Litespeed Archon Road Bike

Archon

You accept the undeniable advantage that aerodynamic design gives you, but you like to race on the road, and aerobars are a no-go for mass-start races. The Litespeed Archon C3 gives you all the aerodynamic advantage you crave, but in a road-friendly package. Shimano Ultegra drivetrain and controls, combined with a BB30 FSA crankset ensures all the power you put to the pedals turns into speed.

BobS   Road Racer [Apr 09, 2013]
Strength:

A ride that feels alive - from its stiffness and overall handling.

Pricey

I've been riding Litespeeds now for a decade, and the Archon is the latest, and by far the best. My wife may be getting tired of hearing me say "I just love this bike". But it's true. Handling is almost telepathic, and the power-transfer efficiency is amazing.

For a little background, I'd been riding a 2003 Siena that I liked, but the fact that the seat-stays were carbon just kind of bothered me (seemed like a Ti-maker adding a gimmick to appeal to the carbon crowd?...). The bike handled very well, and felt as if it were custom-fitted. In 2009, I found out that the Siena was being discontinued - and my hunt started to find one. I landed a new 2009 model for a song, and really enjoyed the significantly better (stiffer, lighter, and no carbon!) ride of the newer frame.

Well... then I learned last year 2012 that the Archon was going to be morphed into a model called the T1, and the new model would have a stiffer tapered headset and a BB30 bottom bracket - neither of which I was interested in*. Once again, I started a search for a model that would soon be gone. Found one for a very-acceptable price, though still a bit on the pricey side. Got it, built it up, and upon rolling out of my garage for the first time, I knew this bike was something very special. I've ridden, and raced, carbon before, and didn't like the lifeless feel of it. Yeah, carbon can be lighter, and stiffer, but Ti just feels alive. Out of the saddle, I cannot believe how stiff this bike is. I'm more of a climber than a 1200-Watt sprinter, but even when stomping on this thing, it feels stiffer than I could ever dream. Leaving a stop light, clipping in and stepping on it, I'm across the intersection before I can believe it.

For handling, the Archon continues the classic feel I've come to know and love. It inspires confidence on fast descents and through corners. For climbing, it feels nimble and efficient. Yes, I love this bike, and also love that it's titanium, and will (baring incident), outlast me.

*The Archon is noted for having an incredibly stiff front-end (due to its oversized tubes and unique wrap-around tubes), so having a stiffer head-tube area was of no interest to me, and the "benefits" of a BB30 (slightly lighter, improved leg-line for pedaling), was again of no interest to me... external bearings are tried-and-true, are not prone to creak, and I can work on it myself - plus, the 2009 Siena is going nowhere, so having two-like BB'd bikes makes sense (both will have a similar feel once clipped in).

Paid $3,000 online for the frame, and built it up with hand-selected parts for an amazing ride.

Similar Products Used: Kestral, Schwin, Frejus (old school Italian), Cilo (old school Swiss - and an amazing bike), Quintana Roo, Simonetti, other Litespeeds, Specialized...
Barry   [Sep 24, 2012]
Strength:

Very good ride quality..very responsive...aero frame..quick

none so far...very happy with the C3 after purchasing new aero wheelset...Litespeed brand not carried by many shops..

Not too many shops carry the Litespeed Brand... the marketing is poor...I happened upon the C3 while shopping for a new bike...I have heard from other riders that if any issues occur with the frame, Litespeed is slow to respond and not helpful in taking responsibility for backing up the warranty...not good My other ride,a Specialized, recently had a cracked frame on the chain stay drive side...while on vacation, 800 miles from where originally purchased..The local dealer, Boone Bike in North Carolina had me on a new replacement frame within two weeks...The manufacturer stood behind the product and did the right thing.. no problem and Dealer was very helpful ...Love the C3 ...I hope I never have a frame problem......

focus bikes   [Jul 02, 2012]
Strength:

The new Litespeed Archon C1R is not another 'carbon copy' carbon fiber road bike. It is something unique that begs to be heard above the din of high-end carbon fiber road frames. Our designers did strong benchmarking when they designed the new Litespeed Archon C1R. They were thinking about the other bikes in the crowded $5000+ super-bike category. They were thinking about how to differentiate this bike from others in that category and provide something tangibly unique from those offerings, and at a better value. We succeeded in producing something tangibly different that exceeded even our expectations.

The Litespeed C1 for 2012 can be referenced to as the "AIRWOLF" of bike because it is so stealthy. Its AERO design ensures that you will be cutting through the wind and given an advantage over your competator. Know More : http://www.carbonconnection.com/litespeed-archon-c1-dura-ace-road-bike-2012/

GravelDog   [Feb 17, 2012]
Strength:

stiffness and vertical compliance. The feel is like a racing machine.

not only will it be a light ride but will lighten your wallet. Any top end road bike will demand top dollar.

Archon wants to be ridden. Power transfer is direct - what you put in gives back extra and still keeps on giving. Dishing our aching Archon pain to fellow club riders. Also a great quality ride on century rides.

Brandon   Road Racer [Feb 01, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth, Great power transfer, and takes a turn at high speeds.

I give out before the bike does.

This bike is really light and fast. Very stable when going down the mountains. I have hit 58 MPH and felt comfortable enough to let go of the handle bars. You can ride this bike for hours without feeling fatigue. I'm 6'1" 230 lbs and have never had a problem with the bike.

Similar Products Used: I have a 1999 Litespeed Vortex, 2005 Litespeed Vortex, and the 2009 Archon. I enjoy all of the bikes and use them all.
DM   Road Racer [Jul 27, 2010]
Strength:

Ti absorbs the big bumps. Small road chatter neutralized nearly as good as carbon, better than any other Ti. Ti 6/4 TT & 3/2.5 combo pulls it off well. Paint job on Ti looks awesome!

3 years of riding, packing, shipping & handling showing its punishment on fragile paint-job. In need of a touch up kit.

Wow! 3 years, and about 16k miles now. 195 lb sprinter / crit racer. This bike is truly amazing! Stout for crits, cornering and sprinting. Unbelievably comfortable on centuries / lowest fatigue of anything ever ridden by far. Solid climber w/ no noticeable flex. Best descender I've ever ridden. Litespeed wanted an all-around bike with the Archon, and I think they got it. This is longest I've owned any bike. I simply love to ride it everyday! 3 years and honeymoon still not over!

Similar Products Used: Merlin Cielo carbon/Ti, Specialized Allez A1 Al Aqua Sapone, Titus Modena carbon/Al, Jamis steel, Lemond Poprad steel.
robert martinez   Road Racer [Jul 26, 2010]
Strength:

Ride Quality in all situations.

cost a bundle. but what price for perfection

This is a warrenty replacement for a firenze that cracked on the BB shell. Ride is smooth. When climbing or sprinitng the BB area is rock solid. Rough roads are a breeze.The combo of the frame,saddle and carbon post is soft enough to sleep on. Super lite feel but confident and true on fast descents.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Specialized Allez,2005 Litespeed Firenze, 1990 Univega Superstrada, 196? Falcon San Remo.
mmorra   Road Racer [Jun 03, 2010]
Strength:

Stiffness, acceleration, durability of Ti.

Expensive.

I have only put about 150 miles on my 2010 Archon so far, because I just built it up over the weekend. I have found it to be the most responsive and fun to ride road frame I have ever ridden (35 years of riding). It feels as if every pedal stroke is shooting you forward. I have been told that this is only a perceived effect and that it does not translate into higher speeds, however I'm not convinced this is true. I seem to be able to push bigger gears than I was ever able to do on my Litespeed Catalyst or Ghisallo Ti frames. In my opinion, the Archon is a rocket. Based on the three road Ti bikes that I have owned, I find the Archon to be superb ride.

Similar Products Used: Litespeed Ghisallo and Catalyst. Lots of steel frames.
mchinnak   Road Racer [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

Excellent power transfer - no fatigue. You are as strong at the end of the ride as you are at the beginning - never had this with my Ultimate or Ghisallo or Treks. And it springs forward when you apply force!

none.

Awesome bike. Excellent power transfer - no fatigue after my weekend 46 mile rides. Hills seems to vanish, head winds are cut like knife on butter. After 300 miles, I can tell, this bike is a winner (I do 4K miles a year typically). Power transfer is immediate - and climbs like a mountain goat. It is very stable during descents.

I bought this bike after my Litespeed Ultimate's carbon seat stay junction with titanium bond weakened. I am just sad I waited this long. While Ultimate is a sweet ride - Archon is just several steps above.

It is good lots of folks are ga ga over carbon - that way Archon can remain a hidden gem!

Similar Products Used: 2004 Litespeed Ultimate, 2006 Litespeed Ghisallo, 1996 Trek OCLV 5000.

Have test ridden my usual routes with R3 (from Competitivecyclist's week long demo program) and Trek Madone from Mellow Johnny's - rental for couple of days.
rickturbo   Road Racer [Dec 29, 2008]
Strength:

Legendary ride, performance, build quality, U.S. made. Wild tube shapes. Feels like a carbon bike, w/o the harsh ride.

None.

This has got to be the best built titanium bike ever. I've owned and ridden may bikes over the last 30 years, including steel, aluminum, alum/carbon and titanium. Unmatched in appearance, high tech, performance, and of course that legendary Ti ride. Summed up in one word; Exquisite! I'm a 185 lb racer/sprinter. I torque the hell out of frames. At 14.75 lbs(with pedals), this American made steed does everything well.