Moots Cycles Vamoots Road Bike

Vamoots

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!! The Moots Vamoots is the longest running model that Moots has ever created. Classic road geometry provides an exceptional bike for those long days in the saddle, a shorter top tube and longer head tube then the RSL or the CR this bike is ideal for the century rider, the charity rider or the rider that is looking for superb performance with the race geometry. -3lb frame in 56cm -Available sizes 48,50,52,54,55,56,58,62. -Colors: Titanium finish. -Classic Vamoots road geometry for mile after mile performance. -1 cm longer head tube than the Vamoots CR for more intuitive posture on bike. -.5 cm to 1cm longer chainstays than the Vamoots CR for more telepathic handling. -1 cm shorter top tube, than the Vamoots CR better fit for rider with more upright riding posture. -Lower bottom bracket than the Vamoots CR for more grounded road feel. -Replaceable derailleur hanger.

Jenn   Road Racer [Jan 30, 2014]
Strength:

Too darn fun and fierce while being the most smooth and solid in all riding conditons. Buy the Ti seat post- it's worth the cost!

Ummm....

Stop dreaming and get ordering the best ride of your life!

seth brown   [Nov 22, 2013]
Strength:

I've owned my vamoots for 4 yrs. I also have a carbon frame with similar components. While my 'second bike', which is what I like to call my famously branded other...is a very good ride in it's own right, I always find myself yearning to ride the vamoots. I recently retired and ride 4-5 days a week. This machine is telepathic; I just lean, point and shoot. Long hrs in the saddle are it's forte'. I've coupled this with DA C24 (tubeless) wheels.. NO FLATS and a dream ride. As previous reviewer's have opined, you get what you pay for.

I wouldn't mind a bit more lateral stiffness..

My mid life gift to myself was a "custom' bike...I was advised to go TI if I was to go custom...I searched a great deal before I settled on a Moots Vamoots...Great decision if I do say so...
If you're in the mkt for a new ride, and are willing to spend the $$...check it out...come in from the cold, get unhyped (carbon is the only material)...you won't be sorry.

Bryin   Recreational Rider [Apr 27, 2013]
Strength:

Ride quality, durability, fit and value

Weight, stiffness (if you are strong and sprint often), dull looking ti...

If you are not sponsored and have to ride a certain bike then think about a Moots. I have ridden almost every high end bike (thanks ebay!) and when I finally decided to pick a long term ride I choose Moots. I never worry about my Moots getting knocked around, ti handles that great. For me that is a priority as I use my stuff and tend not to baby it. If you pick a Vamoots over the RSL then you won't mind the extra grams or slightly (I could not feel a difference) less stiff frame. This is a classic frame and offers a ride that will still reward you 10 years from now. And as the guy at Moots told me when I asked about the warrany "sure it's a lifetime warranty but you'll never have to use it". The only bikes I have ridden that I cosnider in the same class as the Vamoots are the Time VXR, Colnago C50 and the Torelli Nitro Express. Everything else is not in the same classs

Similar Products Used: Everything- Paramonts (88,89) Klein (Q-Pros, Quantam), Cdale (cadd 3,4,7,9), Javelin (scandium), Trek Oclv, Trek Madone 2006 discovery team model,2010 5 series,2012 6 series, Colnago C-50, Time VXR, Ridley Excalibur, Cervelo R3, RS, SL-SLC, R3SL, Torelli Nitro Express, Argon Gallium, and more...
BB   [Jan 22, 2013]
Strength:

Quality materials, quality welds, buttery smooth

I'm digging deep to find weaknesses...But the decals wear quickly (but replacements are available thru their webstore)...And this is not necessarily a weakness, but difference in frame styles - But it's not as stiff as most carbon racing frames (many will see this as a plus)

I've been riding my Vamoots now for going on 9 years. Wow, what a bike. I've replaced components on it 3 times over the years (Dura Ace, Campy Centaur, and now Campy Record). I just can't believe how a bike can be so buttery smooth on a rough road, yet still climb the way it does. The oversized chain stays give it ample stiffness when out of the saddle (although not quite as much as a carbon racing frame, but equal or better than many carbon performance frames). This bike performs well on any surface, and at any speed. I highly recommend the Moots seatpost as well, as it adds to the smoothness of the ride.

Well, recently I've contemplated selling the Moots and getting a new carbon fiber bike. I've looked at and ridden some nice ones (Parlee, Cervelo, and others)...And while they look sharp and sprint/climb well, and I want and look for any reasons to like them better than my Vamoots, I simply can't say that I do. So that being said, I'm sending the Vamoots in for a refurb, and buying all new wheels/components for it yet again. It's like having a brand new bike, and that's the beauty of buying a Moots. The frame will last you a lifetime, and you can always upgrade components as technology changes.

Bottom Line: It just doesn't get any better!

Mr. Redpants   Recreational Rider [Dec 17, 2010]
Strength:

Stiff in the right places, the right amount of compliance in other places. Outstanding machine.

cost ? you get what you pay for

I have about 10,000 miles on this bike, bought new, so I figured it was time. It's broken in and I can comment fairly on the bike. I am a fast recreational rider, 50+, aspire to push the pace and finish at the top of the climbs of my B+ club rides by the end of the summer :)

This 2004 Vamoots is a unquestionably a great bike. I worked my way through g-school working in an LBS (and working for a rider who was on the '72 Olympic team) so I got a chance to ride some great bikes (C'dales, Paramounts, Pinarellos among others) and learned something about bikes - and I absolutely love the Vamoots. Never fails to put a smile on my face. I liken the ti to novacaine at the dentists office: costs more, hurts at first, but then you see things coming that should hurt and they don't. I spent the first 500 miles looking for holes and ruts to ride over - just amazed at how comfortable, solid and predictable the bike rides. On rides with friends I've seen other frames start to wobble and chatter on downhills. Never an issue with the Moots - fast, responsive and predictable. Fast uphill, fast down. Does what you tell it to do. Goes where you point it. I love long rides (100+ mi) and this bike has always been a joy to be on. I'm the kind of rider who just goes - if the perfect route on the map turns to dirt and sand in real life, I don't care I just keep going. Been hit by a car, jumped off the road a few times, a couple of falls - no matter.

p.s. - if you are reading this, you are thinking about spending a ridiculous amount of $ on a bike. Hey, if this amounts to a paycheck or mortgage payment :) be sure to get a great fit. If the best the shop owner can do is tell you to straddle the bike or do the forearm measure to the stem, "whaddya think??" go elsewhere with your piggy bank. You deserve a much better fitting than that. Do your homework and ask many many questions. Talk to friends who ride a lot. Scott at Evo Pro bikes gave me a great fitting that has made a huge difference in my riding.

Similar Products Used: Pinarello, Schwinn Paramounts, others
Mark   Recreational Rider [Jun 25, 2009]

Are you kidding?

Wonderful bike. Exceptional value as the benefits easily justify the expense. Have never felt so comfortable on a bike. Smooth, quick, light.

tim   Recreational Rider [Jan 22, 2009]
Strength:

Impeccable quality. American made. Light and low maintenance industrial beauty. No chips, no paint, no worries.

My own. I need to figure out my stem/bar a little bit better. Leaves me lusting for the SL

This is one of the best and most beautiful bikes that exists. It is actually a Hampsten that was built by Moots, I imagine to Moots geo, but I am not sure. I have never seen better welds by any other manufacturer. The stout chainstays transfer power, but the seatstays do a good job of damping the road shock. I love climbing out of saddle as the bike just wants to run. Long days seated are a joy and I can go longer than ever before and still not feel fatigued from the road.

Manifester   Recreational Rider [Jan 20, 2009]
Strength:

Ti ride with lateral stiffness. It just doesn't get better than this (that I have ridden yet.)

I'm educated in Quality Assurance, and I cannot find anything negative to mention. That is a rarity for me and stands as a high compliment to the folks at Moots!

I'm always looking for the best, so, after visiting Kent Eriksen at the Sore Saddle Cyclery back in 1991, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Vamoots.

The ride exceeded my expectations! I previously had a Merlin Extralight, and was very pleased with it, except that their frames are not built with a geometry to my requirements. But, the Moots further enhanced the ride quality. I do not notice any bottom bracket flex, although I do notice a slight lack of transfer of force to the wheel on steep climbs (compared to my Pegoretti Marcelo and a Parlee I tested.) Yet, this is very minimal, and the bike responds to input when you put the power to the pedal. This bike is probably the most ideal realization of developing a frame that gives you the highest levels of all characteristics you look for in a road frame. Stiff enough to transfer your pedaling to the wheel, yet still has the magic to absorb the road chatter better than any other bike I have ridden (except possibly the Cannondale Synapse, likely the best off-the-shelf-bike available, I use one in the off season.) The frame is very accurately aligned and doesn't waver at all down the mountain passes.

If you have the means to obtain one, you WILL know where your money went. I can't say I have bought many things in my life that I felt content with the price I paid several months after the purchase. This is a delightful exception.

Similar Products Used: Merlin Extralight
asheats   Recreational Rider [Feb 01, 2007]
Strength:

1) The workmanship really is as spectacular as they say. When you pay this for a frame, you expect the welds to be this stellar.

2) Value (relative). Believe it or not, these are very well priced against other custom Ti bikes (as much as half the price of some comparable frames that I considered). With top-rate materials and workmanship, I view this as the best value Ti bike I considered.

3) The frame is very thoughtfully designed. For example, the breezer drop-outs give a very positive (eg. stiffer in the bottom) and clean looking weld-point than many Ti frames; and they look really nice as well.

4) finish. I really like the simple bead-blasted finish. It looks like Ti.

1) While I am happy with the bike fit that I got, I do think that Moots could probably learn from the customization process that Seven (and perhaps others) use. Every customer wants to believe that theirs is unique and will totally fit.

2) A bit of toe overlap - which I know is common. But nonetheless not ideal.

I spoke to a friend of mine - a respected frame-maker. His advice was, "if you only buy one custom bike in you life, make it Ti. And if you only buy one Ti bike, look at the Moots." To be honest, I had never heard of Moots when I started my quest -- and had never ridden one (or even seen one in Australia).

I've had this frame a couple of weeks now, and have put quite a bit of distance on it in that time. As I told the guys at the shop, "it rides like my carbon bike, but more so!" By that, I mean that it is totally plush on rough surfaces (eg. all of the roads around here) and feels great long rides, bit it pumps like a *** on sharp climbs. At almost 17 lbs (~58cm sizing), its comparable in weight to my mid-range carbon bike, but feels much lighter on the road. I specifcally avoided the SL version, as I had heard/read that it is a bit harsh. I am happy with that decision, as this is plenty stiff (and I way 100Kg/220Lbs).

I would confidently recommend this bike for people like me - strong(ish) recreational riders who want to buy their last bike.

While I have focused this review on the frame rather than components, I would really recommend looking at the Moots seat post as well. I have the lay-back one. No flex. Really comfortable. And definately the cleanest lines of amy lay-back post I have seen. Also, looks great on the Ti bike.

Similar Products Used: Looked at every high-end Ti bike I could find.
Beethoven   Recreational Rider [Jul 26, 2006]
Strength:

Build quality, frame geometry, material.

Customer service. Absolutely unacceptable for a bike that fully built up is around $6000

This is a Mootour 61 cm with a YBB. Designed for long and ultra long distances, with S&S couplers for travel. Bike is beautifully made, Titanium has a wonderful road feel. YBB is a problem, as it doesn't fully lock out. No response from Moots whether that's normal. No or very reluctant help from the LBS on any of the questions I have had. Once set up properly, this is the ultimate bike to have. It climbs, descents, and goes fast in a straight line.