LeMond Bicycles Big Sky SL Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek C1
Front Der: Shimano 105 Triple
Crankset: Bontrager Race, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano 105
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 28c Bontrager Select

Clint B   Recreational Rider [Sep 23, 2015]
Strength:

Everything you have read in these reviews, totally true. I have owned this same bike for twelve years and have not found a better ride. Already mentioned, the bike is no longer produced. That's the only negative.

I ll let you know. So far this bike is perfect.

Lightweight, excellent geometry and gear ratios. Plus the triple 9 speed crankset will take you up hills! Good for off road or in city.

Dou Exley   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2013]
Strength:

Relatively light weight, strong, stiff spine, responsive, very comfortable on long rides, eats hills without any deflection of the spine/rear stays, shifts flawlessly with the Shimano 105 drivetrain and the suspension seat post helps to smooth out bumps in the road. This bike is a joy to ride

I really can't think of any. Cosmetically, the paint job is beautiful, the welds on the aluminum are perfect, and the carbon front fork is lightweight and rugged. The major weakness would be they are hard to find. If you can get your hands on one, grab it as quickly as possible.

This bike tracks cleanly on the flats and up and down hills. It's fast, has a heavy high range gearing and sufficient lower gears to get you up the bigger hills. The shimano 105 shifts cleanly every time. Like any bike with a nine cog rear sprocket, you have to manage your shifting to stay away from cross shifting off the front chainring as you will get chain rub on the front derailleur cage.

Lemond's geometry design has created a fantastic bike that you can ride for quick or long rides and be comfortable throughout the ride. I'm a taller rider (6'2") and have a 61cm and it fits perfectly. The Bontrager handlebars with the gel tape are extremely comfortable no matter your hand position on the bars. I've always read a lot about Lemond's bikes and almost bought one several years ago at our local bike shop. I kicked myself after I didn't get one and then, of course, Lemond stopped producing them. It's a thrill to now own one. I can't wait to get out every day and go for a ride. It's just that kind of bike.

Bounty Hunter   Recreational Rider [Nov 29, 2007]
Strength:

Lightweight, strong, great components for the money.

Unfortunately they don't make it anymore (as mentioned already).

This is my first roadbike. At first I was initially looking at some paved trail bikes (Trek FX series) and the salesman talked me into trying out a roadbike. I really like the upright position of this bike and I think I'll want to go to a fixed stem after more riding. This bike is light and fast. It was a brand new leftover and I got a great deal on it.

Similar Products Used: Trek FX series Fitness bikes, Hardtail Mt. Bikes.
KrAhl   Recreational Rider [Dec 21, 2006]
Strength:

28c tires, gel seat, suspension post, and a longer head tube make it a comfortable ride.

Lemond doesn't make it anymore!

I bought my Big Sky SL in August '04. It has been a great bike and I plan to ride it for many more years. Even though it's not the lightest road bike out there, its relaxed design and creature comforts makes it easier to ride longer distances. I've ridden several centuries with it. 3600 miles so far and the 105 equipment has held up well, as well as the Bontrager Select wheels.

DadMan1031   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2004]
Strength:

I defy you to find another bike for 1100 bucks that comes with 105 components AND all the little extra's that this one does.

Eh. My respect for Greg Lemond dimishes a little each time he starts publicly badmouthing Lance Armstrong.

Being a natural complainer - I've spent the last 6 months trying desperately to find something about this bike to be unhappy about. But I gotta tell ya... No luck yet. Light? It's weighs less than a bird-fart. Climb? Like a Tibetan Sherpa. Looks? The clear-cloated brushed aluminum and black decals generate whip-lash inducing head turns. Rims? The Bontrager Selects are truly a thing of beauty. Tires? Bontrager Hardcase 700x28 are a *truly* rare animal - a very thin tire that is virtually indistructable. I'm so happy to finally have a tire that makes me feel good whether I'm riding fast on a paved track - or trekking on crushed gravel. Man. Components? No... Shimano 105 isn't Dura-Ace - but it sure isn't anything to turn your nose up at either. Good luck finding another bike in this price range with 105 on it. Almost everything sub $1000 has the groddy Sora stuff on it. Period. And the extras... I mean come on. CRZ Seat. Alloy SUSPENSION seat post. Bontrager handlebars. STI shifters. Tektro Cross Breaks in ADDITION to the STI shifters. 6061 Aluminum. A freakin' CARBON FORK. Powercork on the handlebars. Dang dude... I'm not sure what else you could want in a bike in this price range. Let me close this with two words: Upgrade Worthy.

BikeKing24   Road Racer [Jul 15, 2004]
Strength:

This bike is sooooooooooooo perfect when it comes to riding, you just wouldn't believe it. The way the handlebars sit make the ride more comfortable. The seatpost is suspended so the ride won't be as bumpy as it is with other bikes. But Most importantly is the weight and how easy it is to climb any mountain... big or small.

This bike knows no such word.

I've been riding and racing bikes for 24 years now, and I thought that I had the perfect bike. I used to ride the Trek OCR1 and I thought that was a wonderful bike. Then I had a friend introduce me to the LeMond Big Sky SL. I was skeptical at first with the drop in components. But when I took this bike for a spin...WOW, it was like magic. It is a light-weight bike, but it climbs like a goat. Living right by the Sierra Nevada Mountain range, I thought I'd give it a real test and ride to Lake Tahoe. The only thing that was disappointing about that ride was that it didn't last long enough. I thought that I had the perfect bike in Trek, but now i know that I own the perfect bike in the LeMond Big Sky SL.

Similar Products Used: there is no other bike that can even compare.
Yehumikael   Commuter [Jul 09, 2004]
Strength:

Paint job and frame are unbeatable at this price. 105 components. Bontrager race lite tires.

Finally, there is a road bike that is comfortable for the "big" guys. The paint job on this bike is absolutely beautiful. It's relatively light, fast, and all 105 componentry. With wide drops, gel tape on the handlebars, I can ride all day and not feel it. Lemond did a great job with this bike.