Jamis Xenith Pro Road Bike

Jamis Xenith Pro Road Bike

• FRAME: Full carbon fiber composite frame including lugs, sloping top tube design, monostay seatstays, replaceable derailleur hanger.
  • FORK: Jamis 1-piece, fully integrated carbon fiber, with alloy dropouts.
  • HEADSET: FSA Orbit Integrated, theadless, 1 1/8”.
  • WHEELSET: Mavic Ksyrium Elite 700C wheelset, 18/20H Maxtal rims, sealed cartridge QR FTS-L hubs, straight pull Zicral spokes.
  • TIRES: Hutchinson Fusion Comp, 700 x 23C, Kevlar.
  • DERAILLEURS: Shimano Ultegra SS rear, Ultegra braze-on front.
  • SHIFTERS: Shimano Ultegra Dual Control STI, 20-speed.
  • WEIGHT 16.75 lbs

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 08, 2010]
    Jorin

Strength:

Smooth ride
    Comfortable
    Fast
    Well spec'd

Paint??
    Stock wheels not up to serious racing.

Just picked up NOS 2009 Xenith Pro. Smooth, fast, and well spec'd for the price. I never expected a carbon frame to ride like a cross between ti and steel, but this one does. Rough roads are still felt, but not harshly, while a solid, tactile feel is still maintained. Components, so far, are fine. I am not sold on one grouppo over another, so am fine with running Sram.

On hard accelerations, I have not felt any frame flex. The stock wheels, while not great for racing, work really well as a training set. The paint job looks great, though I am concerned about flaking. Just wish I had legs which better challenged the bike.

Overall, I would rate this the best ride I have ever experienced on any bike, made of any material.

Cannondale Caad 3
    Semi-custom Ti
    Steel
    Trek 5200
    Specialized Tarmac

[Jul 26, 2009]
    earnric

Strength:

Weight, responsiveness, components (for the price).
    Great feel.

Wish it had a clear-coat on the natural carbon fiber, but @ 2k for an all-carbon frame you can't complain.

Great value... great ride.

After riding my Trek 1400 for 20+ years I decided it was time to upgrade. I looked at Treks, Felts and a few others. Although I liked the ride and styling of the Trek 2.3, the Jamis just 'felt' better and had a better set of components.

I only have a few hundred miles on the bike, but I really like it: light, responsive yet a TON softer ride than my old aluminum frame.

Trek 2.3
    Felt Z35

[Jul 24, 2009]
    Waterboy3

Strength:

smooth ride quality, accelerates well, climbs like crazy and as I pedal home from every ride all year I think what a great bike this is.Like the wheels and Ultegra group. Honest weight for this bike weighed on several different scales is less than 19lbs with bottle cages, seatpack containing tube, pump,tire irons, patches,energy bar and a few small tools.

not my favorite handlebar shape that is a personal preference, am looking at a change from the Easton bar.

I wanted to post a review the first week I owned the Xenith. Thought is might be influenced by new gear euphoria. Now after a year of riding I am just convinced this is a great frame and bike set up. I had ridden a lugged steel framed 1984 Trek since 1984. It was comfortable, reliable, and other than a the occasional flat and tune ups never had any problems. A smooth, comfortable user friendly bike. Decided at my girlfriends urging to treat myself to an upgrade. Considered Ridley Excaliber, and of course Trek, Specialized, Giant, and Independent Fab. Was very worried about upgrading and losing the smooth steel ride. A combination of budget, great customer service,a Bicycling Magazine review and ride quality got me into the Xenith Pro. I am 6' inseam 35.5" and the 58cm is a good fit, The ride is smooth, chip seal, gravel and broken pavement doesnt hammer you through the saddle or the handlebars. The service at Bicycle Bananas was great,they upgraded the crankset to the SLK Lite compact and were like a LBS even over the phone. Bike arrived and after a few small adjustments and putting on the pedals the first ride was great. This bike has about 2500 miles on it, the tires have worn well, the bike handles precisely, climbs with ease and I have finally come to terms with the Arione saddle after years of riding a original Ti Flite.
    Ride then decide for yourself, this is a wonderful bike for me.

not used just test rode carbon frame Trek, Giant, Specialized, Ridley Excaliber, all SRAM or Ultegra.

[Nov 05, 2008]
    JCH

Strength:

Stiff frame, light, great components, great shifting & braking. Even the saddle is good. Climbs like a dream. Price is right.

Had a couple of noises from the crank or bb early on, but the shop took it apart & checked it out & lubed everything well - fine ever since.

2008 model. Love this bike! I thought I loved my 2003 Trek 5200, but I have never looked back. The price is outstanding for what you get (I compared it to the Madone 5.5).
    This bike makes me want to go out and ride. I wasn't even in the market for a new road bike, but once I rode it, I had to have it.
    Compact frame with shorter wheelbase than I am used to - I have significant toe overlap, but it isn't a problem (until I do a U-turn)

Trek 5200

[Aug 08, 2008]
    TMoreno

Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light, I could go on and on.

Built frame up with Full Dura-Ace. Best bike I've ever owned. Very stiff yet super light. Absorbs the road like no other bike I've ridden. I'm 190lbs so the stiffness of the bike is a blessing.

Fuji, Cannondale, Look, Masi, Felt

[Apr 14, 2008]
    bikegeekjames

Strength:

Everything you get for the money. Simply unbeatable.

Stock wheels were a little heavy, but i only use them for training rides anyway

Bike is very responsive and stiff, while at the same time forgiving in the long haul. I specialize in critiriums, which this bike excels in, but while doing other, longer races, the bike was great for long distance. Geometry is on par with Compact geometry setup. Jamis is a great company that simply can't be beat for the money. Forget stupid, overpriced Cannondales and Treks, get a way better bike with a Jamis!

Raleigh Prestige, Trek Madone, Cervelo

[May 25, 2007]
    ulfelder

Strength:

Super-light, super-responsive. It feels like the bike is amplifying my effort, not absorbing it.

Steering column is long and stem is stacked higher than most road racers would prefer, but this is easy to remedy.

This bike really flies. It's the fastest machine I've ever ridden. It's also surprisingly smooth, given how stiff it feels.

Trek 2300

[May 25, 2007]
    Jay

Strength:

Super-light, super-responsive. It almost feels like the bike is amplifying your effort, not sapping it.

The bike comes with a long steering column and tall stack of spacers that put you in a more upright position than most road racers prefer, but this is easy to remedy.

This bike really flies. Fastest machine I've ever ridden.

I'm also really impressed with its combination of stiffness and shock absorption. Riding a familiar stretch on a local rail trail the other day, I kept thinking I was about to reach a particular patch of bumps, and all of I sudden I realized I'd already passed it. The bike was so smooth, I hadn't noticed it.

Trek 2300

[Apr 22, 2007]
    rattlesnake

Strength:

Light, stiff, responsive, compliant, stable.

Need to file down a bit of the front derailer to get great shifting. Easy fix and most likely due to the use of a previous generation of derailer.

First, this was a new Frame and Fork purchase, not whole bike.

This is my first jump into a carbon frame. I have been training and racing on steel for many years. I have to say that I am blown away by the stiffness and compliance of this frame. Steel is very comfortable but this is definitely better reducing the road buzz.

As far as stiffness goes; it is nearly impossible to flex the chain into the front derailer! I am a 165 pound rider and can generate some watts. Power goes to the wheel not the frame. As far as handling; very crisp, stable and predictable at high and low speeds. The 73 Degree seat and head tube angles make for great road geometry. To add to all of this the frame is made at the same factory as Cervelo and it shows in the build quality.

Ridden on various Trek carbon, Argon 18 carbon, Cervelo carbon and this frame easily holds its own.

[Apr 22, 2007]
    Daryl LeBlanc

Strength:

Light, stiff, responsive, compliant, stable.

First, this was a new Frame and Fork purchase, not whole bike.