Masi Special Road Bike

Masi Special Road Bike

Steel frame and fork, Shimano 105, Ultegra RD, Truvativ compact crankset.

[Oct 26, 2009]
D Wardy

Strength:

Super comfortable, responsive on the break, and great handling for downhills.

The triple set up is a little heavy, but so am I-when I lose around 20 pounds I can start complaining about the 2-3 extra pounds on my bike ;)

I was looking for a second road bike for winter riding and found this one on craigslist one morning and had to check it out. I went and looked at the bike and pretty much bought it on the spot. It has a mix of components (105 shifters & derailleurs, FSA triple cranks, SRAM cassette, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Carbon fork), but the set up is really smooth. The key on this bike is how comfortable a ride it is-I love the steel bike frame ride so much I have rode this more than my 'summer' road bike over the last few months (a Specialized Allez with all Utlegra 10speed double set-up).

I have told many friends about this bike I have become an instant fan of the Masi bikes. Super handling on down-hills; very responsive on a break; and amazing for long rides.

Scattante XRL, Specialized Allez, Kestrel all Carbon, Masi Speciale fixed, Bianchi Veloce, Centurion Elite.

OVERALL
[Oct 04, 2009]
FatBat

Strength:

Forgiving steel ride, predictable handling, Ultegra rear derailleur, somewhat traditional look to frame.

Stupid carbon-wrapped aluminum seatpost. Weights about 3 lbs more than similarly-spec'd aluminum bike, but cyclists who want steel won't make that a top priority.

Why has roadbikereview.com not updated the review form to cover any bike newer than 2007? And why can't a reviewer distinguish between the Speciale and the Speciale CX when trying to post?

2009 Masi Speciale 105. This is not the Speciale CX cross/touring bike. This is purely a road bike, and 2010 model is just called Speciale. Weighs just over 21 lbs for 56cm frame.

I prefer this bike's steel ride to similarly-priced aluminum bikes from Trek, Specialized, and Cannondale. Also, not able to spend more than 2K for a carbon bike, and no intentions on racing, so I went with this bike for the ride and the looks (lugged fork, ruby red).

Masi Speciale CX is completely different. Weighs 24.5 lbs for 56cm frame, ready for racks, more of a touring bike than a cross bike.

OVERALL