Jamis Quest Road Bike

Quest

Nothing—absolutely nothing—beats steel’s magic carpet ride quality. It’s why magazines describe the most praiseworthy carbon and aluminum frames as being “steel-like.” Steel is the benchmark. And these bikes show you why. Legendary Reynolds steel—possibly the winningest brand in cycling—and our own Size Specific Tubing guarantee amazing ride quality, with the zing and resilience that minimizes road vibration and maximizes pedal efficiency and handling potential. Steel road bikes just feel planted in corners, and with our full carbon road fork to guide them, these bikes absolutely rail around the bends.

Jacques LeDoux   Recreational Rider [May 08, 2016]
Strength:

The Supple Steel Frame - it's like a Schwinn LeTour on Steroids

105 Brakes are Weak.
I replaced the Ritchey stem with a Less Aggressive Bontrager (upward angle) stem.

I have several bikes one is Bianchi Carbon Fiber, Raleigh Seven Aluminum Cruiser, Team Marin MTB (Steel) and now a Jamis Quest Elite 2014 model. I can't believe how smooth and comfortable the Jamis feels. I have been dealing in used bikes for over 12 years and I can competently say the Quest is the new version of a classic Schwinn LeTour on steroids. The Quest carves out curves like a scimitar through a melon. I glide through my regular routes feeling like I was 15 years old again. The old saying "Steel is Real" and "When Steel Was King" can be resurrected for this bike. I'm a 62 year old USMC Veteran with a Defibrillator/Pacemaker and everything worked fine on my last 4 rides (after being on hiatus for heart surgery for 2 years). It's nice to know that living in Bike Country (Minneapolis) I can ride again!!!!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Voyageur, Gary Fisher "Alfresco", Schwinn "Classic Cruiser" all three bikes made of Steel
Matt Foley   Recreational Rider [Oct 22, 2013]
Strength:

No complaints.

Rear brake cable is underneath top tube. When bike is transported on a bike hanger off your car trunk, the hangers rub the brake cable against the bottom of the top tube and rub off the paint. No paint equals rust. Why couldn't they route the cable on the side or top?

Had to replace rear wheel when some spokes broke at the double walled rim.

Within a few years the frame had cracked at seat tube. Performance Bike upgraded my Quest frame to Jamis Eclipse frame (stronger steel alloy), no charge because lifetime warranty. Don't know why they didn't charge for the frame upgrade.

I was happy with that. No problems until 2012 when REAR BRAKES FAILED. The metal rear brake bridge detached from the carbon seat stays. Most brake bridges are welded to the seat stays; not on this Eclipse. For some incomprehensible reason Jamis decided to use an aluminum or other metal bridge and epoxy it between the stays. Over time the epoxy failed. Squeeze the rear brake, the brakes grab the wheel, and the bridge pries loose from the stays.

I've never heard of this happening; as far as I know I'm the only one. I tried for months to get a response from Jamis with no results. Out of luck because Performance doesn't carry Jamis any longer. Also, the shop I purchased from closed. Before they closed I had them check their records for my purchase but they didn't go back that far. I had no way to prove my purchase to get it repaired.

Jack   [Aug 04, 2013]
Strength:

Wonderful steel frame
Carbon fork

FSA crankset
"Ergo" bars
Alex wheels

Before delivery, I had my bs swap the Alex wheels with a pair of Mavic Kysirum Equip from my old bike.
I eventually changed the handlebar to FSA 'short and shallow'
Came across a full used SRAM Rival groupo, so ditched the 105/FSA stuff. The SRAM is much better.
Using Fizik Aliante saddle.
Sometimes I think about a new bike, but a few minutes on anything else is a drag.
I have several thousand miles on mine and it never gets old.
I got a good deal when I bought it. It was left over, probably 2010 model(black/white)

Roy   [Feb 10, 2013]
Strength:

I purchased a 2004 model back in 2005 when they became "clearance" models. What a fantastic deal I got. I paid roughly a grand and have been pounding the pavement now for a solid 8 years. There are thousand of bikes available out there but I would never consider owning anything other than my Quest. I'll venture to say that I have ridden 20K miles on her and NOTHING has gone wrong except ONE flat tire.

The ONLY thing that has needed repaired in 9 years is the handle bar tape needed replaced....its so laughable! What other bike rider could compare to that.

Awesome, awesome awesome!

Slow but old   Recreational Rider [Nov 20, 2012]
Strength:

This has been a great bike for nine months. The frame is supple and smooth, the components are well matched to one another and to the frame.

. It helps to buy a bike at a great shop. The FD was faulty and the shop upgraded to Ultegra, replaced and tuned it to a T. The odd adjustable stem is really kind of handy, although it looks really strange.

I modified my Quest a bit before I bought it. Nicer wheels, with Open Pro rims, X-ray spokes, and White Industries hubs (32/28) are fabulous. Brooks Pro seat looks right on the frame, with a setback seatpost from Velo Orange, and 105 all the way through, including brakes and a triple with a 26 tooth granny gear. The final price remained just under $2500, and it is money well spent. I am a reasonably strong recreational rider, 56, and have put 1500 miles on the bike since March. The way I have set it up would not suit a racer, but it could be a club bike with an SRAM drivetrain and skinnier tires. I tried the Giant Defy 1, a Roubaix, and a couple of Treks, and found nothing to compare with my version of the Quest at the 2200 to 2800 price point.

Similar Products Used: 2001 Coda
Kim   [Oct 12, 2012]
Strength:

This might be the best bike I've ever owned! I've ridden steel frames for years but nothing, NOTHING, comes close to how this bike moves me through the roads. It's supple and alive and I feel stronger than I actually am. And, I was able to fenders and a nice aerodynamic rack on the back so I can actually use it for something other than longer weekend rides!

I wish it came with pedals. I understand why it doesn't but it's a lot of money and a decent knockoff shimano pedal would be nice.

Overall, 10 out of 10. Seriously the best amount of money I could've ever spent on a bike. It makes me want to ride more and more. This is something out of my imagination!

Bodyshop Boy   Recreational Rider [Feb 27, 2012]
Strength:

One of the best values in a steel frame bike. Jamis stands by their product even upgrading the front deraileur from 105 to Ultegra. Ride quality head and shoulders above carbon.

Chain ring won't release chain so it binds up in the front deraileur under even modest load.

A riding buddy of mine was touting the ride quality of steel and since I was in the market for a new bike, my "Quest" began. It seems there are very few off-the-shelf manufacturers who offer a steel frame of this quality at this price.

I rode the Quest side by side with a comparable Jamis carbon frame and the ride quality is head and shoulders above. The Carbon frame transmitted every little road seem and bump, the steel - smooth as silk!

Have had some trouble with the chain ring refusing to release the chain under moderate load, causing it to wrap up into the deraileur. Jamis not only replaced the front deraileur but upgraded it to an Ultegra unit at no additional cost. Problem improved, but not solved will look to replace the crank set next.

I only have a couple of hundred miles on the bike so far, but really like the feel. This frame is a keeper.

Similar Products Used: 2008 Specialized Alez Elite
Justin   [Feb 21, 2012]
Strength:

Love it. Smooth ride and groupos are the bomb. It's really one of the best deals out there.

The groupos. They need constant tune ups, and I don't mean the breaks. It's the gearing. It will start to give you problems in 3 months. The other thing I think Jamis should spring for is run flat tires. I hit a patch of spurs (I'm in SoCal) and lost both tires at once. No prb, except I'm on a bike about 15 miles from home. Yeah, that wasn't cool, but not necessarily Jamis fault. Just would like to see a company think a little more. I'd have paid another 50 bucks to not have to pay a taxi 100 for the mistake.

I have had the quest for a few years and I love it. It's got all of what I need in a road bike. Good groupos and a nice slide on the road without any bumps.

Croz   Commuter [Jan 23, 2012]
Strength:

The ride is smooth and swift, the component set is an incredible value for the money.

I suppose the only weakness is the fact that the steel frame adds a bit of weight if you're considering a carbon fiber or aluminum frame instead.

In my pursuit for a great road bike I started with aluminium before falling in love with a carbon fiber bike. After learning about the fragility of a CF bike and the theft risk, I decided to look for something that is a bit more durable. After riding an Eclipse with all Ultegra parts (and coming back sore) I decided to give the Quest a ride expecting little difference.

Man, was I in for a surprise. The quest is as smooth as butter yet still felt as peppy as a bike many pounds lighter. The components are smooth and light and the bike is a joy to ride. I used to feel every mile in my previous bike. On my Quest I have to cut myself off. The ride is so swift and smooth I just want to keep going.

Similar Products Used: Carbon: Felt Z5, Aluminum: Cannondale Synapse
Jodi   Commuter [Aug 15, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth ride, great components, comfortable for miles, great transfer of power with the FSA crankset.

Stock seat uncomfortable - an easy fix.

When I finally opted to get a more serious bike for distance rides, I looked long and hard. Tested lots of carbon, and fell in love with steel. I purchased a 2009 Jamis Quest and never looked back.

That is, until I was hit by a car, thus ended my original Quest's too short life (but happily not mine). When I started looking around again for a bike to replace what I lost, it quickly became apparent that I should look no further than the Quest. So I got the 2010 model when the 2011's came out.

There were only minor differences in the two models, and in my opinion they were improvements: tires went from 23C to 25C (better for general riding; I'm not racing), the wheelset itself got a bit fancier, and the color went from black to red. I love the red.

The Quest is an incredibly smooth and comfortable ride. It's hard to beat the stock components at this price point. I plan on keeping this bike for years to come.