Kestrel RT-1000 Road Bike

Kestrel RT 1000 105: Lightweight Comfort and Speed The Kestrel RT 1000 features an endurance geometry giving the rider a more upright and comfortable position for more efficiency and sustainability during high mileage rides. At the core...

Dave   Recreational Rider [Mar 27, 2016]
Strength:

Fairly light, smooth on rough pavement, great geometry, great up hills, good down hills, good feedback, great tires. Smooth shifts. Very good bang for the buck.

Seat is awful.

I started riding seriously in 2012. I used two mid 80s Schwinn 12 speeds as my rides doing 18,000 miles in that time. I finally took the plunge and bought an all carbon bike. I am the kind of person who does major research over a long time before I make my choice. I was no different before I chose the 2015 Kestrel RT1000/105. I like Treks, but they are way over priced. Now, because this was my first carbon bike I don't have a lot to compare, but this Kestrel RT1000 is really, really nice. It has made the world of difference when riding all the miles I ride in a year. I'm coming up to my anniversary of owning this bike and I have never regretted it. I keep thanking my wife for allowing me to purchase it! I've heard that Oval wheels have a bad rap for getting out of true, but my wheels are still perfect after 5000 miles! The standard tires have lasted as well, but I will change soon for the new season. I will buy the same kind. Speaking of the tires they are sure-footed, grippy, yet roll with ease. The only downside to this bike is the seat. It is horrible! But, there are plenty of good, comfortable choices out there. Considering all that you get: fairly lightweight all-carbon frame, good wheels, great tires, Shimano 105 group set, good-looking color scheme and this comes all at a great price-point! Highly recommend!!

Similar Products Used: None
Sedu   [Dec 12, 2014]
Strength:

Solid design handles rough roads well. Climbs well. Attractive design.

Does not descend well. Wheelset is heavy.

I'm an intermediate cyclist. I do a lot of regional fondos, weekend group rides, etc. I'm a 40 y/o runner who started cycling as my knees and flat feet began to grow more and more bothering. With that said, i have not been a roadie all my life. My first bike was a Fuji Roubaix which i still own and love to ride. I upgraded to the Kestrel because I wanted a lighter stiffer frame and that's pretty much what i have. The roubaix is an aluminum frame with a race geometry, whereas the RT is carbon with a more upright desgin.

If you are looking to upgrade from aluminum to carbon, you'll notice a difference not so much in lightness (although it is lighter), but more so in less vibration and road noise. The best word i can used to describe this bike is solid. The well built and sturdy frame dampens road noise quite well.

I've put in over 3000 miles after having it for less than a year and i enjoy it. I have the 2014 105 and in hindsight should have waited and purchased the ultegra as i'm looking ot upgrade now.

Matt   Recreational Rider [Nov 29, 2014]
Strength:

Light, stiff, excellent on flats, strong climber, a lot of giddy up. I am 225 lbs and feels great, better than Cervelo RS. At under $1700 for carbon bike with ultegra group, this is a great value!

Standard wheelset was heavy, I upgraded to Campy Shamal Ultras. Saddle was unusable and was replaced. Otherwise a great build out of the box!

As soon as I clipped in I could feel this is a solid platform, but spinning up to speed quickly really got my attention much easier to maintain at 20mph+ than previous bike which was Cervelo RS, which I sold due to fit issues. The slightly uptight geometry and smooth ride are a delight to this 58 yo cyclist.

Similar Products Used: Cervelo RS
Millhaus   Recreational Rider [Mar 10, 2014]
Strength:

Amazingly comfortable without giving up much at all

the slightly relaxed geometry makes climbing slower than on a race geometry frame

I have to say I am amazed at the way this frame rides. I find myself riding faster for longer on the flats on this bike than my Fuji SL1. It does not climb as fast as the SL1 but descending and going the distance this bike is the ticket! I know we all are not supposed to be into looks but the carbon on this bike, the shape of the tubes etc is just beautiful! it is like a work of art, comfortable and smooth. If you are looking for a great bike that does it all and is different than everyone elses treks & cannondale, this is the bike for you!

Similar Products Used: Fuji SL1 Shimano
Kid Canada   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2013]
Strength:

Frame is stiff
Cornering
Geometry

Oval Wheelset

I don't have alot to compare this bike to as all my previous bikes were mountain bikes, but my experience has been mostly great. It was like going from driving a dump truck to jumping into a corvette. Mine came with the 105 groupset from front to back.

Once I got used to the Kestrel I just loved the feel. Smooth ride and corners very well. I don't have a lot of hills but I managed to max out at 51kph at the bottom of one of the small hills I do have. I never once felt like the bike was going to come out from under me and was trying to get even more speed out of it. The frame is stiff (and I am a bigger rider at 6'3” and 240lbs) and responds well to when I put power into the wheels. Even in the high winds it still performs very nicely, I just wish I could say the same.

The only weakness I found was the Oval wheelset. This may have been partly my fault as I was used to putting a lot of torque into the pedals on mountain bikes but road bikes are not big fans of that. I had the back wheel trued up twice in the fall as it kept going out of round. Now I have learned to not “mash” the pedals and the wheels finished the year up fine. I have alreasy upgraded the wheels for the coming year and look forward to getting back out there.

Tiger094   [Jul 25, 2012]
Strength:

Comfortable, well built, light but stiff frame, corners well for a comfort specd bike.

steer tube long, head tube could have been higher for a better look and less spacers. Can only use a Kestrel seat tube. Seat is hard

Wow is all I can say. This bike came with a real 105 group not the mix and match one other manufactures are selling. The quality is high, not only in the component selection but the frame looks and feels quality. I wanted a more relaxed ride than my Cannondale offered and rode a synapse but didnt feel like I was in a more relaxed position. I tried a few bikes and talked to people and almost thought a used Trek was all I could get, a new one was out of the question do to overly priced Treks. I found this bike in my search and checked the geometry and called a few dealers about the ride. There werent many reviews online so I was naturally hesitant. I took the plunge and am glad I did. The bike arrived professionally packed and partially assembled. I finshed the assembly and changed the seat and stem right away. The seat was very hard and uncomfortable. Shouldnt a comfort bike have a comfort saddle? The stem is 110 and was a little too long for me. Luckily I had a 75mm one in my parts bin and that finished the intial buid. I have never owned a compact and am adjusting to the new setup. After a few rides I can honestly say the bike is a big upgrade in comfort compared to my Cannondale and other bikes I had ridden. Even with the relaxed riding position the RT1000 corners nicely with the front end feeling planted. Though not as much of a carver as the standard fit bikes, the RT 1000 doesnt give up much and makes up for a surpasses others in overall ride. This is my first full carbon bike and I would say it feels very stiff, though the bumps seem to be absorbed with no jolts to the rider. The Kestrel rolls nicely and Oval has done a good job on their wheels. After setting up the shifters, shifting is crisp and accurate. Kestrel shows up the competition big time here by using almost the full 105 group. Other manufactures are only using 105 shifters and derailleurs but charging more $$$. I have noticed that this bike likes to go and gets up to speed quick. Part of this must be due to the low weight of 16.8 lbs and the rest accredited to a well thought out frame design. The seat post is kind of weird to us mortals, its wedge shaped and has a funky 2 bolt adjustment system that had me wanting a little longer front screw. However the front screw appears to be a specialty item. After careful adjustment I was able to get the angle that was comfortable. I havent done more than a 20 mile ride yet but know I will be able to ride further without the discomfort normally associated with road bikes. Now to see if I can be happy with a compact.......vs a triple.

Timothy Coffey   Recreational Rider [Jun 12, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff, Stiff and more still. Upright "plush" geometry for longer riding. It does not detact from speed

Oval wheelset

am coming from a 08 Fuji Team (carbon) medium-large (56 inch? 105 group. I may not have fitted to the bike correctly because I had to reach for the handle bar hoods. But, the Fuji served me great and I was thinking of a new bike so that I could give the old one to my son. I looked into the idea of a "plush geometry", which seemed to fit the bill as I am older and not a regular rider. I checked out the bike at a regional bike expo in Philadelphia and spoke with the Kestrel reps. Sitting on the bike felt very good.Fuji is the same company as Kestrel, Advance Sports in Philadelphia. My Performance store in Montgomeryville, PA is my LBS. So, I ordered the bike from them especially because of the discounts and points. I ended up with a great deal at [$], plus double points.I need to get used to the ride. Even with a taller head tube, I noticed that the handling is very quick as the bike's wheelbase is shorter than the Fuji's. I sit more upright and comfortably. I look forward to longer rides which is why I got the Kestrel's geometry.Fit and finish are very good. Taiwanese manufactured frame. Nice internal cable routing. The store had to shorten up the rear brake cable so that it would not rub my left thigh. [...]I do not believe that you have to shop at the little store for the Treks, Specializeds, Scotts or Felts of this world. If you look close, the Kestrel's geometry is not far off its competitor's. Check it out I would recommend.