Kuota Kom Road Bike

• Kuota Optimized Shape Management
  • Comfort Drive System
  • Kuota Monocoque Construction

Mike   Recreational Rider [Sep 27, 2013]
Strength:

Climbing, sprinting, acceleration, low weight, direct steering, smoothes out vibration.

Not many. Some question the aerodynamics but it wasn't built to be competition for a Venge or S5. It is unforgiving over bumps but it does dull the road buzz well so I don't care.

I've got the XL Kuota Kom Evo Team from 2012. It has a standard english bottom bracket. The frame was dead on 1100g and the uncut fork was 373g. My wife has one of these too. The XXS is 905g and the uncut fork (which is specific to the very small frame) was 356g.

I like it a lot. It turns your energy into forward motion in a way which brings a big smile. Climbs like a champ with no flex at the BB or head tube. The XL has an absolutely enormous head and down tube. Many people have commented about the perceived lack of aerodynamics but I doubt it makes much real world difference because the tubes, while large, are a fairly smooth shape. [If the latest wheels are anything to go by wider is not necessarily a bad thing :)]. It is a very stable descender too.

I paid $1750 for the frame fork and head set and put a used DA 7900 group set and DA C24 clinchers on with good quality alloy bars, stem and post. It is 7.1kg with my pedals, cages and computer so I couldn't be happier with the performance for $$$ ratio.

The last carbon bike I owned was a Scott Addict SL and was the best I'd owned until I got the KOM Evo. The Addict was a little lighter but the geometry, handling and ride quality of the KOM is much better IMHO.

No regrets on this purchase.

Katchable Rider   [Jan 17, 2013]
Strength:

Stiffness, Lightweight, Pro-Tour design, Handling, Value

Not 'Aero'

I bought my 2011-2012 KOM Evo just under a year ago. I really, really like it.

In Australia, the models are not made with the BB30 bottom bracket, but with a BSA one. The reason for which I was told by the importer was "Due to the unpopularity of BB30". Despite personally liking the BB30 set-up (I had a cannondale previously) it was not a big deal to not have it, so mine is fitted with Dura-Ace 7900 Groupset.

This bike is quite simply, amazing. The frame weight for my 56cm frame was around the 1kg mark (bear in mind that mine has a chunk of aluminium for a BB, not the full carbon bb30 shell), and fork is around 400g. The fork itself is a very sturdy design with thick arms and 1"to 1.5" tapered steerer crown. It does not yield under power, feeling planted when throwing the bike around in a sprint. Descending, I have gotten up to speeds of 80km/hr and the bike is poised when the bends come. It has good steering feedback (I am using Pro4 tyres on 48mm Carbon clinchers), which inspires alot of confidence.

Speaking of sprints, the one thing that was immediately noticable was how efficiently this bike turns your effort into motion, more so than my last bike (A Cannondale Supersix). Over that frame, I dont feel like I'm wasting energy to hold speed, and I loved the Cannondale frame too. The BB area with all of its somewhat gaudy stiffening in the down tube/seat tube junction, combined with chunky stays and big tube sections - it all just works. The bike doesnt feel like its 'soaking up' power, with little flex in the frame. Downside to this is that you will feel bumps. I put a carbon railed saddle on and it helps.

To me this bike, in a nutshell, is all about killing off flex and purely transmitting power - a racers friend. Useful for climbs. It's big stance belies its weight - my large size bike is just over 7kg with Dura-Ace paired with 1800g Carbon-Alloy clinchers. 6.8kg is easily possible.

It has a matte paint finish which is different but nice - it certainly gets looked at when parked outside of Cafe's!

No, its not very aero, but it is a very effective puncher everywhere else. If you are looking to spend big coin, take a look at the newer model, the KOM Air. Its mostly the same bike, but refined and lighter again, with thinner frame members and internalised cabling for better aero. It loses the BB stiffener as well.

Flying Pig   Road Racer [Jul 18, 2012]
Strength:

Precise and surefooted handling, super stiff but comfortable ride, robust engineering, value for money

This is not an "aero" machine but it handles like no other.

I've owned this since June 2011, set up with Campag Record 11 and Kuota's own K30 chainset for use solely as a race bike and the odd Gran Fondo in the mountains. I swap wheels in and out depending on the race circuit but generally run Campag Neutron Ultras or Eurus (FFWD F5's for crits).

Firstly, this bike is staggering value for money. I bought it for two reasons, acceleration and handling and it excels at both. Downhill, the massive headtube and frankly overbuilt straight fork with rectangular tubes mean it goes exactly where you point it with no drift or twitchiness. I expect most riders will find their limit long before the bike does. I am a quick descender weighing 85kgs and have regularly topped 90kph in thin mountain air. The KOM Evo is by far the best handling bike at speed I have ever ridden and the comparison includes Merckx, Willier, Seven, Pinarello, Scott and Orbea, none of which are exactly second rate.

The trade off for this pointability is a big fat headtube and fork which does add to the frontal area of the bike and makes it feel slower on a solo ride, even though the data says is marginal. However, if you are bunch racing or riding in the wheels this really isn't an issue but if you spend hours ploughing along on your own this probably isn't the machine for you, unless all of it is either uphill or down.

The KOM Evo is a pretty light bike and the BB is as equally as overbuilt as the fork. I can't flex it and I ride at a slow cadence. Pick up is instant and it climbs willingly for as long as your legs allow. Despite this it is also very comfortable; I've done a 165km Fondo and felt no more fatigued than had I done it on one of my Ti bikes.

Overall, a brilliant bike uphill and down and excellent for crits or general bunch racing and riding. I would give it 5/5 for performance but given the number of comments in the various reviews on this site about the aero characteristics of various machines, this is clearly an issue for some riders. As a result I've not given it a perfect 5 but in my eyes it's a hard package to breat.

Similar Products Used: Merckx EMX 5, Scott Addict, Pinarello Dogma, Seven Axiom, Willier Cento Uno, Litespeed Ultimate
Jean Tougas   Road Racer [Dec 12, 2011]
Strength:

stiff so give you the feeling of acceleration, strong in hill

crankset K03 is not as Shimano quality !

just amazing ! performe, stiff but comfortable let you feel the road and ride.When you gives power the answer is immediate !

Similar Products Used: Kuota Khan, Giant TCR
charlie18   Recreational Rider [Jul 05, 2011]
Strength:

light
stable
comfortable

no one knows how to pronounce the name

I have put 7500 miles on my Kuota KOM in a little over a year. It is hands downs the best handling and most comfortable bike I have ridden. And that is with a Selle Italia SLR saddle.A lot of the bike's positive characteristics I attribute to the appropriate fit and parts spec. Particularly noteworthy is the TTT Ergonova bar which is only perfect. This combo gives me confidence on descents I never had in the past. The bike is light, spins up fast, and allows me to climb hills on the big ring I never would have considered before. A lot has been said about the KOM being stiff and uncomfortable. I have a Colnago and a Pinarello. I have rented and Eddy Merxx and a Cervelo for protracted periods of time. Stiff, yes. Uncomfortable, not even. I have never had my hands or other body parts fall asleep on this bike. If you are looking for an affordable, pro-quality ride, this is your bike.

Similar Products Used: Colnago, Pinarello, EM, Cervelo, Specialized, AND Vitus
thebalkanchampion   Road Racer [Nov 12, 2010]
Strength:

everything that makes a bike GREAT

sensitive folks may hallucinate steady torture to the crotch due to inhumanly stiff ride. don't believe them.

i've got the all nude carbon 2009 model, not the 2007.
i got this bike because it is out of the crowd and unique. it's the deadly champion. the name is badass. it's the bike that you want to take in bed because it deserves a soft mattress instead of leaning all night against the wall. if you leave it in the cold and don't feel guilty, seriously reconsider your priorities. however, sometimes the partner on the other side of the mattress bans bikes in bed due to unique injuries sustained while resting: so the next best thing is to keep the bike in the bedroom (clean of course.)i hear waking regularly and taking a few peeks at it throughout the night is recommended by the doctor: improves night vision, heart health and power, and vo2 max.
so you may hear the ride is stiff, so stiff you have scrambled eggs by the time you dismount. sounds like someone who never rode the bike and exhagerated what some other whiner said. but i am young (early 20's) and i've ridden on some ball busting pave. maybe my definition of torture is different from yours. the point is,this bike is stiff (very stiff), but it is still comfortable enough to ride and want to ride all the time. i love the massive bottom bracket. the thing speaks power. seriously, every ounce of energy that flows through it is applied to the wheels. the bike rides straight and steady. front end can get a little bouncy if on rough road and riding without hands, but once on the bars, smooth as silk. any bike does that. descending at 50mph+ is a joy: just make sure the asphalt is clear of crap and wear a helmet. the bike responds instantly: it has high avoidance skills like a quality performance car.
i chose this bike over de rosa and specilized. i was coming of a lower model pinarello and wanted something different. pinarello is good but the better models are $$$$$$$$$$. the kom=top of the line Kuota for very reasonable prices. it's a no brainer. take advantage the brand isn't to well known in the US. that keeps prices down. so just because it's not too wellknown or ridden by the top guns doesn't mean inferior. all companies had to start somehow.
i truly enjoy me kom. the massive tubes are inspiring. the naked carbon just down right gorgeous. decked out in quality parts and top of the line components this bike opperates flawlessly.
i never test rode this bike before i rode it: just ordered the frame off line (no kuota dealer for hundreds of miles where i'm at) and built the bike up. but it's turned out above and beyond from what i expected. i researched it heavily, i recommend you do so, any bike. took me several months of figuring out and looking around before finalizing my choice. don't make rash decisons. think and dream about it. sleep on it. wait for times of year when prices drop in order to sweeten the deal.
this bike may not be for you or it very well can be. it you don't get the kom get a kuota at least. kuota's a no brainer too. all i can say after ranting this much is that the kuota kom is the badassest bike on the planet: it waits for the right rider to dominate. it has everything you need to win: now apply yourself.

Similar Products Used: pinarello (forgot the model)
eddy merckx corsa (great steal bike)
stamo   Road Racer [Jul 05, 2010]
Strength:

Semi compact slope-good. Massive downtube -good. External cable routing on a high end frame-bad.

Give us a integrated seatpost model, and internal routing, to make it a seriuos contender. Otherwise this bike is tuff. Fine touches similar to say a BMC Pro Machine arent as obvious. But still a good thing. The seat clamp is ugly, boring, and so old school. Change it to either a ISP system, or give us something a bit more 2010 please. Also, let me say, this bike is NOT ( I repeat NOT !!! ) aero in any way at all. It cuts the wind like a shipping container. This is not a Cervelo wind cutting frame wonderbike. So after 100's of kms in the wind, your aero competitor will have more energy than you, all cause of the frame. But if those few hundred kms have hills, mountains, downhills, corners, potholes, switch backs, and other stuff a billy goat would spew at, then this thing just might get you home before that aero bike does. Cause one thing it won't do is twist and crumble under strong legs. It directs power unrelentingly. It feels as stif and direct as an alloy cervelo soloist, only supremely more comfy. I truelly do love the KOM.

Bought a 2009 medium Agritubel KOM. Had it all of 4 weeks, and then one day saw a crack had developed on the bottom lower edge of downtube near BB area. About 35mm long zig-zaging with carbon weave. Definitely a crack. I weigh 100kg and am strong, but really this had to be a manufacture fault, cause I never had it long enough to inflict some/any serious hard core kms. Sent it back to dealer in USA. And after some months of to-and-fro arguing and promises, he finally sent me a new frame. No doubt dealer will take up warranty issue with kuota if he wants to get his money refunded. The new frame looks beautiful & resplendent in white/black /silver. In fact down tube on this 2010 frame looks a little thicker and stronger. Maybe some other warranty complaints??? from previous year models- could be that they decided to up the thickness of those aluminium-can thin down tubes. But really, I see these things riden by AG2R in every break away on the pro circuit. These guys hammer the KOM relentlessly. So They HAVE to be tough ! They rode the KOMs every year thru Pairs Roubaix - that is a wrecking field ! So really , I think my cracked frame was a oncer. Rare I would think. But gosh do those over sized down tubes look FULLY SICK ! My god the bike looks tough. If you want the stand-out bike at the coffee shop ( after a BMC SLC01 that is ) then this KOUTA KOM is the go. This thing looks like a pure thoroughbred RACE BIKE. It's infact a very basic and plain looking frame configuration. But the fact it is plain actually relays strong messages that ' we don't need trick shapes and curves, or gimmicks ' to make this the absolute race thoroughbred it is. Lurking under the plain cloths is a wolf in sheeps clothing.Make no mistake , this is built to climb, sprint, and lead-out for hundreds of kms. This is a workhorse, and will carry strong legs to the finish line. I'd say if you put almost any other bike ( except the beautiful BMC SLC01 ) next to this, they will look either boring to the extreme, or way over the top wannabee's. This frame is no-nonsense in its looks, but still looks TOUGH !!!! A good way to describe it is as if you were to see a ferrari painted matt black. It would never look the stunner it is, but you know that lurking under that drab paint job is a monster. The KOM is like that. So plain, yet you know somehow the monster lurks within. After all is said and done, I'm finishing by saying , that I'm a 100kg heffer, yet I'm riding a bike designed to be the King Of The Mountain. Built for guys almost half my weight, to propel up mountains. But You know what, this KUOTA KOM is made to get anyone up those mountains - even heffers like me !!!

cervelo-van   Recreational Rider [Jun 29, 2009]
Strength:

Fast, stable, light.

some noises from cables

This is the 2008 model. I also have a 2008 Cervelo RS. This bike is fast and stable. Though lighter than the Cervelo, it is more stable on speed downhill and in corners, especially for someone like me who is still skittish on both. Note: My Cervelo has a compact drivetrain while the Kuota has a standard, so there is a difference there. I still climb better with the Cervelo given the compact gearing, but I can see that the Kuota will also be great.