Merlin Metalworks Inc. Solis Ultegra Road Bike

Merlin Metalworks Inc. Solis Ultegra Road Bike

Frame Material: 3Al/2.5V titanium, double-butted
Frame Angles: 73.0 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: xlarge, small, medium, large
Colors: Polished
Pedals: Unspecified
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Pro

[Apr 18, 2005]
frank2004x

Strength:

A VERY comfortable ride. That's exactly what I wanted when I purchsed the bike.

Kind of flexy, side to side flex when I apply lots of power. But then again, I'm not going to ever race, so I don't care.

I ride a 2004 Merlin Solis, and I purchased the bike on 3/15/04. So I’ve ride the bike thru all 4 seasons now. I just love the comfortable ride the bike gives me. I traded my 2003 Trek 2200 for the bike, (plus some $$$), and I’d gladly do it again. I wanted a more comfortable ride, compared to my Trek 2200. And I also wanted a more upright ride too. I’m 6’4” and a lot of my height is from my legs. Compared to most guys that are 6’4” my legs are longer and my torso is shorter. So when I rode my Trek, when I got my reach the proper length for my arms and torso, my saddle was considerably higher to fit my long legs, and that meant my bar was a LOT lower than my saddle. The Merlin has a taller head tube, and for me, that means the bar is still 1.5” lower than the saddle, when the saddle is high enough to fit my long legs. The bike is a LOT smoother riding than my Trek was, and on longer rides, I’m not as beat up from road vibration compared to my old Trek. I’m a recreational rider and I ride solo almost all the time. And cruising down the road at 20 mph on this bike is a real pleasure. So if you want a very comfy ride (and won’t be racing) this is the bike you should have. Kind of like driving a Mercedes Benz, a very comfy ride that performs well, and you know you won’t be racing, and you don’t care.