Paketa Bikes Scud Road Bike

New for 2009! The Scud is our most versatile bike yet. We designed this bike to be a fast racing machine for larger riders as well as a smooth and durable ride for expert recreational cyclists. The Scud takes all of the great characteristics of the Rocket to the next level. The beefier ovalized downtube and top tube create more lateral and torsional stiffness and increases the durability of the front end. The large oval seatstays and chainstays strengthen and stiffen the rear end, and the sweeping chainstay design helps to provide more damping in the rear of the bike. The added stiffness and damping help to keep you in control in fast tight turns, so you can always cut to the inside and take the straightaway. Magnesium's unique vibration damping ability is multiplied with the Scud due to the extra material. That means you get an even stiffer frame than the Rocket with a smoother ride.

sallert   Road Racer [Dec 10, 2012]
Strength:

Vibration dampening

Stock paint and graphics on my frame are pedestrian for most people. I like the "classic" look. There's already too many bikes with multicolor paint jobs and screaming graphics.

Sold as the ultimate in smooth rides, this frame completely delivers on these claims. This frame is by far the smoothest I have ever tried (after 15yrs in the retail bike industry) while still remaining stiff enough for hard sprints and light enough to be a sub-16lb complete build (size 58). This bike feels solid AND spry and has enough all-day vibration dampening to remove the hesitance for signing up for that double century you've thought about.

Similar Products Used: Too many to specify. I test ride many of the major brands each year.
OVERALL
haydenahill   Recreational Rider [Nov 04, 2009]
Strength:

Stiffness and vibration damping combined. Handling over rough pavement is unbeleivably good.

None that I've found yet.

So took the Scud out for its inaugural ride Sunday AM. Have a little 30 mile blast to a local Starbucks and back which I can squeeze in before Church on Sunday mornings. This bike is ridiculous!! On all the bad sections of road, where the Litespeed gets “squirmy”, this bike just bombs through like it’s on rails. Fast, stiff and comfortable. Not sure it gets better than this! I didn't really need a new single bike, but I acquired a Paketa V2 tandem some months back, and was blown away by how good magnesium is as a frame material, so I asked David Walker of Sixties Cycles to build me a single Paketa as well. Worth every penny.

Similar Products Used: I've ridden carbon fiber and titenium prior to this magnesium frame. This is in another leasgue to anything I've previously ridden.
OVERALL