Kuota Kebel / DA+ Road Bike

Kebel / DA+

This is another performance tuned generation of frames from Kuota that maintains light weight (1.1 kg 12K Carbon weave) high overall stiffness and good durability well enough for the EFBE labs in Germany (efbe.de) to rate the frame, new monocoque fork and seat post as a “TOP PERFORMANCE”. This may be the best performance for the dollar Kuota have ever produced as it also benefits from differential lamination, 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 head tube and fork, Aero profile seat tube and post (available in 0 and 22mm set back) increase the performance value further as a dual fit bike for a dabble in TT or Tri.

Luis D   [Sep 13, 2012]
Strength:

I walked into the local bike shop considering Pinarello and Willier. Whilst there I was shown the kuota . This shop handles all the big Italian names and for one of the owners, the kuota kom was his favotite. So I took a closer look and had a look at reviews on th web.I have had the bike 8 months. looks wise I can honestly say that I don't envy anything else. Mates have dogmas etc but I don't sit at the coffee shop with any degree of envy. The Kebel is very cool if you understand engineering. Ride wise I love every moment. it reminds me of the Alfa Romeo I had for 10 years. Put simply every rise is a pleasure. This is my third road bike and for the first time I am not considering an upgrade is necessary. As for speed, I estimate I am about 1.5kphr better on average. Great power transfer.

I upgraded to SRAM force, I cant work out if I like or hate these gears. Sometimes wonderful, occasionally "what tha?"

great bike, buy it

PPR KUT   Road Racer [May 18, 2010]
Strength:

Light, good looks, great geometry, and not everyone has it.

availability of parts, such as the seat tube, and seat adjustments are a bit more difficult

I bought my Kuota Kebel when I felt the need to upgrade from my Cannondale R600, which I was fond of. I bought my Kebel from a cyclist after I had done research on other bikes such as Cervelo, Felt, and other big names. Those which I couldn't test ride, I searched for reviews and did my own comparisons based on spec's. Based on this I chose the Kuota, and for the last 2 years I have taken it with me to the mountains in Colorado, the flats of Las Vegas, the hills around North Carolina, and of course on every ride where I live in Savannah. On every ride it has been pure enjoyment. The only thing that is wrong with it at the present time is a cracked handlebar,and is probably due to handling during shipping. This bike has done everything right. It is light, responsive, and came with SRAM Red. For the price I couldn't beat it at the time. The only draw back is the seat tube, is unique to the bike, and its harder to adjust the seat angle than on conventional seat tubes.

Similar Products Used: Cervelo R2.5 & 3, Cannondale six13, Cannondale R600
kkebel   Road Racer [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Good design and looking, stiffness, weight, aero look and feel, speed, frame geometry, all I need is here.

none so far

This was my first real road bike, with real road geometry. Before I decided to buy Kuota Kebel, I analyzed what Trek, Focus, Cannondale and others have to offer. Before this bike, I had (and have it now) C'dale Warrior, a hybrid bike. Kebel is just something much better. Design is beautiful and together with good price, it was winning combination. I am very happy with this bike. I ride around 5.000 km per year. I had two falls and bike frame is still fine and without scratch. One with 40 km/h (side fall), and one with 20 km/h (a car hit) - only bike damage - bended rear dropout holder both times, luck.

Similar Products Used: C'dale Road Warrior
Stephanie down under   Triathlete [Jul 23, 2009]
Strength:

Smaller sizes that work for the ladies, good looks, smooth ride, not too expensive

Wide tubes seem less aero than they could be

I was the proud purchaser of an Orbea carbon/alloy combo with Campagnolo Chorus groupset at a pretty decent price. But when I went to have the bike set up to fit me, it turned out the frame, specifically the length of the top tube, was too big (I'm 5'3"). I faced the painful choice of how much to spend on a new frame, but in the end decided it was worth spending a bit more to have a frame worthy of the good components I already had.

As someone who has only recently begun to take riding seriously. Prior to this, I thought my Giant CRX4 that I use for commuting was a big step up from the Kmart bikes I grew up riding.

So it probably won't come as a surprise that I love love love this bike. It is my baby. Despite the 'stiffness' described in many of the posts, it is a very smooth ride. And once I got used to the chunkier size of the tubes, I've grown to think she's quite a handsome ride.

oompa loompa   Recreational Rider [May 13, 2009]
Strength:

good looks, light

to soft

bought this frame set off the back of owning a kuota k factor which was a great frame. again this is a good looking bike over sized tubes etc built the frame up with excitment for the first run,what a dissappointment what some people would say is silky smooth comfort i would say like sitting on an elastic band, tope and seat post tube flex is excessive to say the least. stamp on the pedals out of the seat and it goes with no lateral flex from the bottom end great. i personally cant ride a bike for 60 miles standing up though, cornering is sharp and responsive, maybe even a little to sharp which can cause a little twitch on fast snaking corners

Similar Products Used: k factor, tarmac,giant tcr
tomjordan   Road Racer [Mar 22, 2009]
Strength:

smooth ride and instinctive handling, race-worthy power for climbing and sprints

no kevlar wrap or race proven reliability

I’m a former hardcore road racer (6’3” and 190lb) and decided to buy a new carbon frameset. I road tested most of the bikes on my short-list (Cervelo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Madone, Kuota Kebel) but not all (Look 595, Kuota Kredo). Going into the process, I expected to buy the R3. I learned a lot on these rides however and my favorite overall turned out to the Kebel, which I bought. Here’s what I learned:

- Power. In larger frame sizes, the R3 has the most lateral stiffness and snap for climbing and sprints, but by a smaller margin than I expected. The others are close behind. All of them have more than enough power for decisive attacks and break-away speed.

- Handling. The Kebel has the best balance and most intuitive feel. In fast descents its tracking and stability are just superb, and at normal speeds it turns instantly but with complete composure. After the Kebel, the R3 was my next favorite but required more attention at low to normal road speeds. The Tarmac has some front end quirks at speed and overall the Madone feels more like a crit bike, perhaps on account of its wheelbase and fork offset which are both the lowest of the group. On the Kebel, the stable and predictable feel may have to do with its arc reinforced head tube joins, longer fork rake, and rider setback (shortest chainstays and most relaxed seat tube angle).

- Ride. The R3 and Kebel have the most lively ride, but the R3 feels more harsh than the others. The Kebel’s ride is so smooth and silky that I got the wrong first impression. At first I thought that nothing this smooth could never have enough snap, and wondered why the European press rates its power so highly. It’s only when you finish some steep climbs and hard sprints and then go repeat them on the R3 that you realize just how much power the Kebel really has, but in a deceptively sleek and non-jarring way. I’ve found the same thing in some other sports, that a smooth feel can mask the perceived power because everything feels more composed and less “exciting”. The Kebel’s surprising ride quality may have to do with its top and down tube walls which are thinned out more than usual.

- Build. In the mountains I need to totally trust the build to stay on form and relaxed in long fast descents. For me the Kebel initially raised some questions because of its thin walled tubes, its lack of a kevlar wrap, and the fact that it’s not race proven like the other bikes in this group. I finally concluded that there were four things here to keep in mind: that Kuota got its start producing mission critical high end forks (whereas Cervelo still outsources theirs), that their design decisions rely heavily on state of the art computer modeling data for stress analysis, that the frame was top rated by an independent stress test lab in Germany, and that their production process is ISO 9002 certified which requires exceptional product consistency and quality control. As far as “race proven”, the Kebel remains an unknown. That said, there have been enough Tarmac and Cervelo frame failures on the race circuit that their reliability data are not especially reassuring.

Overall the Kebel was the standout for me as it had the best combination of qualities. It excels at its ride and handling, and its power is among the best but with a sleek feel and deceptively less drama.

Similar Products Used: Cervelo R3, Specialized Tarmac, Trek Madone
lsaugrin   Triathlete [Jan 14, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff but comfortable over long ride. Good cornering. Aero seatpost and rear end of the bike is stable. For all type of riders. Good ratio quality/price

not a fan of the seat post clamp. A piece of steel that does well its job but the shape is specific to Kuota and therefore impossible to use a common one. I lost one and it was quite a pain to get a new one.

Bike is great! Stiff enough to transfer your energy when pedaling but still comfortable and forgiveness. I rode it at many triathlon and especially at the Alp d;Huez triathlon (french Alps). Great climber whether you sit or stand on it. It will probably perform as well if you're a powerfull rider like a sprinter. Cornering is fast and stable. A pair of Mid profile rims (about 50mm) would be the bet upgrate i think, a higher profile would be too stiff and will inhibit the comfort of the ride.

Similar Products Used: had a Felt F25 triathlon bike before and a steel bike.
PineappleJam   Triathlete [Oct 25, 2008]

2008 Kebel Ultegra. First timer and LOVE the bike. Got the bike by FEDEX two days before my first duathlon. Bike shop got it back to me one day before the race. Had time to figure out how to work the clipless pedals and that's it. The bike portion of the race was only 16 miles, but once I got used to skinny tires and how the shifter worked, the bike took off. It was like the things was constantly pulling me to go. Road down more than a handful of folks. Never had a road bike before so nothing to compare it to, but sure felt nice to me. Plus, realized after that had no trouble controlling the ride even at some speed despite my inexperience.

Similar Products Used: none
Mark Mondello   Road Racer [Sep 03, 2008]
Strength:

Value, stiffness, weight, good looks, aero profile and shape.

Stiffness due to aero shaped seat post, Seat post does not give (flex).

Upgraded from a Kuota Kharma (had for 2 years) to the Kebel Ultegra. This bike is a little stiffer riding (harsh) than the Kharma, but is still pretty comfortable. The bike is stiff in all the right places, front end, bottom bracket. With this bike, one can easily have a good road bike and add clip-on bars to convert to a decent time trial bike. The frame is beautiful, perfect paint and finish. Great riding bike.

Similar Products Used: Kuota Kharma, Trek 5200 CF, Cannondale 1000, many steel bikes.
kcdoc   Recreational Rider [Jun 07, 2008]
Strength:

Lightweight; very rigid rear triangle, front end, and massive BB shell; great ride quality; very responsive/efficient; great looks

The tubing has a rounded hexagonal shaping to it, which looks cool but is probably not as aero as it could/should be. This bike would be through the roof with more aero shaping. Not a big fan of its seat post clamp.

I switched from a steel frame to this CF frameset 6 months ago and continue to be blown away. The ride quality is exceptionally smooth (better than my steel frame) with no "deadness" to it. It still transmits a good sensse of the road to me on all surfaces without being harsh. The bottom bracket, front end, and rear triangle are very solid. There is no lost energy on this one when sprinting or climbing - I have never had a previous bike actually surge forward when climbing, or have the front wheel lift off the ground before. It is crazy efficient. I have found it to be stable in fast descents and it holds its line very well in turns. Pretty much just goes exactly where you want it to quickly and efficiently, which is all we could ever ask of a bike.