Giant TCR Composite 3 Road Bike

TCR Composite 3

The same frame as the premium "0" model with a special Team Blue graphic and mix of Shimano 105 and other performance components make the Composite 3 our most affordable racing performance bike.

• frame: fomulaOne Composite, Compact Road Design
  • fork: fomulaOne Full Composite, 1 1/8" w/alloy steerer
  • color: Composite/Team Blue

• User Reviews (15)

Bike Sergeant   Recreational Rider [Jun 28, 2011]
    Strength:

Fast and agile the frame sports a subdued black grey and white color scheme. Drive train shifts and functions without fail. Brakes work well without being touchy.

Minor wheel flex. Rear brake cable rubs the frame easily fixed with clear stick on guard. Not Black and Yellow LOL

Let me just start by saying WOW!!! Now having said that this is my first REAL road bike. I have been riding a Specialized Allez for almost five years. This bike is so far beyond anything I have ridden before. It is a dream to sprint and climb with. The 105 drive train is a work horse that never quits. I have noticed some flex in the wheels in hard turns while sprinting it rubs the brakes but I am a bigger rider (5' 9" 185)other than that it has been a great bike. It's the kind of bike that makes you want to be a better rider. Fast and nimble the kind of bike that makes you think about racing. I have 500 miles on this bike with no problems what so ever. Good luck geting anything like this for $1810.00

Similar Products Used: 2007 Sepialized Allez, several moutain bikes
    rideinhumboldt   Recreational Rider [Apr 18, 2008]
    Strength:

Carbon for under $2000!! Very nice compact geometry - I went down a frame size while keeping the same feel. 105/ultegra drivetrain is nice; kind of weird they'd go with an Ultegra front and 105 rear (most setups upgrade rear 1st). I threw my Ultegra rear on for a complete Ultegra drivetrain except the 105 brifters, which are just fine. Stoked on a race-ready machine for the price!!

Of course, the wheels...the stock setup felt a little heavy, almost entirely due to the Xeros. I put on the Shimano's that came on my F75, and that made a HUGE difference. The Xeros are tanks. They also have excessive flex and the paired spoke design is garbage that looks cool - upgrade them. I had the shop swap the Truvativ cranks for Shimano R700's, which greatly improved the ride. The Truvativs felt cheap (they are) and almost "toy-like" - hard to explain. Generic brakes - swapped out with my 105's.

Four months after purchasing an '07 Felt F75, I found myself back in the market for a bike due to the excessive drivetrain noise and clunky feel of the ride. I drove three hours to visit a Giant dealer with a better selection that the one in my town, and was rewarded by finding an '06 TCR on sale. I'd never ridden full carbon - my Felt has carbon forks, stays, and seat post - what a difference in stepping up to full carbon! I notice no less acceleration response with the carbon compared to aluminum, as I was told can happen. The Giant climbs lighter and easier and has much more responsive handling, which does make it feel twitchier descending at speeds over 40mph.
    Overall the bike is very smooth and quiet. I also like the fact that input=instant output. I haven't had the bike long enough to make this my final review (will update), but my initial impression is VERY good. The Xero wheels, generic brakes, and Truvativ crank are the only reasons for a 4 star rating; the bike set up as I have it easily adds the elusive 5th star!

Similar Products Used: Felt F75; countless steelies.
    Dave   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2007]
    Strength:

Speed, light weight, good handling, some vibration damping, good value component package.

Defective frames, particularly top edge of top tube. Shape of top tube changed and maybe improved for 2007.

The Giant carbon racing frames are fast. They climb and sprint really well and absorb some road vibration. I started out with the 2004 TCR Comp2, Ultegra except for the 16-spoke Shimano wheels I replaced. Top tube cracked on top edge near seat cluster for no reason. Replaced frame was 2003 Team Once edition, close to same color. That lighter frame cracked in middle of top tube. Replaced with blue 2006 Comp3 frame. Anybody want to buy a Team Once jersey? Buddy's Giant cracked near front of top tube. Cost me 85 bucks and more than a month of prime riding season to get frame replaced this time.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R500
    karta   Road Racer [Sep 16, 2007]

This is not so much a rating on the bicycle. This post is to inform everyone that Giant TCR 0,1,2, and 3 carbon frames are not the same. Or, if they are the same, that the 950 gram/ 2.09 Lbs. frame weight is grossly off. I recently bought a Giant TCR 3 on sale from a local bike shop in the bay area. I thought I was getting a smoking deal on the frame + parts (I only wanted the frame). I had read forums on line that said, “all the TCR carbon frames were the same”. One bike store had listed on their home page that “all the TCR carbon frames were the same. The sales person at the store agreed with this information as well. Needless to say I was super stoked about my new 2.1 Lbs. frame + parts for about $1000. As soon as I got home I completely disassembled the bike, even removing the inserts for the head set. When I put fame on the scale, I was shocked. The frame weighed 1196 grams/ 2.63 Lbs. That is 246 grams/ 0.54 Lbs. more than I was expecting. Ok not quite, I thought the frame would bee about 1000 grams and not 950. You never get the claimed weight. So either the TCR 0 and TCR 3 are not the same frame, or the claimed frame weight of the TCR carbon line up is grossly off the 950 gram/ 2.09 mark.

FYI- the size of the frame I bought was Medium.

bassofan   Road Racer [Jun 29, 2007]
    Strength:

Carbon Frame same as that used on higher-end Giant composite models.
    Blue-Black is a nice color scheme.
    Shimano 105 10-speed components are rock solid.
    TruVativ Elita 50-36 chainrings work better than expected.

Brakes--they are cheap quality and don't provide great stopping power--I've almost run into the back of guys in our group with better brakes on their bikes when slowing to a stop.
    Wheels--the stock wheels were heavy and I didn't care for the sparse-spoke design.
    Tires--the stock Michelin Dynamic tires were heavy, but at least they didn't puncture for the couple of months I used them.

I wanted to wait for a while before I wrote a review on this bike--after 2,000+ miles I feel confident in my opinions now on the Giant TCR Comp 3. I love this bike! It's the first carbon-framed bike I've owned and it was worth spending the extra money to get carbon over aluminum. I got a great end-of-season deal last fall from my local LBS and picked up this bike for $1,100 (most retailers wanted $1,500-1,800), which was just a bit more than I've spent on other aluminum bikes. I thought the carbon craze might be a bit of hype, but the ride quality is clearly superior. Bumps that would get rattled through an aluminum frame with a CHUNK-CHUNK have now turned into a small click-click instead on the carbon frame. I even had enough money left over to make some nice upgrades, such as swapping out the mediocre, heavy stock wheels with some lighter Easton Circuits and swapped the stock saddle with a Selle Italia Flite. I originally bought a ML frame but after a couple of weeks I thought it felt just a bit big from what I was used to. At 5'10" I was right in between Giant's sizes and the shop I bought from was nice enough to let me exchange for a Medium frame. I have shorter legs and a longer torso, so swapping out the stock 110mm stem with a 130mm stem worked wonders for my bike fit. The geometry is great on the bike and it's agile as well. It's very comfortable on my longer training rides, which are usually 40-60 miles of hammering with a group. I also think the 50-36 chainring setup works well. I thought I might need to switch out to a 53-39 setup but I think I like the 50-36 better, less need to drop to the smaller ring. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting to get a solid race-ready bike without spending a fortune.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Trek 1000
    2004 Giant OCR2
    2005 Specialized Allez Elite
    Brewha   Recreational Rider [Jun 27, 2007]
    Strength:

Great value for a carbon frame.

Breakes.

HI,
    I consider myself a newbie. Riding with a club for over a year. Bought the bike stock July 06 and put on 1500 miles by Dec. My LBS did a great job fitting the bike and I think that made the world of difference.(Thanks Kirk/Paul&Eric)Started at over 230 Lbs., now 195 Lbs. The bike is as comfortable as an old pair of jeans.
    A month after purchase the crank broke. My LBS contacted TruVativ and they overnighted a replacement. There was good and bad. The good: upgraded me to a TruVativ Ruoleur crank. The bad: it was not a compact crank. It has worked out great. I do miss the lower gear on some Bucks County PA roads. Has forced me to work harder and now I love to climb.

I just replaced the breaks with Ultegra and what a great improvement. It would be nice to have TCRs with all matching components. I am shopping for wheels and may replace the saddle.

Similar Products Used: Scott
    ziconater   Recreational Rider [Jun 13, 2007]
    Strength:

Responsive, light and efficient. Great value! $1,300 for full Carbon with Ultegra? Amazing!

Wheels and brakes that came with it are inferior compared to the other high quality components.

I've now put in over 8 months on this bike and ridden two centuries, so I'm feeling it's high time to give a it an honest review.

Mine is the Giant TCR LTD Version, so it came with full Ultegra componenets. From the initial ride, the frame was stiff, responsive and efficient. I would'nt call it a plush ride, but it was still comfortable after a century ride in Tahoe, which is saying something.

The Xero X-3 wheels that came with it are junk, and the Tektro Brakes should have come road hazard sticker. Otherwise, the bike is fantastic. I put on wheelset from ROL's (small Colorado Company / I nioticed that they advertise on this web site). and the thing is just sweet.

I would say if climbing and handling are your thing, then get this bike. You will not be disappointed. If you want plush and relaxed, look else where.

Similar Products Used: Trek 2200, Trek 5200
    al painter   Road Racer [May 19, 2007]
    Strength:

PRICE! frame, handling, climbing, weight, vibration damping of the carbon, very comfortable to ride, descends well, very cool colors, shifts very well.

stock seat left me needing a block of ice to sit on for my boys. Stock rims needed to be changed.

WOW! This is my first carbon framed road bike, and boy is it fast. I couldn't believe the difference between my aluminum framed Allez and the TCR. The bike almost jumps out from underneath you in a sprint, and it takes off faster than anything I can think of. Well, except for my Anthem 3 MTB XC Racer. The carbon also dampens almost every bumpin the road, and makes for a much smoother ride. There is also a significant weight difference between the Allez and TCR. With my Race Face cranks on the bike, it is a rocket underneath me. I'd give it 5/5 overall, but the stock wheels/saddle had to go. I do my first road race on it tomorrow, and I can't wait! I even chose to race on the road over a MTB race with my new Anthem to give this one a shot!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez
    heraken   Recreational Rider [Mar 25, 2007]
    Strength:

Light, responsive shifting, ride definitely softer than my old bike. Wow, modern technolgy is great, eh?
    Its great to pull up to a light and another rider looks over and says:"Nice Bike".

Had some plain label brakes on it that I replaced with 105s. Not having all matching components on the bike. To go along with their superior frames, Giant should make one with all 105, all Ultegra or all DA. Stop the whole mix/match thing. Maybe I am being picky...

I used to bike rigorously outdoors and indoors on an old set of Big Yankee rollers for several years, but about 12 years ago I got burned out. Spinning has been my main form of aerobic excercise for the last 1 1/2 years and naturally I got the bug again to get on a bike and fly. The last bike I bought is a 1988-89 model Maruken. So, I was planning on getting an '07 Giant (Al and composite) Alliance model with the Shimano 105 components, but for a hundred bucks more, bike shop recommended this TCR C3 2006 full composite frame model. After all it had the same components and I WAS looking for new technology with at least some carbon/composite to soften the ride. Wow, the C3 Giant is light and is a rocket. It is a joy to ride - I love the flight deck. I looked at the C2 model and although I am no officionado, for my type of riding, the components are not worth the extra cost. I ride hard up or down the hills, but I don't race. I guess time will tell if the 105 grouping will hold up or if I should have gone all Ultegra or DA. Heck, I don't even know which is the critical part... So far, YEEEEEHA.

Similar Products Used: M1988-89 aruken (?)with Suntour Cyclone components
    Frank121   Recreational Rider [Aug 13, 2006]
    Strength:

Price
    Value
    Ride
    Components
    Warranty
    Bought from a bike shop

None so far

This is a 2006 bike, although only options when posting this review was 2004 or 2005.

A couple of weeks ago, I found myself without a bike after selling the only built up bike I had and all of the framesets but one, which is sold but not shipped yet. I have ridden lugged steel frames with threaded forks and quill stems for many years, and decided to take a look at some different bikes like non-steel frames, carbon forks, threadless headsets, etc.

I took a day trip and visited a few bike shops that were close (100 miles away) and tried a few bikes on some parking lot and little longer test rides. I rode a Specialized aluminum, Giant carbon fiber and Giant aluminum, Bianchi carbon fiber and Bianchi aluminum, and Trek carbon fiber and Trek aluminum. The carbon fiber bikes seemed smoother and, since I was going to try something completely different, I decided on a carbon fiber bike. I couldn't tell much difference in the ride of the different carbon fiber frames on the short rides, plus I was looking to spend not a lot of money (may be looking for new type of bike but still looking for bargains!) so I narrowed down my search.

I had been dropping off frames and parts at a bike shop for a community cycling program in his town, and since he had been good to help with that project and was nice to me I decided to buy from him.

I ended up buying a Giant TCR C3 bike. Giant had them on sale for $1500 for the complete bike (Giant carbon fiber frame and fork, Shimano 105 10 speed shifters and rear derailleur, Ultegra front derailleur, Xero wheels, TruVativ Elita Compact crankset, etc). I bought the bike and have been able to get a few rides in since then (from 20-40 mile rides) on some familiar routes.

My mistake in my first ride was that I tried to set the bike up like my previous bikes had been, without taking into account the differences in the Fizik saddle that came on the bike and the Specialized Body Geometry saddle I had been riding. I set the new saddle with the same tip of saddle behind the center of the bottom bracket measurement without taking into account the effective distance of the two saddles due to the difference in construction. That left the Fizik with a shorter front section than the Specialized, which put me too far forward on the bike, which my knees felt for days afterward. Once I put my old saddle back on and got the bike really set up to the same measurements my old ones had been, I was better able to compare the Giant to the steel bikes I had been riding.

There doesn't seem to be much difference in the carbon fiber bike and steel bikes when cruising on smooth pavement. The ride feels much the same on the carbon fiber frame and fork as it did on the steel frame and fork bikes.

There is a difference on the rougher road surfaces. The Giant doesn't make the road ripples and bumps completely go away, but it does make them less noticeable and less "dramatic" on longer sections of rough road. Some rippled sections used to give me that mini jackhammer effect, but I didn't feel that on the Giant.

I also felt a difference on climbs. The Giant felt lighter going up hills, which could be due to the lighter weight and also in my head by knowing the bike was lighter. I am not sure how the gearing on this new bike (36/25 climbing gear compared to 39/27 on my old ones) compares so don't know what that would have to do with the feel of climbing.

The Giant seemed a little quicker when starting a sprint, but not much difference once I got going.

Descents didn't seem any different, as the Giant and my steel bikes held the road well.

I will need to log many more miles to really get a feel for the Giant, and how it compares to my loved lugged steel bikes, but so far I am pleased with what I bought