Giant TCR Road Bike

The TCR features Compact Road frame geometry and Giant's race proven ALUXX SL aluminium frames.

• frame: ALUXX SL Aluminum, Compact Road Design
  • fork: fomulaOne Full Composite, 1 1/8" w/alloy steerer

• User Reviews (21)

stevenp1   Road Racer [Jun 28, 2011]
    Strength:

Acceleration, climbing

Awesome ride - acceleration and climbing ability are fantastic. Very light and stiff. Great handling.

Westy   Triathlete [Nov 13, 2010]

If you what a bike were there's no limet to tour speed

D4LERAY   Recreational Rider [Jul 06, 2009]
    Strength:

Beautiful, smooth welds, looks like a carbon frame.
    Quick. Responsive.
    2.3lb Aluxx SL frame. Strong.
    Great value.

Heavy stock wheels

First things first. I started riding October 2007. This is my second road bike. This bike stock, has performed flawlessly, and I was riding it weighing in at 240 lbs. I am a strong sprinter, meaning I push a whole lot of weight into the bike out of the saddle and this bike has not blinked. It's noticeably faster and more responsive than my Giant OCR3. Very solid on descents (I've hit 41 mph, amazing how fast that feels on a bike). The frame is put together beautifully and is always mistaken for a carbon frame. Great bike even for me, a heavy rider on rough city streets.

Similar Products Used: 2007 Giant OCR3
    Patrick   Recreational Rider [Jul 02, 2009]
    Strength:

comfortable with the right setup
    105 componets

tires - there are better out there
    seat - VERY uncomfortable
    Xero rims are heavy and bend easily
    handlebars hurt
    SUPER THIN FRAME - a friend crashed into me and it totaled the bike and i had 2 scratches. The frame, rims, and handlebars were bent beyond repair

I had this bike since it was new in '06 and have loved it. It was my first road bike and it is really good for beginners. Just be careful, dont wreck or its totaled.

slowhandthebiker   Recreational Rider [Feb 14, 2009]
    Strength:

Wheelset, low weight for the price, nice components all from reputable manufacturers. Very, very hot looking.

Cosmetic flaws on the frame. Seatpost can be tought to move.

This review is for the 2009 Giant TCR 3. I’ve got 50 miles on the bike. In the short time I’ve had it, a few things have stood out.

Its ability to smooth out bumps is remarkable. The seat stays flex a great deal, soaking up road imperfections. This doesn’t seem to have any impact on pedaling response. Pedaling response is direct and immediate. I sense no flex at the BB or from its Shimano 105 cranks.

The wheel set (Mavic CXP22/Formula Hub/Sapim spokes) is surprisingly good. Other bikes at this price point had flashier wheels (Mavic Aksium for example) but these show little flex, spin smoothly and have what I believe are butted spokes.

Other bikes at this price had no-name brakes, Giant went with effective Shimano 105s.

The design of the frame is complex and shows lots of interesting, high quality, engineering choices. I’m disappointed in the execution of its design however. There are several small cosmetic flaws on the frame including mold flaws that appear like scratches, a wavy surface and some flaws in the application of its Graphics. Paint is chipping at the rear dropout. My carbon Cannondale Rush 3 displays a significantly better finish.

On the plus side, the graphics are all underneath clear and should wear well. Aside from the aluminum dropouts, I’m optimistic about its long-term appearance.

It weighs in at 17.5 pounds w/o pedals and a 40cm FSA bar in place of the 42cm Race Face Cadence bar.

Similar Products Used: Owned a 90's Raleigh Supercourse. Tested Bianchi C2C, Bianchi BFP, Scott CR1, Trek Madone 4.5, Specialized Tarmac, Cannondale Six 6, Novara Squadra. (Really road a lot of bike before picking my Giant!)
    esolis8972   Road Racer [Feb 19, 2008]
    Strength:

The frame rocks at 3 lbs; feels stiff, no dead feel of carbon, but no harsh feel from aluminum.

Stock bike weighs 20 pounds, stock fork is 1.4 pounds, stock wheels make bike feel like 40 pounds...upgrade the wheels, and you will be smiling like me!

TCR Alliance: Carbon top, aluminum bottom; this bike does exactly what it sets out to do. I demo'd the Advanced, but I do not see myself spending that much money on a bike anymore. I set the bike up with SRAM Rival and Ksyrium SL's, and I just love it. It feels stiff with medium feedback, stable and responsive.

Similar Products Used: Trek 5200, Specialized Tarmac/Roubaix/Allez, Felt F4C, Bianchi 928L/SL Giro, Solis, Cannondale 2.8, Serotta, Schwinn Peloton/564, GT Ti, GT Edge, Murray
    Patrick, from Western MD   Recreational Rider [Aug 23, 2007]
    Strength:

1) Incredible value for your hard-earned money.
    2) Awesome stock arrangment.
    3) Bike looks great- black/white w/ some areas left to just show off the carbon fabric

At some point you will have to get off of it and get some work done.

This review is for a 2006 TCR Limited...
    Absolutely fantastic ride for the money! The full carbon frame/fork/seat post combination gives just the right amount of flex to smooth out some of the bumpier road surfaces in neighboring West Virginia.
    Terrific setup of stock components: Ultegra front/rear shift as smooth as silk, Truvativ crank will probably remain on there for awhile (some claim this crankset is too heavy, but I'm not complaining), Michelin Dynamics on Xero rims work well even on extremely gravelly/wet roads. Generic brakes are great in most cases, but on some long steep hills I have experienced significant fade (probably would happen with any brake, though). I'm generally pleased with the stock saddle- even on the 30-50 mi. trips I've taken it hasn't left me in pain.
    Compared to some of the aluminum and steel frames I test rode, the composite TCR frame provides a slighly more sluggish response to pedal input, but it is still a rocket up hills and on flats. I can easily accelerate up hills without getting off the seat. Going downhill, my GPS has shown as fast as 47 mph while the bike glides along smoothly and deliberately- at this kind of "racing" speed, niether stability nor handling is in question.
    I'm a fairly light weight guy (~130 lbs), about 5'10", and the "L" frame size seems to fit me just right.
    I would recommend this bike to almost anyone thinking about getting into modern road biking. I'm in graduate school for aerospace engineering now, and my somewhat limited knowledge of composite structural analysis tells me that this bike would be terrific for anyone weighing less than ~180 lbs. If you're heavier, maybe metal frames are better.(When aluminum or steel is pushed to the point of yielding, it'll just start bending for a while before it fails. Composites, on the other hand, will just keep taking the stress until "boom"- complete explosive failure)

Similar Products Used: Test rode:
    Trek 1500, Comparable steel Bianchi, Cannondale CAAD 8, Cannondale six13
    (of these, the only model that really competes with the TCR Limited is the CAAD 8)
    aliensporebomb   Recreational Rider [Aug 11, 2007]
    Strength:

-light weight (17.5 lbs)
    -fast acceleration
    -nimble handling
    -decent performance on downhills
    -no flexing of the frame observed under hard acceleration
    -great bike for long or short road rides
    -good value for the money
    -addictive to have a speedy race bike!

-in 2007 the price point this bike sold at can buy you full Ultegra 10 if you look.
    -nine speed is effectively being phased out now.
    -aluminum frame ride characteristics (mitigated by carbon fork/post).
    -aluminum frame feels beer can thin - be careful...
    -the following years tcr bikes had carbon forks with thinner blades, on this model stiff crosswinds pick up the fork and post blades noticeably so keep an eye out for crosswinds. Only noticeable at faster windspeeds.

This review applies to the Giant TCR 2 aluminum framed road racing bicycle with full Shimano 105 9-speed componentry. Compact frame (tested, size small).
    Current mileage: 4751 miles. Color is
    ONCE yellow.

Similar Products Used: -Cannondale R700
    -Giant OCR 1
    -Trek 1000
    spartan7   Recreational Rider [Jan 10, 2007]
    Strength:

Great value, light weight, aero feel, solid build, stiff frame, fast, great components, confidence on climbs and descents

TruVativ crank, Front fork noise

This review is for a Giant TCR2 05'. I origonally was intending to buy the OCR1, but after riding the two at the bike shops I opted for the TCR2. The TCR2 has a more race geometry and fits me better. I am 6 foot 135lbs and a large frame fits me perfectly. The components work great and the 105 tiagra combination set up works well. The tiagra front derailer is in no way an inferior component contrary to what some might say or believe. Proper adjustment is key for any bike derailer setup. The bike is light ~19lbs and the handling is excellent. Descents and climbs are no problem. Major climbs can be somewhat of an issues since the bike is a double (53/39t) and my set up uses a somewhat small rear cassette. The front fork makes some creaking noise under hard sprints or climbs. I have not been able to pinpoint the problem causing this so far. The Truvative crank is good mechanically but the chrome plating is falling off and pitting and looks bad. Other than esthetics the crank performs well with little to no flex at all. The ride is somewhat stiff but the carbon fork and seat post help out a lot. Although the stiff frame is excellent under hard acceleration.
    Overall this is a great bike and probably the best value out there for this level of components. Giant makes an excellent product and the OCR and TCR models are really good bikes. Go with the TCR for a race geometry or the OCR for a more relaxed feel. The only thing that kept me from giving a 5 start overall rating is the esthetics of the TruVativ crank, although relatively minor and should not influence a purchasing decision.