Orbea Opal Road Bike

Stem: ITM Visia
Saddle: Selle Italia Signo Trans Am

[Sep 21, 2010]
kencal

Strength:

Stiff, responsive, comfortalble, I feel very natural in the drops and out of the saddel, Confident in sprints, and noticed that I can hold a smooth hight speed for longer periods of time 25-27-29 ect.

Still dialing it in

Purchaced a 2008 Orbea, Opal. From a TCR, Giant. The Giant was 5 years old, and flexed allot. My friend needed some money and offerd me a rarely ridden Orbea for 650 I offered him 550, he took it. I am so glad he did, I weight 180 and I am a CAT-4 experienced racer and commuter. This bike is SWEET!!!

[Sep 21, 2010]
Kenny

Strength:

Stiff, comfortable, very smooth and fast. I have noticed that I can hold my speed allot longer. I feel very natural on this bike. I feel confident in the drops when I lunch out for a sprint. On long rides it does not beat me up.

Still dialing it in

I wore out my 2005 Giant TCR. A friend needed money and was asking $600 for a Orbea Opal 54c. I offered him $550 he took it. I am so glad he did, this is my first Orbea, what a bike. The comfort leval was noticed on first ride.

My first real racer

[May 19, 2010]
tlmoriss4215

Strength:

handling, climbing, durability.

none so far,just pricey

Awesome bike in the performance and looks department. Stiff but still a comfortable ride. Corners great. I have a 51, and it is lightweight. It's not the lightest, but it's up there. Orange and carbon color scheme is great. I would recommend this bike for anyone.

I replaced my 2001 Trek 5700 with this. It was quite an improvement. lighter than that model, better in every way.

[May 02, 2010]
adamvela

Strength:

light weight. very responsive

very good bike to ride. smooth and light weight

[Apr 16, 2010]
Old Dad

Strength:

Lite, Fast, stiff yet century rides are awesome! 16lbs with components that will go 15K miles! Handling is true but sometimes requires a commitment at speed but she never fails you!

Might be stiff for very lite riders... I hate you skinny punks any way!

2008 built from frame-set off of eBay. First carbon after 5 years on Bianchi Vigarelli. Whole new ball game. Light, fast, responsive, yet as others have noted... twitchy in the wind and a little unnerving at speed. Just takes a little bit to acclimate going from steel to carbon ;-). I am usually 170 lbs. which is good for this stiffness, lighter riders may feel this frame is too stiff unless they are just racing?
I have about 2600 miles on this set up and it is really good at everything I ask of it! Climbing has become a pleasure!

Nothing even remotely "similar"
Bianchi Vigarelli w/Ultegra

[Mar 30, 2010]
Fergie348

Strength:

Lightweight, responsive, good stiffness at the BB, to the rear wheel. Beautiful..

Fork isn't the stiffest at my size/weight (6'1, 200 lbs), too many logos for my taste.

This is the first carbon bike I've owned - I got the frame on eBay and built it up with a mix of parts from my old road bike and new parts I bought to bring me up to the current 10 speed standard. As to the Opal, it's an amazing climber - my last bike was italian steel (Bianchi TSX) and the Orbea is considerably lighter and feels a bit quicker in the corners. The one downside is it's not as stable at medium speeds (15-25 mph) around tight corners it's not as solid as a classic steel road racer. At high speeds it gains stability and of course climbing and pacelining are much faster on this bike. The only thing I miss about my old steel bike is that rock solid feeling around tight corners, but otherwise this bike rules..

Trek 1400 (aluminum), Classic italian steel (Tommasini SLX, Bianchi TSX), no real experience on other Carbon frames

[Sep 16, 2009]
dlarade

Strength:

Descending, sprinting

2009 Orbea Opal 57cm

[Jun 04, 2009]
wpd332

I have the 2008 yr model. I've been riding this bike for around a year now, and absolutely love it. I debated spending $3k+ on a bicycle, but I don't regret it a bit. It is a beautiful bike (even guys at work that give me a hard time about cycling clothes and know nothing about biking think it is a sweet bike!), and rides so well. The all carbon frame absorbs the bumps well. It accelerates quickly, and handles very well. My main riding partner has an older Orbea, and loves his too. I would certainly recommend Orbea to anyone looking for a nice road bike.

For about 4 years I rode an old Raleigh Grand Prix road bike from the mid 80's on which I had updated the components, and that has been the extent of my road bike experience.

[Apr 20, 2009]
spastook

Strength:

Stiff yet quite comfortable IMO. Great handling bike, inspires confidence to dive into corners. Very light 16.5 without any tricked out parts. Climbs beautifully, quiet no creaking or other noises just foward motion. Looks great when sun illuminates the carbon.

I'm an old school old timer so for me while I think it's a great looking bike, I still prefer the look of my skinny steel Independant Fabrication.It simply looks to my old eyes what a race bike is supposed to look like.

I picked up a new(2006) frameset off Craigslist last fall for $850. Then proceeded to build it up all Shimano DuraAce. Half the components were sourced from my LBS the other half were mailorder or Craigslist. My total cash outlay was about $2400.

I tested a Specialized Tarmac w/ Ultegra a while back that felt similar. My Independant Fabrication with Campy Chorus is 2.5 pounds heavier but somewhat more comfortable. Plus I prefer its classic look.

[Apr 04, 2009]
srbeck

Strength:

solid and predictable
lifetime warranty
most importantly it's VERY fast

tried and true technology, nothing cutting edge, but like ovalized chain rings and four spoke wheels today’s cutting edge features might be tomorrow’s dated relics

Review is actually for 2009 opal
I was torn between the orca and the opal. The orca has an amazing road feel but I felt that it was lacking that certain snap. The opal isn't as smooth but its super solid, it excels when putting a lot of power through the bike or taking a hard corner. It doesn't have any of the latest greatest technology, the opal is a traditional, no thrills sort of race bike

Cervelo R3sl & RS, Cannondale super-six, Felt F3sl, Specialized Tarmac SL2 & pro and Allez expert and Orbea Orca