Masi Alare Road Bike

Alare

The all new Alare frame is nothing short of amazing. Borrowing technology from our Evoluzione line, we created an affordable aluminum platform where performance and affordability are key. Features like the Masi Elite/RS carbon fork hint that ride quality is never sacrificed. Like you, the Alare has a passion for riding that can only be satisfied by hours on the road.

metrowest biker   Recreational Rider [Apr 18, 2014]
Strength:

This is a strong, comfortable bike and a great value for the price. It shifts smooth and fits right. The seat is the most comfortable one I've ever had.

The pedals, like everyone else says. I also think you have to consider that you can't upgrade this bike without spending a lot.

I owned every other type of bike before I got a road bike. I didn't want to spend a bundle only to find out I wasn't really interested. One ride on this bike and I was hooked. I've ridden mine on more than one century and have put on a lot of miles. This bike is light and strong, perfect for someone looking for a great bike for the price. Mine still looks and works great! This will be my third year and will probably be looking to upgrade now. My advice to you is to buy it,ride the heck out of it, and get a different bike when you're ready to make the move up if and when that time comes.

Juan Carlos   [Sep 23, 2013]
Strength:

Beautiful, Beautiful and beautiful. Great colors and design it really caught my eye. It rides great.

the Pedals.

I love this bike. It is light, beautiful, runs great. I was going to buy a Diamondback but the "Masi" caught my eye and specially when I looked at the price was even better. The seat was perfect for me. The Diamondback 'seat was too painful. I am a beginner and this bike is just exactly what I was looking for. When people look at this bike the are probably thinking that I paid lots of money for it. But it was less than a thousand dollars. I am happy.

Bob   Triathlete [Oct 15, 2012]
Strength:

This was my first purchase of a Masi product Im very impressed the way the bike handle on flats and on hill climbing. I bought this bike for a spare when my other road bike get service. But I notice I ride this bike now more than my cannon dale .. Components are ok it does the job. Shifter shift quickly and brakes are ok. I have this bike for six months now, and put 2000 miles on it but still ride like new , I give this bike 4 and a half star.. Just change the pedals. I went with shimano SPDL.

Pedals

Worth buying.

Robert   Recreational Rider [Jun 14, 2012]
Strength:

This is my first road bike and I researched ALOT for a good beginner/intermediate road bike for a good price. My 2012 Alare has been great on short and long rides, very comfortable, fast and is relaxed enough to enjoy riding. Not to mention, this is a beautiful well put together bike that always turns heads.

The only weakness I would say is the peddles(changed to 105's from jump) and the shifting components are on the low end, but should be expected with a bike at this price point.

I am very happy with my decision to purchase my 2012 Masi Alare and am looking forward to many many more miles on my Masi!

Similar Products Used: Jamis Dakar XC Mountain bike
Rockass   Recreational Rider [Apr 28, 2011]
Strength:

Comfortable frame length for 6 footer.

Peddles stock were not worth using.

Very Pleased!
Made very well. I use it for long rides or just jump on for a family cruise.
New peddles for clips and new tires are all I have do to it. I may change Alexrims but no problems to report.
It's comfortable,fast & cool. I have the white '09.

Similar Products Used: Giant
Cherry   Recreational Rider [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

The way it looks! "Sissy" brakes. Size-I have a 49cm. I am a 5'2" female it the fit is great.

Pedals. Plan to replace them.

This is my first road bike. I haven't riden the bike much but it is a beauty. It handle great for me (a road beginner).

catoecr   Commuter [May 23, 2010]
Strength:

price, paint job, great for beginners (extra brake set)

componentry (about par for the price though)
little bit heavy @23 lbs

I bought this bike because it was so gorgeous and because i like non-mainstream names (they were trying to sell me an Allez). the Alare was basically an upgrade from my old globe commuter(also a great bike). I have since begun work in a bike shop and have learned a great deal about bikes. Its still my only road bike and I'm able to compete at group rides. All and all it's a fantastic bike for a beginner. very upgradeable.

Similar Products Used: Similar to sequoia by specialized but a little racier feeling.
St John   Road Racer [Mar 10, 2010]
Strength:

It has geometry for speed & comfort. Excellant ride & quality. Looks 1st class too.

Peddles. Now replaced

My 2009 is a champ!

Jim   Recreational Rider [Jun 23, 2009]
Strength:

The geometry is somewhat relaxed, yeilding comfort and positive control. The components work well, with silent running, smooth shifting and positive breaking. The aluminum frame is stiff yet somewhat forgiving, and the carbon fork and seat post seem to absorb vibration well. The extra set of break levers make it a safer commuter. The fit and finish are impressive, with the pearl white paint job providing a deep, rich appearance. The saddle is comfortable--firm, not spongy or slippery. The bike climbs well, even without a 3rd crank ring.

The cage pedals that come with the bike are worthless. The inmost portion of the handle bars is slightly fluted and teflon-slippery, making it hard to affix and hold headlight straps.

As a 57 year old trying to keep up with his triathelete son (sort-of), I needed an affordable, comfortable road bike with some speed and style. I also wanted a bike I could ride to work and around town safely. My dealer recommended a Masi Alare. He fit the bike to me properly (no matter what you buy, this is a MUST) and suggested dual use pedals.

Similar Products Used: None
Dan   Commuter [Mar 08, 2009]
Strength:

Two sets of brake levers.
Compact crank.
Beautiful paint.
Comfy seat standard (for me anyway.)
Carbon fork.
Carbon seat post.

Wheelset is heavy.
Sora components.

I had been looking for a used bike in my size at the standard places, craigslist etc., but wasn't having any luck finding anything that was right. Wandering around at the bike shop one day I saw the Masi's and decided to check them out. The Alare really caught my eye, and from the look of the bike I thought the sticker price would be about double what it actually was. The paint is a white pearl that looks hot. To keep the price down, rather than having name brand components, the bike has Masi brand bars, stem, seat and seatpost. Sora components except for a Tiagra rear derailer, Ritchey headset, and Truvativ crank. The bike is quick, but it seemed to me that I could actually feel that the wheels were a little heavy, and they were after comparing with the wheels on the old bike. It handles well, is very stable at speeds up to 40 MPH, and I can't think of anything to complain about on it. It's exactly what I wanted, and I don't think I'll be seeing another one like it any time soon. I'm very happy with it so far. I don't feel the Sora shifters are a disappoint at all, but I did come from a bike with 20+ year old Suntour components, so anything really would be an improvement.

Similar Products Used: Old school cannondale road bike with Suntour components.