Leopard Cycles L1 Road Bike

Leopard L1 Carbon Frame and Fork

Gezza   Recreational Rider [Jan 28, 2011]
Strength:

Comfort/Compliance while still being incredibly responsive. Great looking frame - so distinctive when compared to other spaceship style frames out there these days.

Frame was delivered without proper headset or matching cable guide...but nothing that couldn't be sorted (fault of seller not Leopard I believe).

excellent frame with fantastic styling. Uber cool bike. Matched it with my own components (Ritchey WCS bars, stem etc, Fulcrum racing 3 wheels and SRAM Force drivetrain) and did not expect it to work this well together. really pleased and much easier & comfortable than other bikes I've ridden (especially for the price)

Similar Products Used: Scott CR1
Ben VanWye   Triathlete [Nov 27, 2007]
Strength:

Fit, handling, road feel, nice paint job.

The carbon handlebars have nice ergonomic flat grips in between the brake hoods, but in the drops my (large) hands were a little cramped and got numb during criterium turning

The Leopard L1 is light, responsive, and sharp looking. Based on advice from the tech guys at the shop in San Francisco I opted for Easton Tempest II wheels to go with both a triathlon/TT set-up and a swap out road set-up as well. It's an excellent combination. To save money I spec'ed Ultegra since the bike comes standard with a carbon crank. I chose a compact crank coupled with a cluster with an 11 tooth small cog - which I recommend. At 6'3" and 200 lbs I need a frame with a 62 cm seat tube and something longer than the standard 59 cm top tube found on other bikes. The Leopard geometry is exactly on target for me, with a 61 cm top tube and a choice of stem lengths. I've had four road bikes, and this is the best yet.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1200, EPX 303, Airborne Zepplin, Cervelo P2k
John Skog   Road Racer [Nov 24, 2007]
Strength:

Price and components. The wheelset is bulletproof! After 3000 miles, still haven't had to true them.

Within 15 minutes of delivery, I had my new CL1 assembled, adjusted and ready to ride. After a 5 mile warm-up, I began a century ride that was just awesome. The bike performed extremely well and was admired by many!

Similar Products Used: A quantum leap above my Specialized Allez.
justridekp   Recreational Rider [Nov 03, 2007]
Strength:

Unsurpassed customer service, customized component package, price, geometry fits me like a glove, amazing paint job, smooth ride, solid handling on descents

None to date

Whenever I'm in the market for a new anything, I research my options to death. My search for a new ride kept bringing me back to the Leopard website. Yeah, it was the gallery of amazing paint jobs that first drew me in...but I eventually went with the Leopard based on geometry, components, price and money-back guarantee. I have not been disappointed! First of all, they guys were happy to work with me on some adjustments to my order. They ordered in some Ascent II wheels for me and also a Terry seat that they didn't usually carry. Although I did have to wait a week or so while they sent back the fork to the paint shop because they weren't happy with the match to the frame (and hey, I'm impressed with that kind of QC), the bike arrived ready to roll and just as sweet-looking as the gallery frames. Rode it a few times and realized the stem was a little long for me so the guys swapped it out for me. I had also opted to go with a compact crankset and realized after a month that it just wasn't working for me. This, of course, was my mistake but Leopard readily swapped out the compact for a traditional. I can't think of anywhere else you'd get this kind of customer service! I love the semi-compact geometry, comfortable ride, responsive handling, everything already mentioned in previous reviews. The Leopard ergo carbon handlebars are extremely comfortable and I have a hard time riding my old bike with standard bars now.

Similar Products Used: Kestrel 200EMS
Trek 5200
fruitguy   Triathlete [Oct 29, 2007]
Strength:

The bike has out performed me for quite a while

I was new to cycling and looking for a bike I could grow into over the coming years. I found the Leopard cycles web site and started asking a bunch of questions. The owners were quick to respond and helped get my initial measurements. I am now racing competitively as a CAT 3 thanks to the support of the Leopard crew.

Steve Rebscher   Triathlete [Oct 29, 2007]
Strength:

The Leopard is stiff and very comfortable. The components, from top guality tires and Michelin A1 tubes, to the custom carbon stem and seat post area all top guality and very light resulting in a bike that comes in under 16 pounds.
The overall finish, uncluding the fiber mat overlay patterns, etc. is exceptionally well done. The newer Orbeas are as good but the order ones looked like my daughters paper mache art project. Customer support for the Leopard is also excellent. I've had two breaks on the bike. The first was the BB axel totally shredding (which was really strange since I only weigh 155 and use the compact crank). This was not Leopards fault but they replaced it immediately and got me on my way. The second was a small crack at the web of the stem face plate screw hole. It looked like the screw was over tightened and cracked the plate. They sent me a new one the next day. Great service and a good attitude. Overall, the build on the bike was excellent. Nothing needed to be touched for at least 2,000 miles, then I just did my usual tweaking at home. Now, at about 9,000 or so everything is perfect. I am also very happy with the Ascent II wheelset. They are very quick and pe

The leopard L1 is exceptional. Overall it is clearly stiffer than my old Davidson Stiletto crit frame but at the same time it is super comfortable. I did the Marklieville Death Ride the past two years and every aspect of the bike was comfortable after 130 miles. Downhills at 55+ were smooth and more precise than the Davidson ever was. I have been happy with every aspect of the bike. In particular, the REAL weight of the bike off the shelf was under 16 pounds. High end models of bikes from other manufacturers that friends have purchased talk about 16 pound bikes and then they were close to 18 pounds when they bring them home! What's that all about? Mostly, it seems to be a good light frameset and then cutting corners on components to lower their cost. Leopard goes top flight all tcrank set up. It sets up the gearing just right for my power level. Bottom line - I am very happy with the bike.

txspinner   Recreational Rider [Oct 28, 2007]
Strength:

Beautiful bike. Best carbon bike for the money. Outstanding customer service including follow up on upgraded parts.

I was skeptical about buying a bike without a test ride. I sent my measurements and when the bike came back it was a perfect fit. The bike is agile, fast, and cuts through the wind. The price is really good for the components and the customer service is excellent. I would recommend the bike and the company without reservation. Keep up the good work!

Similar Products Used: Trek 1500
jbattlecpa   Road Racer [Aug 30, 2006]
Strength:

Looks, weight, stiffness and customer service.

Not sure yet if any.

I was looking for a carbon fiber frame that could be built with certain grupos and came across the Leopard. I was drawn to the bike by the photos of the available paint jobs on the web site, the available setups and some of the testimonials. I priced some others and kept coming back to this one as being the best all around and I tend not to buy in the mainstream. Ordering it was simple and had email and voice conversations with the company throughout the process. It did take two weeks as they had a back-log for the painter, but it was well worth the wait. The bike is unbelievable! It is light, responsive, climbs well and comfortable.

Similar Products Used: Gios Torino, old Trek
supertour1976   Road Racer [Jun 14, 2006]
Strength:

Best customer service along with a great bike.

Just a follow up from my last review. I had a warrenty issue with the bottom bracket cartridge this last Saturday. So I called Leopard Cycles that day and actually got a response within 2 hours that Saturday! Try that with any other bike manufacturer for warrenty issues! I was told my replacement part would be mailed on Monday! Just like that, no questions as to weather it was my fault that the part broke or anything! This was the best customer service I have ever had. I would recommend Leopard Cycles to anyone that is looking for the best value backed by real customer service.

Similar Products Used: Tried customer service at Mavic, sucked!
supertour1976   Road Racer [May 22, 2006]
Strength:

Killer paint job, silky ride, really smooths out the chip seal, corners like you can't believe.

I am actually surprised I can't thing of one.

I was first drwwn to the bike by the photos of the available paint jobs on the web site. Then checked out the prices. Price seemed to be not the cheapest carbon bike, but was the best value for what you got. I priced out a Giant TCR the way I would like one and the price came out to $4000. I did'n want to get a bike without first riding it, so since I live within a days drive of the bay Area where Leopard Cycles is located, I arranged for a test ride. My bike was assembled for me at their shop. I was first amazed by the smoothness of the ride and over comfort. Did a sprint, seemed stiff enough. The lightness made a difference in the climbs compared to my 18.5 lb old bike. What I really liked was the decending and cornering feel of the bike. Just a little weight on the inside hand, outside padal down, and super responsive without being twitchy. I've had it to 54mph stable. I get comments on the paint job on all the centuries.

Similar Products Used: Bob Jackson Reynolds 531, Davidson Tange Steel, Mercier carbon alum.