Kestrel Talon Road Bike

Kestrel Talon Road Bike

Kestrel Talon 105 Road Bike: Aerodynamic and Efficient Out on the road, the enemy of speed is aerodynamic drag. Whether you are drilling it on a lone country road or going cross eyed in a paceline, you will feel the benefit of Kestrel's a...

[Dec 23, 2012]
Will Alston

Strength:

Comfortable in the saddle, descends like a it's namesake, stiff when it needs to be. On the flats speed is just a stroke away. People love the black and red color scheme.

Sizing leaves something to be desired. Had to change the stem to get comfortable in the drops.

Came with Shimano 105 grouppo, but recently upgraded to Sram Red. What a drop in weight. I went from 18.75 lbs to around 15.75 lbs. When the road is flat this is my bike of choice. On descends, people are surprised when I blow past them about 10mph. On the flats, in a group, I am usually about one or two gears lower. Who should buy this: People that to stand out when they pull to the line. You will received second looks and compliments. People are part of the herd should avoid this bike because youi will not blend in with the pack.

Trek 120, Opera Il Carnova

[Nov 23, 2012]
bike hog

Strength:

Very polished, rides true. Came in just under 20 lbs including pedals with the 105 groupset. For the 2013 model, Oval 327 wheels are much improved over Oval 524's from prior year. Smooth shifting, good looking. 2013 color is white on black. Over 250 miles, no issues. My review is for the road version. 2013 version has the blended carbon of 700K & 800K. Previous year version was 700k carbon only.

Upgraded the brake calipers to the 105's. No other upgrades require, will bring in higher end componentry over time.

Great entry level full carbon bike at very modest entry level MSRP of $1449. Discounts are available , especially if you order early. It's hard for me to imagine a better value for the money currently available. Note : Ths for the 2013 version, drop down did not permit me to select 2013. Cyclefitters includes a professional fit in their purchase price.

[May 23, 2012]
Grok

Strength:

1. Straight-line aerodynamics. Yes, this bike is very fast on the flats and gentle rollers.
2. Cornering. Not a crit bike for sure, but carving down a mountain pass at 55mph it is steady & will go where you point it--thankfully!
3. Solid "feeling" bike. Inspires confidence.
4. Steady handling. Likes to go straight, so feel free to sit up and say, "look ma, no hands."
5. Dressed up right, a very sexy bike.
6. Neither strength nor weakness, it has pretty average power-transfer. Depends on what you're comparing it too.

1. Durability. The Talon on made it 3500 miles & 100,000 feet of climbing. The first 2000 miles were great. The next 1500 were Hell. I now know that micro-cracks were beginning to form inside the seat tube, allowing the seat post to slip down. The longer I rode it, the more cracks, the worse the slippage became. And yes, I actually use a torque wrench.
2. Advanced Sports now owns Kestrel. The lifetime frame warranty is now a huge pain. It took 4 warranties & over a year before finally getting them to replace the frame. They sent me a new binder bolt--useless. They sent me washers to space out the binder bolt, thinking I wasn't getting enough torque. Useless. Now I know that micro-cracking is a known issue to them...they just hope that the warranty process becomes so frustrating that you just buy another bike--maybe a Fuji (another one of their brands.) Customer service is very poor and, at least in my town (of 1,000,000 people), no one carries Kestrel anymore. That should tell you something...when no one in a city this big and this cyclist friendly, with well over 2 dozen shops, will carry Kestrel, things have gotten pretty bad. Will Kestrel even be around in 10 years?
3. The bike is a bit heavy, even for an aero bike. But then again, a pound shouldn't really matter if the bike is used as it is meant to be used--to slice through the wind (not to climb, not to constantly re-accelerate).
4. Great descender, not such a great climber, but again, that's not it's purpose.

"Reviews" of bikes that you've just bought are not reviews, they are initial impressions, and as such are useless to the consumer looking for objective information in order to make a wise choice. Just sharing how great your NEW bike is or feels doesn't help others, which is the purpose of a review. In fact, the word review implies that you're looking back on something you've had for a while. For long enough to fairly judge the product impartially.

My review is of the 06 Kestrel Talon, built as a road bike with DA7800 & various wheelsets, depending on the event. I've road raced, climbed plenty of mountains with it, done numerous centuries, and two 200k brevets on this bike. I have several bikes, however, so the miles are spread out over time.

From other 'reviews' I've read, let me say this: it all depends on where you're coming from. From any aluminum bike, the Talon will feel smooth as though it just eats up the bumps. From a higher-end frame, however, the Talon is extremely harsh. Same thing with power transfer. Same with weight. Though heavy by today's standards, it's not actually 'heavy' and will feel feather light compared to most AL bikes. But again, it will feel heavy if you've ridden--I mean many miles--on a higher end carbon bike. So when you test ride bikes, keep in mind what you're comparing the bike to, and what you SHOULD be comparing the bike to. You should compare the bike to what you want to do with it, not to your old ride.

That said, the conversation on geometry is pretty cut & dry. No, this bike is NOT made for long days in the saddle. Can you do it? Yes. I've done it many times. But if your goals include longer rides (like centuries and brevets of 2,3,600k, etc), then this is NOT the bike for you. It's also too heavy to be a truly competitive road racer, nor does it handle or accelerate quickly enough for crits. If you like TTs, triathlons, longer road races where the pack opens up, the course is relatively flat, and sprinting is nill, then this IS a bike that would work. It's all in the geometry. A 10-11cm head tube = shorter rides with a stronger core. A taller head tube, even a couple centimeters, allows for a more comfortable position on the bike = longer rides. Even a lot of pro teams are going to slightly 'relaxed' geometries. Research is showing what common sense should have told us, that comfort allows for longer durations of power output. The most aero position (i.e. short head tube) increases fatigue, reducing duration of power maintenance. In English, the longer you stay scrunched up, the short the distance you can cover, despite being more aero. So ride the Talon happily on your shorter rides. Race it if you want to. For the money, if they've fixed the seat tube problem, it is a good value. But don't expect to finish a 110 mile road race or even ride and NOT be crying for your chiropractor or massage therapist.

But whoever said that this bike was being considered for RAAM is beyond hopeless. Did he mean the RT1000 with a 16cm headtube (as opposed to a 10-11cm Talon). Then yes. That bike was designed to be comfortable and ridden for hundreds of miles at a time. I've heard the RT1000 was ridden by team 4mil in the 2011 RAAM, tho I'm not sure. But people don't ride the Talon long distances unless they have too (say, riding Ironman on a shoestring budget). Or unless they have something masochistic to prove--like me--as in, I know it's uncomfortable but I can still do it!

In the next few weeks I'll be getting a new Talon frame (free warranty after trying for over a year), probably a 2011 model if I judge the new company correctly. Hopefully the durability will have improved, but it will be quite some time before I'll be able to speak to that. In the mean time, I'll happily ride my heavy steel Surly or my flyweight comfy SuperSix. The Talon will take it's place as a backup bike, or one to use occasionally just to mix things up.

I hope this review is more useful than the initial impressions given by new owners. And in case you're wondering, yes, I used to sell bikes (including Kestrels, back when they were actually Kestrel), so I have a lot to say on the matter. Now I coach endurance riders, so, I have even more to say about the importance of FIT and of buying a bike that meets your needs/ambitions rather than ego or simply because it's so much better than your last bike.

Keep the rubber side down!

Cheers,

Grok.

Similar? I've put thousands of miles on: Schwinn Paramount, C'dale CAAD5, Surly Cross-Check, Fuji Cross, C'dale SuperSix. I've reviewed/test ridden 50+ miles: C'dale Synapse, SuperSix Evo, Fuji SST3, Specialized Roubaix, Tarmac.

[Nov 16, 2009]
Travis

Bought the 2008 model as a clearance model at TriSports.com. I took the bike in for a tune up and they found a chip in the rear seat post where the seat rests against the frame. After attempting to repair the bike with advice from Kestrel, the bike was replaced. Other than this possible design defect I love the bike. It is responsive, light, and fast. I used it in my first sprint tri a couple of months ago and it performed great.

[Aug 05, 2009]
tmorgan21

Strength:

looks
stiffness
smooth ride
responsiveness

haven't found any yet

I had looked for weeks for a solid, name brand carbon bike and was mostly frustrated because most were out of my price range. I knew about Kestrel and was directed by a friend to bikesdirect.com. I did some homework and decided on the 2008 Talon. What a great decision! I have only had the bike for approx. a month but I couldn't be happier. The bike is stiff and smooth and I have described the ride to people as "riding on buttered air." I did upgrade the wheels to the Rol Volant's, which are amazing and made the bike that much better. I am 6'4" and 210 lbs. and this bike handles very well up and down hills and flies on the flats. And on top of this I get a lot of compliments on how good the bike looks.

[Feb 10, 2009]
Tyler

Strength:

Solid, light, and tough. And adicitive.

A little noisy, the carbon frame seems to amplify road noise, though it is kinda addictive

Amazing, would best describe this bike. At first i was a little tenetive with riding this bike, coming from an aluminium bike to a full carbon bike i thought my first ride would be my last. Fortuantly i was wrong. This bike is BOMBPROOF, unexpected potholes, railroad crossings, chipseal roads, and i am no 130lbs pip squeak, but a 190+lbs clydesdale. The bike just eats up them all and keeps on ticking. For the first 200 or so miles i felt like i was always riding on a flat the bike is so smooth. But it is no sloutch stiffness wise. I have this bike built up to full Dura Ace spec so it is rock solid. It is solid earth beneath my feet. It is just sexy

[Feb 04, 2009]
Wheels08

Strength:

I went out and looked for a bike the last month and went to around 10 to 12 bike shops. I tried out about 25 bikes Treck, Cannondale, Giant, I could keep going but that would be all I would write, well I chose the Kestrel Talon with Dura Ace components can’t bet that. Well I went to pick up my bike and saw that they put out new look bikes and new bianci bikes some models where a lot more some not so much more as I walked in I said to the sales guy why did you do this to me now what is the one I am buying the one I should get he said yes but that I could try the look and the bianci well I was just their to buy the kestrel on my lunch but had to call work and tell them that I was going to be late getting back and told the sales guys lets go let me ride. So I rode the bianci I think 935 and the look and a less expensive bianci that was also a 935 and two hours later I choice the one I was going to buy in the first place the kestrel talon. And so far I do not regret it one bit the wheels are the best the dura ace components are a big jump from the look or the bianci and there are hills by where I rode and I am not sure if it was the components that made a difference or it was the bike but boy it was so easier to ride up the hills on the kestrel and as I went to other bike shops saying that the kestrel was on the top of my list most not all said that the kestrel is just a time trial bike not a real road bike and that it was not going to work for my type of riding and they where wrong oh how wrong I have ridden now a century and short rides and I still have some energy after the century not like before. So before you go out and spend all of your money give the Kestrel Talon a ride and see how it works for you. My you have the best ride of your life and the breeze always be at your back

None yet but the seat the came with the bike could be and will be changed.

Kestrel Talon

[Dec 19, 2008]
quimmy1

Strength:

first company to make carbon bikes 20 years ago and bontique brand.

sold company to Fuji, but I had this frame thing happen in the middle of company changing over, so it took about 4 months to get my replacement frame. I not sure what the warranty policy is now but I would hope that Fuji honors Kestrel's previous policy.

I love this frame....It's stiff, responsive, snappy, and the geometry is
aero and comfortable. You have to try the different sizes the frame comes in to make it work for you. My first frame was a 55cm (I usually ride 54cm. but Kestrel ran these in the 51,53,55 and so on. 55 was a bit of a stretch but it was livable,then I found a hairline crack where the bottom shifter cable comes out and sent it back to Kestrel,(lifetime warranty or trade in program) well they replaced the frame and upgraded me from a 06 to a 07 which had a way better paint scheme. This time I decided to go with a 52cm and wow...I found one of the best bike i ever owned. the upgrades i done were the Mavic es wheelset, saddle and FSA carbon bars. My bike haddle so much better at decents and climbs like a mountain goat, on the straits it response very quickly that it like kicking it a turbo.

[Nov 17, 2008]
Spav

Strength:

Great bike at the price, solid construction, great looks, great ride.

None so far.

I have had my bike for more than two years now and have riden it for several thousands of miles. Over that time I have come to really love this bike. In all the time I have had it, I haven't had any problems. The ride is smooth, it handles great, is very stable,(even in the aero position) and this bike is strong. Unfortunately for my bike,I am a big guy, (250 lbs.) and after all the miles and all the rough roads I have never had problems with my Talon. I can honestly say, I would recommend this bike to anyone. I am a very happy customer.

Scott S20

[Oct 17, 2008]
harleyj700

Strength:

Great bike. Stable and Nimble. Road the STP 100+ miles per day and you could get on a roll and crank that bike all day. All you hear is a hum. No chain rattle or anything. Strong bike.

Best bike I have ever owned

Similarly priced Treks, Cannondales, Specialized