Kestrel RT 800 Road Bike

Kestrel RT 800 Road Bike

Kestrel RT 1000 105: Lightweight Comfort and SpeedThe 800K carbon frame ofThe RT 1000 is a race ready frameThat willTake any straight and corner like a pro. Its specd withShimanos high-performing best-bang-for-the-buck 105 component group making it affordable atThe sameTime. Whether its race day or your commute day,The RT 1000 105 is ready, willing, and definitely able.Frame 800 K carbon fiber 800 K carbon fiber with replaceable derailleur hanger rearTriangle Fork Kestrel Custom Carbon le

[Jan 11, 2012]
Sexy Grampa

Strength:

Comfortable yet fast
Aerodynamic
Well Made
Bicycle eye candy

Mavic equippe wheels are mediocre at best. At this price Craig's List them pronto.

I've now ridden this BEAUTIFUL bicycle for 2 1/2 years and believe it has to be one of the great bargains. Just the full DuraAce 7900 groupo is close to the purchase price. The bike is smooth, fast, very well made and aero enough (with Syntace aerobars) to do the 3-4 triathlons/year I compete in. You really have to get into the Cervelo S4 or S5 range to find a faster, more aero road bike and that costs $6000-8000.

[May 21, 2011]
Rick

Strength:

Fast, looks great in person
Light
Great Component Groupo
Great Price. The REd Group alone goes for over $2,000

Maybe the Askium Race Wheelset.

In Physics class, we learned the most aerodynamic shape is the tear-drop. Every tube on this bike that confronts the wind is tear-drop shaped - Head, Down, Seat-stays, Forks, Seat post. Actually, I bought this bike for my wife since I was so, so tired of waiting for her. Now, she is right on me without being winded and tells me to hurry up. On rolling flats we ride at 20-22 mph. This bike is also beautifully crafted compared to my Evoke SL. I totally wish I would have opted for this bike after seeing what a difference this has made.

Trek, Specialized

[May 04, 2011]
volosong

Strength:

excellent groupo
aggressive geometry
lightweight, (thereby "fast")

front wheel "death wobble" at higher speeds
Sella San Marco Ponza TT saddle, (will swap out soon for something else)

Purchased from BD, quick assembly then to LBS for adjustment and check torque. On the first short test ride, I thought, "Wow! This is one SWEET machine." Second ride, a 15.2 mile loop with one short but steep hill 1/3 the way in ... on the downhill side at 33mph, as verified on Garmin 500, violent front wheel wobble occurred. Thought I was going down. Investigation of cause still ongoing. Never happened before on any previous bike over 50 years of cycling.

No word from Kestrel, even though I have made repeated attempts to contact through BD. They won't give out Kestrel's e-mail address, and the Kestrel web site does not have phone or e-mail info. Just a web form, which generates errors asking you to fill in the blanks marked with an * ... even though I did so.

It's a great bike, if it works correctly, but just don't hope you need to contact Kestrel ... because they don't want you to. I'll keep this bike, and use it once I mitigate the wobble, but will never, ever, purchase another Kestrel in this lifetime; or the next.

Five stars for "value", which, without a doubt, it is. Three stars for "overall" because after-purchase customer service is non-existent.

2010 Trek Madone 4.5 with 105/Ultegra mix

[Feb 18, 2011]
asagers

Strength:

Aero frame is fast and responsive.
Love the SRAM Red Group set!
Value! I've yet to come across an "apples to apples" comparison with another bike for what I paid.

The Mavic Aksium wheels are a great training set, but not the lightest. Hope to upgrade to a carbon clincher soon.

I purchased the 2008 RT800 (Sram Red setup) from BikesDirect.com in Oct. 2009. This was my first bike and was just getting into cycling. Not shortly after getting it set up and the first couple of hundred miles under my belt, an annoying creak was coming from what I thought was the BB area. To make a long story a little shorter, two different LBSs going through the bike and then finally sending it back to Bikes Direct, and no one could figure out where the noise was coming from. Chris @ Bikes Direct was great to deal with and covered the shipping of my bike back to them. They sent the bike to Kestrel who turned around and sent me a new 2010 RT800 SL! It was nice dealing with two companies that gave great customer service and backed up their products! I'm extremely happy with the new bike and haven't had any problems since getting it. Its fast, responsive, and comfortable. I'm riding 100-150 miles per week and will doing my 3rd century ride on it next weekend. Can't wait!

[Jun 11, 2010]
rocrider

Strength:

Light weight, good looks and Dura Ace components

Initial annoyance with slipping seat post. Seems to hold with fiber grip paste.

This is a 2009 RT800 model. The RT800 is a great bike for riders who want a light bike with a fairly aggressive riding position. My average speed has improved about 2mph. in comparison to my 2005 Felt F80 aluminum frame bike. The full Dura Ace components,carbon frame/handlebars and Mavic Equippe wheels make this a good value. The frame is stiff and feels like I am getting more power to the wheels. The 172.5mm cranks on the 53cm. frame give me more power on those big hills. The bike has attracted compliments and questions from my fellow riders. We do not see many Kestrels around here.

Felt F80 aluminum frame

[Dec 17, 2009]
twobournes

Strength:

Price!!! Climbing prowess, and stability.

None really, but the race bike geometry puts the rider into a very aggressive position - took a few miles to get used to, but that's what you get with a race bike.

This is my first experience with a full carbon road bike and I am highly impressed. I'm beginning to see what all the fuss is about.

Trek Portland

[Oct 22, 2009]
jmartin225

Strength:

Cool frame looks, great component group, Stiff frame and BB gets the power to the wheel. Shifts like a dream.Great price

Aksium wheel set is a heavy (I see new wheels in my future!), The Ritchey Pro bar is also a bit heavy.Can't have it all, I guess!

Purchased online from BD. Had almost 20Kmiles on my Trek 5000, so wanted a ride with a more power transfer to the rear wheel, a little stiffer ride and a higher end component group. I saw the BD web offer of the RT800 with complete SRAM Red, and really good price,so I took a chance and purchased.
The bike arrived in the original Kestrel carton, well packaged. The crank, derailleurs, shifters and rear brakes and headset were already assembled on the frame. The derailleur cables were routed through the frame. I had to mount the front caliper, and install fork, handlebar and seat/seatpost. The complete set of SRAM documents were in the package, as well as frame specific Kestrel instruction set with torque specs for the seat clamp/post, brake and derailleur cable routing instructions and tips, and even two bottles of touch up paint for the frame finish (red and white)!There was an adapter to allow use of a standard 27.2 mm seatpost should you not wish to use the aero post. Assembly was easy, but I have a good selection of bicycle tooling, and a proper toque wrench is a must! Don't attempt this at home without proper tools.
I set everything up with the measurements from my Trek, as the seat and head tube angles weren't much different, and the results were close enough to start. No issues with derailleur setup: the SRAM group dialed right in. I did change the supplied OG1070 11-23 cassette (actually from the Force group, I think) with the PG1070 12-27 cassette I purchased separately.
First ride, I had problems with the aero seat post slipping. I didn't use any carbon grip compound. I torqued the clamp to the max recommended 45 in lbs, but still had problems. I called Kestrel, and their tech support said they had shipped some posts that did not meet their size specs, and that they had shipped Bikes Direct replaceement properly built posts and that I should contact them for a replacement. I emailed BD on a Friday, and had a response the following Monday... anew post was on the way. I got it a few days later, installed it, and absolutely no problems since! Good customer service!
I rode the bike in the Corpus Christi Conquer the Coast ride, and signed up for the 18 mile TT...wow, what a ride! Could not believe the difference from my Trek 5K... Power transfer to the rear wheel was just awesome. It felt like the effort needed to complete the TT at 25mph was half what it had felt like riding the Trek in training.

I thought it might have been just because it was a new bike, but when I rode the Goliad Missions Tour last weekend, I had similar results. Just seemed to fly! Great ride, the frame seemed to soak up the roughness of the chip seal on the farm roads, and even the ever-present head wind didn't seem to hold us back. And the hills...wow, I like hills anyway, but the 800 just eats them up. The SRAM shifting in or out of the saddle while climbing was flawless.
It probably shows...I really like the 800. And I was pleasnatly surprised that BD had such good support...some of the online reviews were less than complimentary. I guess it is what you make of it. If you have the tools and skills, or a goog LBS to set up the bike, the BD deal on the 800 is a good one.

Trek 5000

[May 01, 2009]
Cru Jones

Strength:

This complete bike price would be difficult to match anywhere else (especially with no tax and free shipping). It has to be the best bang for the buck available for a serious road race machine right now. The frame is super sweet looking with aero design everywhere (internal cables, aero seatpost, curved seat tube, etc. Admittedly, this probably won't help anyone on group rides and climbs, but it is a pretty thing to look at! The fit and finish is excellent. It has a very nice aluminum insert for the seat tube that allows you to use a regular ol' 27.2 seatpost instead of the proprietary aero one.

Mine required A LOT of assembly and adjustment, and there were no instructions or torque specs. I enjoyed it, but I recommend going to a LBS if you do not have the right tools or if you haven't assembled/adjusted many bikes. I needed to route cables for brakes, adjust brakes and pads, adjust rear derailleur, adjust headset, install handlebars and stem. Also, the seatpost clamp is an awesome design, but normal factory tolerances on the tube and aero seatpost makes mine pretty loose feeling and requires more torque than I'd like to keep the seatpost from moving.

I bought the complete bike online, and was pleasantly surprised several times. It is a 2008 model. I haven't put any miles on it so I'll just comment on the specs. The saddle, front derailleur, and crankset were all upgraded over the listed specs. The saddle was a Selle Italia Flite Ti316 (titanium) tubular rail which was a sweet surprise because I'll use this one instead of taking it off and replacing it with my own Flite. The fd was a Dura-Ace instead of Ultegra as spec'd. The crank is a TruVativ NOIR instead of the Rouleur. I don't know if the better parts spec is accross the board or if I just got lucky.