Leopard Cycles M1SL Road Bike

M1SL

The Leopard M1SL road bike. Our flagship machine comes with a relaxed road geometry with unique tubing and taller headtubes. Ideal for any type of riding; criteriums, long road races, or grand fondo’s. Endorsed by discriminating enthusiasts and seasoned professionals, including the 1984 Olympic road champion, Alexi Grewal. Monocoque, carbon dropouts Tapered headtube Frame weight: 840 gms (54.5cm top tube) 4.5 star stiffness with 5 star compliance.

Tyler Roberts   Road Racer [Aug 14, 2013]
Strength:

Light, stiff, agile, handles very well, smooth ride, good price.

This was my first carbon road bike that I have purchased, and I have to say that the bike is more than what I could ever have hoped for. Since the frame is light and agile, it is almost effortless to navigate any turn or technical course. I like the fact that it rides very smoothly, which is nice when you're racing or riding for a long period of time. I am appreciative of the cost to quality proportion, in the sense that you get more for your dollar than you would from other companies. I am very satisfied with this product and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a well-rounded bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 1000, Giant TCR2, Cervelo Soloist Aluminum, Cervelo S1
S Dowdy   Triathlete [Jun 25, 2013]
Strength:

Very quick bike - firm, strong and light with great handling and smooth ride. Sharp looking frame. Very high Quality for price.

I purchased this 2009 bike from a former California Webcor racing team mechanic in Boulder, CO.. It was a spare frame that he built out with good components and I have used for Triathalons and Road rides around Colorado. My neighbor who rides +$10K bikes and does mountain climb racing is very impressed with my Leopard bike. I am surprised there are not more dealers handling this bike in Colorado, as it is far superior in weight and handling compared to other bikes I tested from top dealers in the area. I would highly recommend this frame and service for parts from the Leopard Cycle Company has been outstanding.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Allez
Tom Judson   Road Racer [Jun 07, 2013]
Strength:

Great value. The bike climbs well and corners great. Customer service is fantastic.

Just the rider.

My M1SL is my second Leopard (after an M1). The M1 was my first CF bike. Before that I had been riding custom steel frames. What a change! Although I really liked the M1, but the M1SL is a huge improvement. It's lighter, stiffer, and looks much cleaner. Leopard Cycles has great customer service. I called yesterday to order a spare derailleur hanger, and they shipped it today. I have been spending several weeks in the Pyrenees and the Alps each summer for the past 5 years. My M1SL climbs great and descends like it is one rails. I hope to be in the market for a new bike next year, and another Leopard is near the top of my list. I plan on keeping my M1SL as a training bike.

Similar Products Used: Leopard M1, custom built Cyclops steel bike.
T Stanis   Road Racer [Mar 07, 2013]
Strength:

Fantastic Value. Climbs like a mountain goat. Very stable cornering. Comfortable ride for long days in the saddle.

Not as stiff as some of the competition (CAAD9, Scott Foil).

I bought the Leopard M1SL after trying Cannondale, Scott, Specialize and Trek. The M1SL is a fantastic bike. It's light as a feather. The first time I climbed Kings Mountain Rd on this bike I set a 1 minute PR vs. my previous (albeit heavy 21lb aluminum) Cannondale Synapse. I will say that the bike is not as stiff as some of the sprinter bikes like the Scott Foil. Coming over from my old relaxed geometry bike, I saw no improvement in power transfer (measured with PowerTap) when cranking up short efforts < 30 seconds. On the other hand, the ride on the M1SL is MUCH smoother then those stiff as steel sprinter bikes. While this bike has a race geometry I actually feel more comfortable on it then I do on the Synapse.

The bike is also very tough. It has been through 2 heavy crashes without any frame damage.

The other great thing about this bike is the geometry. Other bikes offer geometry where even with a slammed -17 stem you're still flying a sail. This bike allows for you to get low and fast if you want, or put in some spacers and have a more comfortable ride.

The handling on the bike is very predictable and reassuring. I'm a pretty nervous/poor descender, and this has improved my descending dramatically. I have never had any wobble or understeer. I've also ridden it on dirt and it does as well as you would expect with 23mm tires.

There is a bit of toe-overlap with the front wheel, but it has never caused me any troubles.

The sizing is a bit different then it might appear. I actually ride the size Small even though I'm 5'10". The guys at Leopard have a good understanding of what will fit you, so email them and discuss it, don't just look at the top tube length.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Synapse
John Corbin   [Feb 15, 2013]
Strength:

Quick, smooth power, but very compliant!

None...

I am on my second Leopard M1SL. Last year I bought a major brand bike and was disappointed with the bike. My new Leopard M1SL is like finding a lost love. Thank you Leopard for keeping high standards.

Frank McGorman   Road Racer [Oct 27, 2012]
Strength:

Light and stiff - climbs like a Colorado Mountain Goat. Corners like it is on rails - very predictable and stable.

Doesn't have the built in ANT+ sensors like some new bikes now come with.

The bike is light and stiff - which translates directly into responsive climbing capability. It feels lighter than it is because it is efficient at converting force into forward motion. Corners like it is on rails - very predictable and stable. I bought the bike a few seasons ago. It replaced my Colnago C40, which, until I bought the M1SL, I thought was "The" bike. Going from the C40 to the Leopard M1SL was like going from a Volkswagen to a Porsche. The difference was that noticeable. The M1SL is lighter, stiffer, and more responsive. I love the bike. I don't upgrade unless the new bike rides significantly better. I screen with fact sheets, I buy based on how they ride. I think I'll be riding this one for quite some time.

Similar Products Used: Ciocc, Merlin Extralight, Colnago C40.
Parnell Pollioni   [Oct 07, 2012]
Strength:

A stiff and strong frame with a great ride.

None that I have found.

The M1SL is a sleek frame made with precision carbon technology. The result is astonishing responsiveness, and great handling qualities. I have about 3000 miles on the frame with nothing but good to say.

joey reagan   Road Racer [Oct 03, 2012]
Strength:

Value. Great bike for the money. Light. Stable.

You have to buy complete bike through a shop; Leopard used to sell directly online in years past.

I bought a top-end M1SL in 2008 (with SRAM Red, Easton bars, Topolino wheels) to race on. It's been a workhorse for me. The only thing I've changed is to aero wheels this year. I've had great success all along. And it's still going strong. I am light (140lb) and older (60+), and I need a responsive bike to keep up with the surges in a race. This bike really helps. I own 4 bikes and keep the M1SL exclusively for road racing.

Jim Ting   Triathlete [Aug 17, 2012]
Strength:

1.) The people at Leopard truly care about the rider's experience on their bikes. They go out of their way to make sure the rider is satisfied.

2.) The bike handles down hill riding very well. It feels extremely stable.

3.) Riding flats feels effortless.

I am a commuter and a weekend rider. This was my first road-bike. I therefore don't have another bike to compare it to. However I do know that the bike has held up extremely well after over two years of constant riding. Again, I cannot say enough about the people at Leopard. I have bombarded them with questions over the past two years about maintaining the bike. They are super responsive.

Stephen Thau   Road Racer [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

Responsive, comfortable, light, great handling.

I've had my M1SL about 2 years, and I"m still thrilled with every ride. When you push, it jumps--very responsive, while being stable and terrific over rough patches of road. It's also a great looking ride! It's definitely improved my rides and races. Customer support when I was buying it was terrific--very helpful with suggestions for components and geometry to fit my riding.