Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

Lynskey Performance Designs R255 Road Bike

The Lynskey R255 is comfort, handling, quickness, durability and lightness combined into one package. Built with a 3/2.5 seamless triple butted tube set that ensures a quick pace and a head tube angle that provides precise handling, the R255 is sure to keep you riding with a smile no matter the distance.

Within the realm of our Pro and Sport series, the R255 is the only non-shaped, fully round tube model that we offer. So many of you asked us to build that classic riding and looking, relaxed geometry, elegant frame, and we listened. Tire clearance for a 28c tire was also on your wish list, therefore the R255 should be the new bike to check all the boxes.

[Jul 25, 2017]
the night owl

Strength:

I own a bunch of bikes, the one titanium in my stable, an Eddie Merckx Titanium, was getting a little long of tooth. I'd been pretty pleased with the Merckx so I decided to go with the same people (the guys who started Lynskey owned litepeed when my Merckx was built). Mine is custom built with a long top tube due to my very long torso and a longer head tube to protect the bone spurs in my neck. It also sports a level top in the manner that the good Lord intended. The workmanship is flawless, I didn't realize a ti bike could be this beautiful. They no longer make the R255 but I understand that the 265 is essentially the same bike with curved stays. Being a purist, I'm glad to own the 255. Mine is equipped with an Enve 1.0 fork, dura ace 7900 (2nd generation 10 speed) and hand built wheels which are Mavic open pros built over the group set 7900 hubs. It's a very classic bicycle and even has a Brooks B17N saddle. I truly love steel bicycles, owning a Reynolds 753 Paramount, a Serotta Nova Special, and a Guru New Steel. I always believed that the best bicycles were built out of steel, preferably lugged. That is until I finally allowed myself to fall in love with this bike. This Lynskey is quite simply the best bicycle I've ever owned. The bike is incredibly comfortable, but unlike carbon, it retains much, maybe even most, of the road feel that you get from high quality steel. I don't like to spend much time with both hands off the bars, but this bike's tracking gives me the comfort to ride hands free. The bike sports a geometry that you can quite literally sit in all day, but there's plenty of response when decide it's time to jump. I weigh 220 and there's no sign of bottom bracket flex in a hard standing climb. The best endorsement I can offer is that I've always enjoyed switching bikes every few days and never ride the same bike an extended period. Until now! I've been exclusively on the Lynskey for 2-3 weeks now and don't see that changing anytime soon

Like someone else said, weakness? I haven't found any.

This Lynskey offers impeccable construction, unbelievable comfort and plenty of performance. There's no doubt, it's beautiful to boot. The mechanic at the local shop where I bought it (I believe they're totally online now) calls it the Rolls Royce. That fits, but it's got plenty of performance built in as there is no way that this bike is a plodding limousine. And if you're like me and something a little different from what everybody else has fits your personality, this is truly the bike for you.

[Sep 09, 2015]
L Utley

Strength:

Impeccable craftsmanship. Exquisite welds. Amazing compliant ride qualities and very comfortable. Above and beyond customer service is the norm. They have set the bar very high when it comes to service and they deliver. As for the bike itself, its just plain beautiful to look at. It is also still a rarity amongst the group rides and major Gran Fondo events so, it draws attention in an understated elegant manner.

Really? Weaknesses? None whatsoever.

A fabulous all day long distance workhorse that is superbly comfortable. Yet, when I need to jump on it or stand to hammer up a steep grade....it responds confidently and with vigor. Descending at speed, it feels like it is on rails and instills a true sense of confidence as I carve my line. Build includes: Lynskey Ti Seat Post, Lynskey Pro Carbon Fork, Full Dura Ace 9000, Zipp 30's, Zipp Carbon Contour SL Bars and Zipp Carbon Stem. Flirted with other looker frame sets out there recently but quickly came back to my senses. There is nothing better out there. You would have to pry this Lynskey from my cold dead hands before I'd ever let it go.

[Sep 08, 2015]
Greg V

Strength:

I have 200 miles on my new R265. It is definitely faster than the Roubaix Sport and Trek FX 7.7 (on which I put drop bars). It glides better - probably because of the Mavik wheel set - and it is easier to ride uphill. I find myself cruising along about a mile per hour faster than on the previous bikes, and my average MPH on rides has increased. I am 62 and got back into bicycling late last year. I have recently completed two 50+ mile rides, which would have been more difficult with my older bikes. The Ultegra cassette and 11 gears seems to provide more choices in the speeds that I ride - from 15.5 to 20 mph. I have ridden 1,000 miles this year, and will probably ride another 500 this fall.

Having never ridden another $4,000 bike, I can't comment on weaknesses. As a matter of fact, I can't comprehend a weakness of the R265.

For comparison purposes, I test rode an upper level Tarmac when test riding the R265. For the type of riding that I do, solo 20 to 25 miles after work and a longer ride on weekends, I really enjoy the geometry and feel of the Lynskey. I am totally satisfied with my new bike, and will be selling the others.

[Jul 20, 2015]
Peter Sidell

Strength:

I decided I wanted a great bike that would also be tolerant of the poorly maintained roads of the mountains in western Sonoma county.
I added hydraulic disc brakes and the sram red grupo to the mix and couldn't be more satisfied.
The bike does a great job smoothing out the patched potholes of the Sonoma county roads.

Perhaps a little heavier than carbon.

I am very pleased I made the decision to switch from carbon to titanium and believe the r265 was the ideal choice for me.

[Apr 27, 2015]
Steve

Strength:

500 miles so far. The bike handles precisely and is very responsive to rider input. Ultegra groupset is sweet. Relaxed geometry means more upright position, which works well for me..The bike is precise yet very smooth; the most noticeable difference between this bike and my last bike, which was high-end carbon fiber, is that my entire body does not feel beat-up when I finish the ride. I now only get tired legs! Great customer service from Lynskey. Great customer service and fitting from Redbeard Bikes Brooklyn, NY. Overall, I am very pleased.

Great bike

[Mar 05, 2015]
Ken Bauer

Strength:

It's a beautiful frame. The geometry is more relaxed than on my prior bike, so I sit up straighter, which is much better for the bulging discs in my neck and low back. It climbs well, it tracks well, and it is very stable at 50 mph on curvy down hills. I had it built with the S&S couplers, and I haven't noticed any effects on stability or handling due to the couplers.

Due to the more relaxed geometry, it's a little slower than my prior bike, which was also Ti, but I don't really need to go 55+ mph down hill.

So far, I love the bike. I haven't ridden a century on it yet, but my neck and back always feel better after riding the R255 than they did for a comparable ride on my prior bike, which I also loved. After 1,000s of miles on my old bike, which I also loved, my spine doc told me to limit my riding because of the pressure on my bulging discs. Instead, I bought a recumbent and the R255. The R255 is much more fun to ride, especially up hills.

[Jan 17, 2015]
Brian Coles

Strength:

I am 62 years and have owned and ridden carbon, steel and Ali bikes this is the best. Suggest you amticipate what your needs will be in say 10 years from now and realise that this bike will suit that purpose. Other reviews re smooth reonsive etc are correct and I won't bother to repeat.

None to date

Great if you are in the UK I suggest a trip to Fatbirds in Norfolk is worthwhile. They have a good range of Ti bikes to try and are very friendly and knowledgeable. I have no connection with the shop other than getting them to build up a bike for me.

[Jan 07, 2015]
Mcarver49

Strength:

It is a beautiful frame, especially if you have an eye for the classic bicycle. As many have said, it is a very smooth ride. I've had aluminum, steel, and carbon and titanium is really the best ride, close to steel but subtlety better. While not weight-weenie light, it is light enough for everyone but the pro racer. The Pro Carbon fork is very stable. We have big mountains out here in the West and I have had it up to 50 mph and felt stable. Customer service is awesome! It is satisfying to talk directly with the manufacturer and to own a made-in-USA frame.

I've only had the bike a few weeks and have yet to find any weaknesses. I am still considering if the Lynskey saddle is a long-term component but so far it is fine. I am still learning how to keep the titanium polish!

All-in-all it is a great bike. I don't need the race geometry anymore as those days are over. It is a wonderful bike for riding the long miles comfortably and quick. It's smoothness and stability are what I needed and it fits the bill. Unless I learn of a rich uncle this will probably be my last bicycle and I'm expecting it to last a long time as the manufacture is high-end.

[Oct 18, 2014]
MK - Vermont

Strength:

Beautifully crafted frame.
Wonderful ride.
Great value depending on group
Nice personal interaction with Lynskey

saddle that came with the bike needed to be updated as expected.
That's about it.

I like what another reviewer said about "smooth as silk". The bike just feels smooth and ready, uphill or down. Much more stable downhill than my previous carbon, BB30 bike and absolutely feels better climbing as well.
Looks gorgeous to me - elegant rather than flashy - and as noted above, just beautifully crafted, by American craftsmen!
I also had a wonderfully personal buying experience working with the people at Lynskey and my local dealer - Gene Bell, a real afficiando and craftsmen who runs a little shop, Belgen cycles in Richmond,VT if anyone is buying their Lynskey in New England.

[Jun 22, 2014]
P.S.

Strength:

(1) very light and stiff; (2) titanium (durable as steel but much lighter); (3) made in America; (4) reasonably priced compared to other high-end Ti frames; (4) round tubes & nearly level top tube = good looks and clean lines; (5) makes riding fun!

(1) tire clearance is better than on racier bikes, but still fairly limited - 28 max on rear; and be careful about fork and brake selection if you want to run a tire any wider than 25 on the front

This bike is really fast, responsive, and stiff for a "comfort" bike. Riding position is fairly aggressive, even though chain stays are a bit longer and head tube is a bit higher than on a typical racing bike. The rear triangle is surprisingly stiff and the wheelbase is only longish, so there's not a lot of shock absorption on rough pavement, especially with skinnier tires. But the bike climbs very efficiently and is a blast to ride. For me (rapidly approaching AARP membership), this is a "go fast" bike ideal for weekend rides up to 60 miles. At 70-80 miles I start to feel it in my shoulders and neck and to wish I had cushier tires. This is not a complaint about the bike, just about getting older, and I could get the bars higher with a different stem. The aesthetics of this bike deserve special mention. It looks great, especially painted. Tubes are round and slightly larger than what you see on a steel bike. Top tube is not radically sloped, just a bit, and the decals are modest/minimalist. Looks like a road bike should look. Not overly precious or retro, on the one hand, and not plastered with flashy logos and advertising, on the other. In choosing this bike, the main competition was: (1) more expensive (Seven, Moots); (2) carbon (Specialized Roubaix); or (3) not as light and zippy as I wanted (Rivendell). Very happy to get a frame built in the U.S.A., as well.