500).

Maybe it's due to their age, but the brake pads (just the pads) may leave something to be desired. They will slow down the bike well-enough, but not so much of give that "bite" for quick stops at low speed.

Overall I'm pleased with the bike, albiet the fact I have it a bit below it's original spec with a lot of usage. If anything, that just gives the frame a bit more credit. Great ride. 5 stars not because it's the best bike in the world, but there's not really anything substantial to complain about. Yes, this is partly due to the care taken by the previous owner, but it's 2010 as of now, and I don't have any desire replacing this 4 year old bike at all.

Keith   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, stiffness, good components. Great mix of forgiving ride feel due to the carbon frame, but stiff enough for great power transfer.

Not for those wanting a bike for loaded touring, or upright riding position.

Light and stiff, great power transfer. Handling is race inspired and could be a little twitchy if you're used to a touring bike, but is precise and enjoyable.

Average Joe   Road Racer [Jan 06, 2009]
Strength:

Wonderful complete package with the Mavic wheels and full Ultegra Groupset. A real carbon seatpost and a decent saddle are nice and the Race Face bars and stem seem fine too, appearing identical to Giant's own branded ones?

Why don't they just supply pedals with it to complete the groupset?

I bought this in the sale at the weekend - below cost! I've raced and trained on Giant compact frames since 2006 and haven't looked back since then. This was a chance to upgrade to a full carbon bike and this spec at this price is a steal!! The carbon frame is soooo comforatble, yet responsive and fast too. It feels like having a tailwind on the climbs, pity the legs don't!

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR Alliance with 105 gears, Ultegra chainset, Tiagra brakes(why?) and those Xero XSR wheels which is replaced by the C2, Giant TCR carbon with 9 speed Dura Ace and handbuilt wheels (in my pre-Canada life)
kenny johnson   Road Racer [Dec 01, 2008]
Strength:

bad to the bone ! bike climbs very fast nice comfortable rigid ride

quite nervous on fast descentsbut got used to it quickly

tcr c2 completly gutted except levers and deraileurs ultegra crank dura ace chain and cassett junked the factory mavic rims and replaced with dura ace wheelesthompson elite seat post and rs stinger saddle from serfas along with the serfas carbon bottle cages

cyclocommuter   Road Racer [Apr 19, 2008]
Strength:

Great value for the money.

I initially thought the color was on the bland side but now I love it... simple and understated.

This review is for the 2008 TCR C2.

This bike is so much better than my old aluminum frame Specialized Allez Elite (w Carbon Forks). It is lighter, climbs and accelerates faster, much more stable going downhill, and best of all, is more comfortable to ride as the carbon frame soaks up vibrations better.

On a 70km hilly road course that I train on, I averaged 29.5 kph on the TCR and this is just the start of the cycling season. That is about 1.5 kph better than I ever did on my old aluminum bike.

It is true what they say about good carbon bikes... they are stiffer but at the same time absorbs road buzz better.

Dysfunctional Redneck   Recreational Rider [Mar 30, 2008]
Strength:

Ultra durable, compliant ride, great componets package

color scheme could be a little better

Bought this bike in 2001. The LBS was in need of unloading some in order to get next shipment and sold below cost. I've now had this bike 7 years and have never, and I mean never had a problem with it. I stayed with all stock componets which are Ultegra and never even had to make a cable adjustment. I'm basically an endurance rider and do a lot of double century rides and longer. This bike has never let me down.I have now logged 28,000+ miles on her and yesterday did the Solvang Double and it never ceases to amze me the deal on got on it. A lot of my riding buds have gone thru two bikes since I've got this one and they keep asking when I'm going to upgrade, but I find that question difficult to answer as this bike is still very tight and has no issues.I've only had to replace the cassette, bottom bracket,cables and chain and that was only once in all these miles.

Similar Products Used: I've only had one other road bike and it was a tri bike so I don't have much to compare it too.
Matt Hudson   Recreational Rider [Feb 04, 2008]
Strength:

Very stiff. High end components for price.

Cheap tires, middle-of-line wheels.

Overall, a great break. Very stiff, excellent power transfer. For the price of the bike, very worthwhile.