Jamis Xenith Comp Road Bike

Xenith Comp

• FRAME: Full carbon fiber composite frame including lugs, sloping top tube design, monostay seatstays, replaceable derailleur hanger.
  • FORK: Jamis 1-piece, fully integrated carbon fiber, with alloy dropouts.
  • HEADSET: FSA IS-3 Integrated, theadless, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Mavic Aksium 700C wheelset, 20/24H UB Control rims, QRM sealed cartridge/FTS-L hubs, stainless steel spokes.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Quartz, 700 x 23C, Kevlar.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano Ultegra rear, ‘105’ braze-on front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano ‘105’ Dual Control STI, 20-speed.
  • WEIGHT: 17.75 lbs

• User Reviews (7)

Stephen Fullerton   [Mar 09, 2013]
    Strength:

2010 featured a great component spec and race quality frame. Entry level wheels sucked but that was a huge plus

Cheesy white tape and seat

I have logged somewhere around 6000 miles on my Xenith Comp since 2010 and flat out love this bike. I listed the low end wheels as a positive because for a bike that you can purchase for under $2000 most of the time all you actually have to do is slap on some Neuvations M28X's or American Classic 420's and you will have a full blown speed machine and still be around $2500. Great balance in ride feel and feedback. I wouldn't say that it excels at any one aspect of climbing, descending, or riding in the flats, its just simply ready for anything you ask it to do and you can confidently handle any situation.

Mike   [Sep 13, 2012]
    Strength:

Purchased my Jamis Xenith Comp brand new in 2011. I researched and reviewed a number of different brands and set a MAX budget for myself of about $3000.00 dollars. I ended up paying a good bit less than that for my Xenith Comp, but I have to say the bike gives nothing away in terms of performance, spec, fit or finish! I have gotten several compliments from other riders at different stops on how sharp the bike is. Mine is the combo pearl white with kevlar weave and looks striking. The nice red anodized bits really set it off well too. The ride quality is typically stiff for carbon, but it transmits power awesome and corners like it's on rails! I do notice the stiffness a bit on longer, bumpier back-road rides, but I think the handling and acceleration make for a worthwhile trade off. I have always been a huge Shimano component fan as well. It may not always be the "sexiest" stuff out there, but it always functions flawlessly, and the 105 components on this bike are no exception. Shifting is crisp and accurate, and I experienced very minimal cable stretch and adjustment after my initial few rides. I think the other big perk of this bike is that it's all there - meaning, I would not hesitate to invest and upgrade components as time needed or as I desired. For example, I do like the Mavic wheel set the bike came with, but it's a bit on the heavy side. I think I'm going to invest in a lighter set of wheels eventually and keep the Mavic's for training rides. The only other upgrade I am considering is a set of Ritchey WCS carbon bars.

About the only weakness I can come up with is that the bike is stiff - so if you're looking for a softer more compliant ride, this may be a drawback for you.

Overall, dollars to value, performance and quality, I would give this bike 5 of 5 stars. Similarly equipped bikes from other manufacturer's that I looked at were a good bit more $ wise and I didn't care for the looks, appearance as much either.

Andy Hutcheson   Road Racer [May 18, 2010]
    Strength:

Relatively light
    Very stable
    Gorgeous matte black carbon finish
    Turns a lot of heads back here in Canada
    Was concerned with going to Shimano from Campy but components are bomb-proof.

Wheels are a little heavy, but compared with Allez, overall bike is almost 6 lbs lighter

2009 Jamis Xenith Comp: Upgraded from a 1994 Specialized Allez Comp c/w full Campy gruppo. Very pleased with Allez, but wanted to spoil myself with a carbon upgrade. Used to race a lot, but I am currently recovering from a right hip replacement so comfort and weight was a factor in purchase. Rick Marquis at Javelina Cycles was very helpful with regards to what I wanted and what I needed. Did extensive research on-line and at local bike shops before making my purchase. (Only bike I could find with virtually "no negatives" in the reveiws) Rode with the Phoenix Metro Bike Club during our stay in Phoenix and would not have been able to stay with Saturday/Sunday groups withour the Xenith!!!

Similar Products Used: Test Rode: Specialized Roubaix Comp
    Scott CR 1
    Cannondale Six Carbon 6
    Buckhead   Triathlete [Apr 15, 2010]
    Strength:

Great value
    Stable at speed
    Confidence-inspiring

Stock wheelset is heavy
    Compact crank

My bike is actually a 2008 (year before the BB30), but it was not an option.

This was my first road bike and I was very happy with my choice. The bike is comfortable, lightweight and responsive. Additionally, it was stable at 40mph.

The design also got a fair amount of compliments with the exposed carbon and silver paint job.

Similar Products Used: Test Rode:
    Trek Madone (Nice, but overpriced)
    Felt F5 (nice, but harsh)
    Litespeed Ultimate (my baby)
    jdabama13   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2009]
    Strength:

Smooth, stable ride. Quality components. Value.

A little heavy for a carbon bike.

I have been pleased with my purchase. The FSA compact 50/34 is perfect for climbing. Lots of climbing here on Oahu, with many grades of 18-19% and I had no problem going from the triple on my OCR1 to the double on the Jamis. However, the bike is not a fast descending machine, likely due to the low-quality wheels.

Similar Products Used: Giant OCR1
    wobe   Recreational Rider [Oct 01, 2008]
    Strength:

Good power transfer, very stable and smooth ride. Decent components for price.

If you live in hilly areas and are in average to above average shape then the double chainring may be challenging on some slopes.

2008 Xenith Comp

Good overall bike. Very stable on descents, good power transfer, and relatively light. Slightly sluggish when accelerating very hard. Bought based on Bicycling magazine recommendation.

Tested
    Specialized Tarmac Elite - solid carbon build, rides a bit firm on uneven pavement but very stable on hills, slightly lacking in feel, horribly uncomfortable stock saddle
    Specialized Allez Elite - aluminum is tad rigid, squeaking noises, and not as stable on descents
    Giant TCR C1 - very quick and responsive, lightweight carbon build, but a bit twitchy on steep descents
    Fuji Team - carbon build, same comments as the TCR C1

For the average enthusiast/recreational rider living in the Bay area the double compact chainring on the Xenith may be somewhat limiting especially if you are tackling some of the steeper terrain. In general, satisfied with my purchase but would purchase a bike with a triple chainring next time. Didn't test the Fuji CCR line but wished I had as it has the similar geometry, carbon build, and componentry but at much lower cost during y/e closeouts.