LeMond Bicycles Versailles Road Bike

Versailles

FRAME
Sloping geometry True Temper OX Platinum Steel Spine/ OCLV 120 GSM carbon cockpit

FORK
Bontrager Carbon, alloy steerer

WHEEL SET
Bontrager Select wheel system

GRUPPO
Shimano Ultegra

James   Road Racer [Jul 08, 2009]
Strength:

Comfortable, tracks well, responsive (for my light weight), storms up hills and pretty fast on the flat. Has survived a lot of abuse on country roads with big potholes and wheels still true. Shimano group is dependable as always. Cheap!

Horrific stock saddle, wheels aren't particually stiff or high-tech looking, finishing kit is a bit low end (but it was a cheap bike). Colour (what colour!) scheme is a bit plain. Tyres are a bit heavy as 25c, but they do soak up the bumps well!

Bought the bike after my previous Alu frame decided to snap on the way to work. Got a very good deal (~50% off) as it was last years model. I really like the steel/carbon combo as it is definately smooth on the road and looks pretty cool. Saddle had to go after a week as it was terrible and riduculously uncomfortable, replaced it with a Specialized Toupe Ti which is the best and most comfortable saddle I've ever used. Have done a lot of miles in all conditions (a lot of rain over here!) and is still in near perfect condition after 2+ years, even the wheels are still true. Only down sides I've noticed are the slightly flexy wheels and bontrager finishing kit which has low quality stainless steel bolts which rust instantly! Only other thing is that high speed descents the front end can get a bit of speed wobble, but not that much that it's slowed me down yet. Really like the frame so currently considering a new set of lighter/better wheels to smarten it up a bit.

Similar Products Used: Lemond Buenos Aires (brother bike, identical frame, better wheels and campy veloce), Orbea First (cheap alu first road bike)
evets   Recreational Rider [Jan 31, 2009]
Strength:

Comfort, value.

Weight, original saddle, tires and wheels and a little soft overall

The bike is very comfortable, once you change the saddle, though it is a little long in the top tube for me. I have ridden mine (the steel/carbon mix) for about 10000 miles and still like it very much. It still has most of the original parts, though I upgraded the rear wheel and got much better tires. It is still a little heavy for climbing and a little soft, particularly in the front end, but then it isn't a race bike. For its purpose, it is pretty terrific, and it has lasted really well (and I ride in all kinds of weather including northeast winters). Eventually, I will get a lighter, stiffer bike, but I will save this for long, comfortable rides in inclement weather.

Similar Products Used: specialized allez, cannondale super six
jae   Recreational Rider [Jan 14, 2009]
Strength:

Very comfortable, stable and responsive. The ride is smooth. The frame just 'feels right.'

The stock seat was just not very comfortable. Everything could be slightly lighter, but then you're looking at a $3k+ bike.

I am very happy with this bike. I had considered a new Giant "Alliance" frame but found this as a deal used and have been very happy. This is a very comfortable ride and I suspect for most riders, the bike won't be limiting. It has no lag when you punch it in a sprint and feels very stable on corners.

It's not the lightest bike in the world, but not the heaviest.

Similar Products Used: decade+ old Trek 2300.
jcdouglas4   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2008]
Strength:

Geometry
material mix
cool quiet ride

It's a little heavy.
105 componentry could be upgraded.
stickers - Trek should not use stickered logos at this price point!

This IS a smoothe bike, but it's also a fast bike. The components are nice, but not high end. It's not light in the world of road bikes, but it is efficient, and unless you are in the single digits on body fat, the weight of this bike will not hinder you. Also, the added comfort gives your body a little more spring late in the ride when attacks are most effective. The factory set-up was a little too agressive with a 120 stem and 46 bar, but the shop swapped them out for me at no charge. I have around 4500 miles on this bike. I've upgraded the cranks to dura ace, changed to an easton stem, and put on a selle saddle. I have considered changing the 25 tires to 23's, but on this bike, there is not a huge incentive to do that. Bontrager race lite wheels are rock solid. I would like to have seen this bike spec'd with all Ultegra instead of just the rear deraileur, but for the money, it's a great mix. Unless you are looking for a serious race bike, this one will do whatever you need it too (climbs well, sprints well, and handles well).

Similar Products Used: Specialized Roubaix, Scott Speedster
willtre   Commuter [Oct 09, 2008]
Strength:

Ride quality. Fit. Value (I got a killer close-out deal after the Trek/Lemond divorce). Beat out every other bike I tested.

Greg Lemond (heh).
I'll be glad when it's time to replace the tires with some better ones.
The seat has way too much padding, but it's not uncomfortable. Someday I'll replace it.

I really love this bike. The 62cm fits me perfectly (I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs). It's my first carbon bike. I was intending to go with steel, but fell in love immediately when I test rode it. Takes the sting out of rough roads yet it's not mushy or noticeably flex-y. Climbing out of the saddle is very satisfying...gives you back everything you put into it. Corners and handles great at any speed. Frame material aside, it's the geometry of this bike that is so great. I like the long head tube and laid back seat tube angle. I only have to a use a couple of spacers to make the 'bar height 'just right.' After I replaced the 90mm 17-degree stem with a 120mm 7-degree stem it was perfect.
The bottom bracket and/or cranks creaked for the first couple of months until I finally got fed up and disassembled and re-greased everything. Now it's as solid and silent as a rock. The 105/Ultegra components are a joy to use. Shifting is smooth and positive. All in all a very responsive go-fast bike that's also extremely comfortable for long rides. I like the understated graphics, too.

Graeme Ritchie   Recreational Rider [Jan 18, 2008]
Strength:

The geometry is comfortable for a recreational (4 times a week) rider like myself. The bike has coped well with the long rides and big climbs (including Thailand's highest mountain, a climb of around 8,000 feet) I've done so far. Visually, the silver and blue model is attractive - matches my shoes and favorite top!

The Bontrager Select wheels are undoubtedly heavy. First target for upgrading.

I bought the 2007 LeMond Versailles as a move to an all carbon frame. (I had been using an aluminium frame road bike for about 5 years.) My reason for going for a carbon frame was principally comfort (with weight a secondary consideration). This bike also has better components than my old bike (which was set up with Shimano 105 components). I am pretty satisfied with my purchase. I hadn't really thought that it would make such a difference to my times on my regular routes, but I've improved all my personal bests. I find the bike really comfortable too. A combination, I think, of the geometry (less stretched than my old bike), and the carbon frame. In my first century ride on this bike (around 135 miles) I had none of the shooting pains in my shoulders which characterized longish rides on my old bike. The 10 speed block and ultegra rear changer work well too. So, all in all, I feel that the move to carbon has made a big difference to both my times, and the pleasure of the experience.

Similar Products Used: I wasn't able to try out any equivalent products, but can make a comparison with my old Wheeler aluminium road racing bike.
turbokirbo   Recreational Rider [Nov 10, 2007]
Strength:

relatively light weight, smooth ride, precise handling and nice compliment of components.

none yet.

I've only had this bike 2 weeks and I already love it! Though I have only been out twice on short rides thus far, I am impressed with this bike. I have test ridden several others carbon and alum and this is smooooooooth. weight seems very decent and soaks up the rough spots in the road. Gears change smooth as silk with the 105/ultegra components, great handling and very comfortable fit. I will follow up on this initial review after I've had some real miles under my belt (hopefully very soon). So far I'm very satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Tested a Scattante, Felt, and Tommaso.
irwin_jim   Recreational Rider [Oct 10, 2007]
Strength:

Comfortable ride, yet has decent road feedback and manueverability

Dadgum Bontrager Race Lux saddle has way too much padding for this range of bike. Lemond, stick with the Race saddle or equivalent!

This bike replaces a 20 year old Trek steel frame, so my reference point may be a bit skewed. I purchased it without having riden it due to the 'closeout' price at my LBS. I've been researching for almost 12 months, though, so had compared specs and geometries of various bikes. Lemond offered a more 'relaxed' geometry that I am used to and prefer for my style of riding.

After the first one arrived damaged, I got the last 61cm 2007 in stock.
I've put about 140 miles on it in the last week, including a century. It's performed flawlessly and has been a joy to ride. After swapping the stem during fiting at my LBS for a shorter reach, I was able to achieve a comfortable riding position. It fit my 6' 4", 207 lb frame just fine.

I was very comfortable throughout the century (my first one!). I don't know if that was due to the frame design, carbon material, or even the Bzzkills bar-end inserts. So far so good!

I'm still making the transition from downtube shifters to the STIs, though shifting from the large to small chainring seems clunky. Not sure if it needs further adjustment or is normal behavior.

I'd recommend this bike to anyone wanting to move into a carbon fiber frame bike whose riding style is not race-based. It doesn't seem to have the extremely crisp feedback that most racers desire. The componentry is not top-of-the-line (Dura Ace), but then again, neither is the price. If you're looking for an affordable, light, supple bike for long recreational rides, this one deserves a look.