Kona Zing Road Bike

Headset: FSA Orbit C8 Integrated
Crankarms: FSA Gossamer
Color: Blue & Black

Larry   Commuter [Sep 19, 2013]
Strength:

Nice gear for price
Lightweight yet tough as nails
Fast, handles well
Shreds gnar

None. You won't find a better bike in this price range. I bought mine brand spankin' for $1000.

Kona isn't known for road bikes. So what! This bike comes with better gear than Specialized or any other name brand in the price range. And it flies especially for long rides. Zing!

Note: I have the 2009 version.

rjeffa2001   Recreational Rider [Jun 15, 2010]
Strength:

Suprisingly smooth for aluminum.
Easy to ride out of the saddle.
Nimble in tight turns.
Comfortable geometry.
Stable at high speeds.
Awesome ride for the money.

Components are noisy but it is an entry level bike.
Only comes in Compact double with 9 speed cassette (18 speed).
Brakes are weak at high speeds.

It seems to me that the world of bicycling is tradition driven. People buy a lot of things because they are "supposed to." The shop that sells Specialized and Giant actually said that Kona isn't a real road bike. However, it fits (me) and rides more stable than any of their bikes in this price range. It also rides smoother than their bikes. Don't buy into the hype. Hype won't make the pain and numbness go away on a long ride. If you want comfort for a good price, look at the Zing.

Similar Products Used: Diamondback podium 3.
Trek
Nate   Recreational Rider [Aug 26, 2009]
Strength:

Wieght, component package, carbon fork, very smooth ride.

The seat is a little hard.

Great bike. I've put about 500 miles on the 2008 model and love it. I never even considered looking at Kona for a road bike, but my local shop carried the Zing. You can't find a better deal in this price range. This is a very solid ride for the money.

Similar Products Used: 1980s Raleigh 10-speed
jay   Road Racer [Jul 24, 2008]
Strength:

component group, carbon fork

the Selle seat that came with my bike is as hard as a rock

sweet ride and about a grand less than other companies....trek and specialized. the mix of 105 and ultegra is smooth and fast. the carbon fork is great. a great bang for your buck if your getting into cycle for the first time or again.

Robm   Recreational Rider [Jun 01, 2008]
Strength:

Carbon forks- Shimano Drivetrain - Aluminum Frame

Not alot of people know the Kona name for Street bikes.

Bought as a left over.. Great bike and handles as good if not better than the new Trek 5.0 Pilot (I tried them both). The price is great and the components are the the same as most bikes that are twice the price. The weight is about 2 or 3lbs more than a high end carbon fiber frame bike. Does it matter for and Recreational Rider?

Similar Products Used: I also own a 2007Kona Dew deluxe and a 2004 Jamis Coda Supreme
Martin   Commuter [Mar 09, 2008]
Strength:

Aksium Wheels, 105 (Ultegra RD) and otherwise decent componentry for the price.

maybe weight, but its still lighter than my old roadie.

Review actually on a 2008 model. Great bike, one of the best value for the $$$.

Similar Products Used: Norco Blast.
mike   Recreational Rider [Nov 02, 2007]
Strength:

Very ligh and a very nice paint job. Nice quality components.

none yet

Haven't rode it much,but from what i can tell this is an awesome bike! It comes with a great wheelset and is very light in my opinion. With the saddle and pedals on,mine only weighs in at 20lbs. This is my first road bike and it is taking some getting used to,but i like it so far.

Bruno Gagnon   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2007]
Strength:

The Mavik wheels, Shimano 105 group even if it's not 10 speeds (the 2007 has 105-10 speeds) Rigidity of the frame when you push it.

Hard Seat (aren't they all ;) ), No carbon seat post.

I bought this ride in august 2006 but wanted to ride it for a while before posting a review. I was told by the other company sales person (trek, giant, Cannondale, etc) that Kona was specialized in mountain bike and that they had no experience in road bikes and all. The difference was made when I really tried the bikes. I tested a Trek 1200 and 1500, a Giant ORC2 and a Cannondale in the same range. I could not have a bike with Shimano 105 group in the same Ball park price. All rides except the Kona were noisy when pushed. The price is in Canadian $

Similar Products Used: This is my first road bike
Bruno Gagnon   Recreational Rider [Mar 13, 2007]
Strength:

The Mavik wheels, 105 group even if it's not the 10 speed (the zing 2007 has the 10 speed 10 dual front) Rigidity of the frame when you push it.

hard Seat (aren't they all ;) ), No carbon seat post.

I bought this ride in august 2006 but wanted to ride it for a while before posting a review. I was told by all the other company sales person (trek, giant, Cannondale, etc) that Kona was specialised in montain bike and that they had no experience in road bikes and all. The difference was made when I really tried the bikes. I tested a Trek 1200 and 1500, a Giant ORC2 and a Cannondale in the same range. I could not have a bike with 105 group in the same target price. and all ride exept the Kona were noisy. Cracky when pushed. The price is in Canadian $

Similar Products Used: This is my first road bike