Giant TCR SLR Road Bike

Giant TCR SLR Road Bike

For sharp handling and efficient performance, it’s hard to beat the feel of the lightweight aluminum TCR SLR. Giant’s world-leading alloy engineering team achieved 20 percent thinner frame tubing walls for a superlight frame that doesn’t compromise stiffness or strength. Crafted from top-end ALUXX SLR–grade aluminum with proven design features including Giant’s Compact Road geometry and OverDrive tapered steerer tube, it’s light, it’s fast, it’s ready to rip.

[Sep 07, 2018]
Tanlu

Strength:

Bought this 2017 TCR SLR 1 with full Ultegra groupset (incl. crankset) as a used bike of nearly a year's age. This bike wants to be ridden fast! Superbly stiff with instant power transfer; yet it's sufficiently compliant for comfort (I have a Carbon Synapse as an other bike and the TCR doesn't shame itself for shock absorption). You do feel the road but it's neither annoying or tiring. The stock SL1 climbing wheelset sold with this year's model is stiff and light at 1585g and has been compared favourably to Mavic's Ksyrium Elite. The hubs look and sound like DT Swiss and I read somewhere that the spokes too are. The SL1 tyres that come with the bike are supple and grippy. The steel spokes are unfortunately not aero. Internal width = 17mm, external 23mm so ok for up to 28mm tyres. All in all, a superb quality stock wheelset that doesn't require immediate upgrading. This model uses internal cabling compared with earlier model - I have experienced no rattling whatsoever even when going over anti-speed strips on roads and cycleways. I am very pleased with the frame and component quality. FWIW, the TCR SLR 1 2017 is Overdrive 2 spec'd and uses a carbon fork with aluminium steerer; the stock wheelset is the SL1 climbing wheelset. The 2018 model of this bike uses a full carbon fork + steerer (same as the TOL TCR) and the heavier PR-2 wheelset. For the price I paid for this bike as well as for having the lighter wheelset, I have no envy of the latest model.

Paint quality is really very average. The previous owner clearly didn't keep his bike away from the elements in storage and old road muck has caused a lot of the top coat near the bottom bracket to fade (this in tropical Singapore with no salted roads). Welds are visible, so if you're expecting Cannondale or Canyon quality, don't. They are not ugly by any means but the weld ridges are visible. The carbon seatpost shows some surface cracking at the clamped zone from previous owner's seat position (I'm slightly taller). Factory handlebar tape is pitifully thin and slurps up moisture without letting go easily. This is of course a small issue a simple replacement has fixed.

Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2017
[Sep 04, 2016]
Ash

Strength:

Acceleration & handling.TCR geometry & fit generally brilliant & never bettered by others. Mat black finish looks like carbon, if that matters. External cabling's for better for home mechanics. Extreme value right now. SRAM Red for $2000.00 on a top end frame!!

Terrible saddle supplied IMHO but for the outlay, no big deal & if you're looking at this type of bike, you probably have your saddle preference & would upgrade immediately as I did. I guess you really can't put a bike on the shop floor without at least something atop the post. External cabling looks old fashioned to some.

4 weeks ago I got a brand new TCR SLR 0 (SRAM Red) for $2000.00 AUD. to replace a Lapierre Xelius 700 (SRAM force) Brilliant value! Acceleration is incredible, handling is wonderful. I'm not yet doing the 400ks a week I was on the Lapierre until 12 months ago but I've has no discomfort & can't imagine I will. The Lapierre was a plush ride & a bike I was very fond of, far better than the Avanti Quantum it replaced but the alloy Giant is close & much more comfortable than the carbon Avanti. Far more responsive than both. A Pro brand carbon head stem & bars aren't far away & I imagine this will negate the difference, then some carbon wheels. For $2k leaving budget for quality upgrades, I can't see a better bike on the market. There's still plenty around in retail land massively discounted from the original $4300.00 RRP. At least take a test ride if you're in the market for top shelf performance.
I understand 5 star user reviews can appear over the top. Please remember I only paid $2000.00 AUD for this bike off the shop floor.

Lapierre Xelius, Avanti Quantum, early 2000s TCR.

[Aug 11, 2015]
Mike

Strength:

Price. Weight. BB stiffness. Handling.

Can't think of any at this price point.

I got a 2014 SLR 0 with a wheel upgrade to the the P-SLR1, which is Giant's top alloy clincher. I paid AUD $2600 and am very happy.

The bike continues to surprise me. It's the first Giant I've owned and the first alloy bike I've ridden in a long time. They have come a long way. The geometry is good for me and translates to very quick but still accurate steering. The bottom bracket area is very stiff and it climbs well. The bike is also whisper quiet too (I hate creaky bikes). With full SRAM Red 22 and the upgraded wheels, DA pedals and cages, the bike is rolling at exactly 7.0kg for a ML size. It would be possible to build one of these very light if that's your thing.

I sense there are slight differences in the ride to my carbon bikes but I do not feel the need to jump back on carbon. I just sold a Scott Foil Team Issue and still have a Kuota KOM Evo. The Foil felt slightly more reactive but was a harsher ride and had a somewhat more vague line when cornering. The Kuota is slower steering than the Giant. It dampens more road buzz but is really unforgiving over bumps. I swapped their wheels for a while to compare and still arrived at the same opinion.

I'm surprised how much I like the Giant and don't see a need for anymore bike than this, for my needs.

Rode a CAAD10 for about 50km once and thought it was very good too. I also owned a frame made of Deda U2 tubing back in the day and the Giant is light years ahead.

[Mar 30, 2015]
jansC

Strength:

Stiff! Lighter than most carbon frames.
love the way it climbs. Not much has been said about its ability to scale up but it climbs like a mountain goat. Aero seat post smart design. Easy to adjust.

Frame graphic were difficult to match with non stealth wheels. had mine custom painted and I couldn't fault it anymore.

Love it. for the performance oriented budget conscious cyclist.

[Mar 12, 2014]
mgmoehn

Strength:

I ride the 2013 TCR SL 2 (red/black frame). This AL frame is hand down the best AL racing frame offered in the 2013 lineup (and 2014). Mine came with 105 drivetrain, cheaper shimano brakes, and cheap Giant pr-2 wheels. I upgraded to Sram Red/Force combo, and new Rol Volant R/T wheels, carbon zipp bar, and BOOM amazing ride!!

Hands down the best crit bike, with the right build can be around 15lbs and can be a crit crusher.

105 build shifts and functions fine, just wanted more snappy shifting from the brifters.
Giant PR-2 wheels are BLAH, not worth the wheels at all which is why the price was so low (1400). Broke a couple of spokes within 2 weeks of riding those wheels. Giant sent me an upgraded P-SL1 wheels that come on the SL1... those are actually worth something. They have a DT swiss influenced hub, DT swiss spokes, and Giant rims. They will not say DT swiss but I have had no problem with those wheels. They are my wheels I ride in a pinch. They handle really well actually they just dont match up to anything I would consider bombproof, stout and durable.
With the right build, this frame is amazing. Giant should sell this frameset.

Overall this bike is great and I love mine. I have upgraded the brakes, shifters, crank, FD, RD, Chain, wheels, handlebars, and saddle to make it my own. It is now lighter, faster, and ready to race. I am a competitive road racer and this frame is amazing. Took a couple of spill on it the first year I had it, if it would have been carbon, would have been TOAST