Neuvation Cycling FC100 Road Bike

Neuvation Cycling FC100 Road Bike

The FC100 is made with carbon tubes and alloy head tube, seat cluster and bottom bracket. Averaging 1380 grams for the frame only most bikes are in the sub 17 pound range. Super smooth and still very stiff.

[May 18, 2013]
David Mann

Strength:

First set of wheels went 8,000 miles. Very comfortable. Great customer service

None I have seen

Love the bike. Love the shop. Really want the 500 now have 12,000 miles on bike with no problem.

[Apr 27, 2012]
Bill Metcalf

Strength:

Fairly lightweight: SRAM Red bike weighs 16.0 out of the box. Customer service is awesome! Plenty of options to 'build your own' bike. Pricing is unbeatable

@1380 gm. for the frame, it's no feather; but the price is incredible: about $2400 for SRAM Red.

Decent ride, not as smooth as my Ti bike, but still long-distance comfortable. Neuvation wheels are stiff, I can corner faster on them than I dare on some other hoops. Developed cracks in rear rim after 2000 miles, but remember what I said about customer service. Wheel was repaired quickly for, I think, no cost to me. Honestly, I gave ot 4 stars overall because it's the first carbon frame I've ridden, so I have no basis for comparison with other carbon frames.

Currently own 5 road bikes: 2 Assenmachers (custom), Colnago, Airborne, Neuvation
(I used to own a bike shop, but I prefer a regular paycheck).

[Apr 27, 2012]
Tom

Strength:

Wonderful frame and wheel setup. Unbeatable for the price. It's a good all day rider, maybe not the best crit bike, but still nice and responsive. Follows and changes lines well. Feels natural to ride and great at high speeds.

Customer service. Bike build up. Communication.

I bought the bike late last year. Due to business conflicts I can only ride unbranded frames or the company specified. Also, I am quite short, and the geometry for the 48cm size was right what I was looking for (basically the low head tube, which I couldn't get with my supplier in a carbon frame).

Neuvation has always been fast when sending wheels, so I assumed that it would be similar with the bikes, but just in case I requested in my order form that I be contacted if there was going to be any wait. After a week with no contact from them or charge to my credit card I contacted them. I was told that they were 3 weeks behind on all of the bike builds. I told them that it would be fine, but I needed the bike at my door by a specific date (a month after I sent in the order). I was told that date would be no problem.

So finally the bike gets built. I'm notified by Neuvation that they have shipped the bike, but because they didn't have any 48cm frames without decals they sent me a bike with logos, but upgraded my front derailleur to the Red derailleur (it's a Sram Force build). However, The Force front derailleur was the one I wanted due to having the stiffer cage and more positive shifting. Had they asked me before hand I would have just told them to keep the bike and cancel my order. And then things got worse.

Some of the reasons why I purchased the bike from Neuvation was that I had no experience with Sram and being that one of my jobs is a bike mechanic I wanted a bike that I could pull out of the box, put together in just a few minutes with no tuning and get onto riding. Neuvations advertises their bikes as such. This was the opposite of the case.

Most bikes that I get at the shop are at the same level of diassembly, but most of the time need little to no adjustment work. The work needed on the Neuvation bike was more than I had on any bike I built from new. The rear derailleur needed adjustment, the front deralleur was so far out that it actually would throw the chain off the outer ring and scratched up the cranset. The bike was delivered with no carbon grip paste for the seat post. And, to top it off, the bike arrived at my door 3 days later than my "needs to be here by this date." Additionally, I was expecting to get the black wheels (which I like) and recieved silver (which I don't like and had no clue existed).

Quickly, the bottom bracket failed on me. While this is no fault to Neuvation, I was simply fed up with the bike. I contacted Neuvation and requested to speak with someone about the issue. I didn't want to be "that guy" but I was 100% dissatisfied with my purchasing experience. I ride 9000 miles a year and I was so unhappy with the purchasing experience (and this bike is a nice bike) that I just didn't want to ride the bike at all and think about it.

Eventually I spoke with John at Neuvation, told him of all my issues with it (to a few he even replied with, "Oh yeah, that's a problem. That shouldn't have happened.") However, his response was to offer to take it back, but I would have to pay the return shipping ($100). Again I reiterated to him that had I walked into a store and seen the bike I was actually going to get I would have never, ever purchased the bike. Eventually after some tersely worded e-mails he agreed to take it back and cover shipping.

However, because I had such a negative experience with Neuvation and everyone with my business association new about the troubles this bike was we ultimately decided it would be OK for me to ride the bike with the Neuvation logos showing. So I decided to keep it (after all, it is a good bike to ride and it's one of the few to actually fit the way I want it to in this price range). Whenever customers ask about it I relay the story that you've now read and then remind them that Neuvation is considered to be one of the better of the online bike retailers. Now they are more encouraged to buy a bike locally instead of online mail order.

That said, I will probably never purchase another item from Neuvation again. Not even their wheels.

So, who should buy this bike? People who can deal with their own problems and are competent to know how to properly build and set up a bike. It's a good all day rider, maybe not the best crit bike, but still nice and responsive. Follows and changes lines well. Feels natural to ride and great at high speeds.

A bunch of other carbon and steel road stuff. Too numerous to mention.