Kona Zing Deluxe Road Bike

Frame tubing: Dedacciai EM2 Hydroform Aluminum/Carbon Stays
Fork: Dedacciai Black Force 4
Color: Red & Black

MJKjarr   Road Racer [Aug 03, 2007]
Strength:

smooth ride, nice all carbon fork and carbon rear triangle

nice but heavy wheels and dodgy

I bought this during a clearance sale and it was a bargain at $1330NZD, but jeez this is almost a tank at 20 pounds. I thought 20 pound bikes went out with columbus slx frames in the early 90's but that's obviously not always the case. For a bike which was retailing a year ago at around $3795NZD I would have expected something a bit lighter, but you can put that down to the sturdy Mavic Aksium Wheels and the dodgy FSA components I guess. It's a good ride however and the frame construction/finish quality is outstanding. The Kona Zing Deluxe's are pretty well specced bikes and they've more recently upgraded the frame to all carbon. I bought this for an everyday training bike and it does the job admirably, but if I was going to race it, I'd recommend swapping wheels and ditching the FSA components which would shave 2-3 pounds easily ... If you find one of these on sale I'd say definitely consider it. However, I don't know who distributes Kona outside of New Zealand, but Kona need to finetune this and watch who is allowed to assemble their bikes if they want to address the roadie scene effectively. Mine was apallingly put together by The Bike Barn in Auckland and I've subsequently had to reassemble basically the entire bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek, Raleigh, Guerciotti and Rossin's with durace/ultegra combos
OVERALL
mythopoesisme   Road Racer [Sep 08, 2006]

Kona makes a welcome entry into the world of road bikes with their Zing line. I recently purchased the Zing Deluxe after having ridden a Bianchi Campione outfitted with a Campy Veloce drivetrain for nearly a decade, and the more upright, compact geometry of the Kona is comfort revelation to me! This is truly an all day bike, and the FSA cockpit, 105 gruppo, and Mavic wheelset all combine to make this bike insanely comfortable, reliable, and stable. As an older (50) CAT 3 racer, it was time for me to sit more upright and take some pressure off my hands, wrists, and shoulders, but I didn't want to sacrifice speed and the Kona Zing Deluxe met my expectations admirably. The carbon fibre seat and chain stays along with the carbon fork and steerer tube soak up the road vibrations and bumps with ease, while the Shimano 105 groupset is virtually problem free. The only criticism I can offer is that at 20lbs. the Zing Deluxe is a bit portly and steep climbs are not entirely effortless as a result. But the bike loves to move in a straight line and is a no-brainer, and therefore very relaxing on the road, but a little sluggish in the handling department compared to my old Reparto Corso Bianchi. All in all though, I am ecstatic about this bike and love every ride I take on it. I compared it very carefully to the OCR composite 2, and while the Giant had a clearly superior all carbon frame, it just didn't fit me as well as the Kona. And if I feel better and more comfortable on the bike, I ride faster and longer.