Merlin Metalworks Inc. Solis Record Road Bike

Merlin Metalworks Inc. Solis Record Road Bike

Frame Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium, double-butted
Frame Angles: 73.0 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: xlarge, small, medium, large
Colors: Polished
Pedals: Unspecified
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Pro

[Apr 05, 2006]
mdbayler

Strength:

Upright geometry provides a more comfortable position for longer rides. Construction quality is top notch and the bike is gorgeous.

Titanium frame is more costly, but well worth the price of admission.

After several years of dealing with neck and shoulder pain from riding bicycles designed for racers, I decided to start looking for one that would give me a more upright, comfortable position. I was attracted to the Solis by its long head tube and sloping top tube. The fact that it was made of titanium and built by Merlin added to the attraction.

I purchased the frame for $1700 on eBay from a Merlin dealer in Ohio. After I received the frame I worked with my local bike shop to procure the Reynolds fork and the Record component group. I rode the bike for the last year with wheels "borrowed" from one of my other bikes. Recently I purchased a set of Cane Creek wheels to complete the bike.

This bike is a joy to ride. The longer head tube allows for a higher handlebar which results in a more comfortable riding position. The bike is very responsive due to the large chainstays and the carbon seatstays really help to smooth out the rough roads. The build quality on this frame is excellent and when it is built up with complementing carbon fiber components it looks really sharp.

I would recommend this bike to anyone who is interested in doing long distances and doesn't enjoy the position provided by racing geometries. My wife and a friend have also bought this bike (with Ultegra 9 and 10 speed groups) and are also enjoying the ride.