LeMond Bicycles Nevada City Road Bike

Rear Der: Shimano Tiagra SS
Pedals: aluminum w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Select

kerksieck   Commuter [Jan 27, 2010]
Strength:

price, frame, fit, looks

wheels (cheap, machine-made but that can be said of nearly all stock bikes), saddle, handlebars (wrong size for stem, felt too wide), no enough room for full fenders.

I use this bike in all weather for just about everything a road bike can be used for: This bike is my car. I probably put about 100 miles a week on it.
Overall, I am very happy with it. The frame geometry is athletic but not twitchy; more comfortable than a pure racing bike but it still feels quick. Plus it looks great.
The components are entry level but they work well and I have had no problems. Besides, the difference between these and 105 is miniscule. To get any significant upgrade, you'd have to spend 5 times as much.
The main weakness is the wheels. I started breaking spokes after after about two years. Even after having them repaired and retrued, the problem continued. I just had some new wheels built and the difference is huge. After riding these, the stock wheels seem sloppy and weak.
As another reviewer noted, the stock handlebars did not fit the stem and would slip. Also, the stock saddle was particularly uncomfortable but these are minor complaints and easy to fix. Finally, there is not enough clearance for full fenders.

colin   Commuter [Sep 21, 2007]
Strength:

everything

having to get off it to go to work

I bought this bike to lose weight it has been strapped on the back of my semi truck from alberta canada to florida i have rode this bike from coast to coast whenever i can i now use it for going to work about 30 miles a day had to change the tires kept getting flats and added new pedals other than that this bike has been flawless i love how it responds and has never let me down it has a lot of miles on it, some good dings also have crashed a few time but it just adds to the character everytime i get on it i feel like i could go fo ever i hate getting to work so i have towait 8 hours to get back on it again great bike will take it to the grave.

Similar Products Used: none
norman wells   Road Racer [Jul 09, 2006]
Strength:

Handle bar is very comfortable. The Shimano gear responds extremely tightly. The bike is a very good choice for anybody who's looking for a non-specaliazed, versatile bike. I'd say it's biggest strength is its quality/price comparison.

I had a bit of a hard time getting adjusted to the seat... the first few weeks riding the bike, my rear was in pain for the first 10 minutes every time I would get on the bike, but I'm guessing that would've been the case with any seat, me not being used to road bikes. Also, I;ve came very close to crashing on a few occasions while riding in the rain, the stock tires don't seem to work very well in rain. Not a big flaw, though, they can be replaced for better tires for about 60$ Canadian. (comparable to 35-40$ US) Other than that, it's almost impossible to find a new one by now, and Lemond stopped production of the Nevada City in 2006 (I might be wrong, but I think the 2005 Nevada was the only one?). A bit of a disappointment. Maybe another model fits the same niche.

Price paid is in Canadian dollars... The bike was actually on sale because it was last year's model. Original price was 1000$!

I was totally out of shape (20 lbs overweight) when I bought this bike. I simply changed my eating habbits to healthier food, whilst not sacrificing quantity. It's been 3 months so far and I've already lost 5 lbs! This bike is completely responsible for my metabolism raise. I love riding the bike so much that I'm enthusiasted whenever I get a chance to go for a big ride. The ride is smooth,l even on my trashed Canadian roads. I realize now, the Canadian dollar being what it is, I paid WAY too much for the bike (should've ordered it from the States!), but I'm still 100% happy with my purchase. Mine came with regular non-clip pedals, that I traded for clip pedals. I find the bike responds very nicely to any type of work... climbing, tight turning, flat, etc. The bike definetly got me hooked to cyclism. I ride it 6 days a week. I'm in my happy place on that bike. My next bike will definetly be another Lemond.

Similar Products Used: This is my first ever road bike!
SpudR   Road Racer [Nov 28, 2004]
Strength:

I never want to get off the bike

I haven't found any yet. The only thing is when you get this bike switch out the stock seat for some other seat. Stock one is very uncomfortable, plus it don't go with the bike

This is a very sweet bike to start out with. First road bike, switched over from MTB and I'm loving it. I can ride this bike for a long distance and still want more. Any type of road is good hill, down, flat. I get looks and good comments on the bike from the paint job to the bike itself.

mjluv4u   Recreational Rider [Jun 20, 2004]
Strength:

carbon fiber fork, stock seat is so very comfy. super stiff frame, lemond geometry cant be beat for tall people. price is insanely low for al/carbon bike!

none yet. stock pedals had to go. but at least it came with pedals.

this bike is more than i ever hoped for. i paid $600 (550 plus tax) at an lbs, hoping to get something better than the crappy leaderbike that i got on ebay. i was really surprised. i expected an ok ride, heavy, rough riding, but its about the rider, not the rig, right? when i started riding it however, i realized the geometry, with the sloping top tube, was the best fit that i could possibly find. the ride was every bit as good as the trek 5200 that i test rode, and the lemond caused me no numbness in my hands or crotchular area, whereas the trek did. the ride is smooth thanks to 700*25 tires at 100psi, and the frame is stiffer than any ive ever ridden. my scale is always off, but i weighed it several times, and think the 59cm (im 6 foot 3 inches) is about 21-22 pounds with 2 bottle cages and egg beaters on it. it came with clip pedals stock, but those scare me, so off they went. the stem is straight or can point up a few degrees, which is very comfy. this is the first bike that hasnt caused me any pain, and at the same time i cruise around 19-20 mph over 50 miles or so. so it aint slow. havent crashed it yet, but so far but 500 miles on it the first week, and have no complaints in any way. i suppose some ppl will think its heavy, but i think the extra 3 pounds is well worth the $1000 i saved.

Similar Products Used: trek 5200-17lbs but $2500. leaderbike (735 frame with ultegra) 19 lbs and horrible company, steel bianchi trofeo, awesome '90s bike.
pitboss12   Recreational Rider [May 30, 2004]
Strength:

Steady, reliable

Cheap saddle, slight QC problem with the steam and hub seals

The Nevada City is a nice little ride for the price point. I bought on as a training bike that I could thrash on without worrying. As a stock bike, it's not really light but it does perform well. It feels stable at high speeds and reacts quickly to evasive action. The parts spec isn't anything to write home about. The saddle had to go. The stem clamp was over-machined and did not hold bar securely. About 5 miles in to the first ride I noticed that the bar was slowly slipping until my chest was almost on the stem. I had to ride to the shop to get it replaced. The seals on the front wheel hub was also squeaking horribly with every rotation. I had to shoot grease in there to quiet it. However, the shifting was flawless and the drivetrain has been problem free. The carbon fork does look nice with a blue paint job that fades down to gloss coated carbon fiber. It does help with viobration damping but a carbon seatpost could help it do a better job. This bike does have an AL frame after all. Despite a few problems, this bike is definitely great for a beginner, a commuter bike, or someone wanting a bike to train on.