Pinarello Paris FP Carbon Road Bike

Monocoque high modulus unidirectional 46 HM 3K carbon fi bre frameset, with Pinarello ONDA® fork and rear triangle. Paris Carbon is high performance frameset with exceptional comfort that´s perfect for long distance rides thanks to the natural vibration absorbtion of carbon fibre.

Kris Kahl   [May 11, 2014]
Strength:

Smooth, silent STYLE, no one else has one here. Heritage is very cool!

it is not a weight weenie bike.

I have raced and ridden nice bikes for 30 years now. From my earliest Trek 501, Gitane team, Centurion Dave Scott, Cannondale 3.0, Merlin titanium, Tommasini Racing (which I still have), Kestrel 200 Sci, Vitus aluminum 979, Specialized steel Allez (which I still have), Trek 5200 (my Lance phase), LOOK Kg 191, Wilier cofidis team carbon, Specialized Tarmac, Scott CR1, Cervelo R3sl, Focus Izalco (which I still have, but is going on ebay soon) to the Pinarello Paris 46k carbon. The Paris seems to do everything together the best (it combines the qualities Iliked best of most all these other bikes). I know it is not nearly as light as the Cervelo R3sl was, not even as light at the Focus Izalco, but it "feels" light when you are climbing- and you can climb superbly while seated- nice when you are 6' 2 1/2" tall. It doesn't accelerate like you are shot out of a cannon- like the Tarmac, Cervelo and Focus- but I reach the same top speeds on roads and sprints that I have done for years on my other bikes. I cannot explain it- honestly. The one thing I can say is: it makes you feel great when you ride it, and it rides very smoothly. It doesn't absorb everything (like the Vitus on cobbles...), but it doesn't beat you up, even on long tiring rides. You can kind of go on auto-pilot, and it will get you home- even when bonking- like 2 days ago..... Mine is only built with Ultegra 10 speed, with Ultegra wheels also- and many of my other bikes were full Dura Ace, SRAM Red and top end campy- again I can't explain it- it just works, really, really well.

John Martin   Recreational Rider [Aug 15, 2009]
Strength:

Climbs provided you have an 11 speed Campy, flats

top tube thin but this design plays an aero role in descents.

Did my first century ride and this machine just whisks you away. Climbs are a breeze compared to my other bike which is a more recent model. Very stiff, very stiff indeed. Never achieved speeds with newer bikes.

Similar Products Used: None
kevin32   Road Racer [Apr 16, 2009]
Strength:

Great combination of extremely light bikes, which offer stiffness and heavier, more complient bikes, which absorb road shock better and also tend to handle better. i.e. my Cervelo, which weighs down in the 13-14lbs range can be rather twitchy.

These frames cost way too much. I just happened to get a great deal on a used one.

Very nice all around bike. Fairly light, good stiffness, very good handling, and absorbs road chatter well. I would put this right in the mix with my old BMC Pro Machine, but with a tilted toward racing. I'm of the opinion that one has to review a bike using the same wheelset as their so called current favorite bike. Otherwise the comparison is usually flawed. My comparison comes from the fact that I've ridden the exact same setup on my BMC Pro Machine, Cervelo RS-SL, and my Pinarello Paris, all with full Campy Record. All three setups were run on Campy Hyperon Clinchers and Mavic Carbone Ultimates. Overall, the Pinarello handled both wheels the best, but failed in other areas. The Cervelo with the Ultimates is almost ungodly stiff, but running the wheels at 105-110 psi helped considerably. The Hyperons dialed in the rode chatter well, but overall the stiffness was readily apparent, but very tolerable. The BMC handled the Ultimates the best, but wheels that were less stiff made the bike feel a bit dead. The Pinarello was a great blend of both worlds, but I still felt the Hyperons made it feel great.

Reaslize, that I'm three bikes that are all equally great and the differences at this level tend to be very subjective. I've ridden all three well into the thousands of miles, so I'm just trying to give some humble feedback.

The comment about Pinarello's running large is 100% true. I'm 6ft with a 31.5" inseam. The BMC and Cervelo in 56cm fit perfectly with a 110cm stem and a seatpost that was fairly exposed upward. My Pinarello Paris is a 55cm with the same stem and the seatpost is almost completely pushed into the seattube. A 54cm would probably been the perfect fit, but the 55cm still worked well.

Overall, you can't go wrong with any of these bikes and the wheelset you choose will make a drastic difference in the type of "ride" you are looking for. If I had to pick one it would be my Cervelo R3-SL by a hair. Then again, I haven't tried a Pinarello Prince yet.

Similar Products Used: Cervelo R3-SL, BMC Pro Machine, Scott CR1, Specialized Roubiax Pro
steve clarke   Road Racer [Sep 30, 2007]
Strength:

Fast, responsive but still comfortable. Great looks and paintwork.

Water gets in frame on wet rides, very thin carbon at top of seat tube/seat clamp.

Brought this "ex Team" machine whilst on training holiday in Majorca, Spain. Complete bike for price of frame, bargain, but most parts now changed, so bike is now pretty much new.
Fantastic looker, great ride, comfortable but responsive and fast!
A different ride than my Colnago C50, the "Paris" can't wait to be ridden hard and fast, whilst the C50 is more of an all round machine.
Which is the best? Can't decide between them, but I would say that the Colnago is built to a higher standard.

Similar Products Used: Colnago C50, Colnago Master, De Rosa Merak
Garmond   Recreational Rider [Jun 22, 2007]
Strength:

I've never had a bike this nice and really enjoy everthing about it- the ride, components, looks, etc.

This was an expensive gift to myself but hey, you're only 40 once....

You've heard this before...I wanted something fantastic for my 40th birthday...My bike is a beauty and rides wonderfully. I have not had a road bike since college and had almost forgotten how nice it is. If I never ride it again I could just hang it on the wall and enjoy it almost as much.

Similar Products Used: Tested 2006 Cervelo Soloist Carbon and Orbea Orca. Great bikes as well but I had to go with the classic Italian bike maker Pinarello.
mmcs2520   Recreational Rider [Jun 11, 2007]
Strength:

When you jump on it even on hills, it just gets up and goes. No hesitation, no chatter, just speed. Looks are unbelievable!

Expensive!! The campy Chorus gruppo is noisy. The FSA saddle is not very forgiving. gommatalia tires are not water friendy (we get 51" of rain here a year!). I'm switching to my GP 4000's.

I went in to buy a Porsche 911 turbo and rode out with a Ferrari 599 GTB. Fast, quick, solid, smooth. The compact cranks are perfect for these old legs. Hills are now much easier. First time I've owned a Campy group and I love it (except for the noise). My wife thinks I'm nuts. I just sit in the garage and stare at it. It's a work of art until I throw a leg over it then it's a "bike that's built to be ridden." When you get on this bike and start riding it just feels right. No I'm not a Pinarello shill or groupie.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Six 13, CAAD 9, Specialized Allez, Kestrel, Bianchi Verita.
Peter Wallbrink   Road Racer [Jun 08, 2007]
Strength:

Nice compromise between stiffness for acceleration and climbing, yet it is very comfortaeable over long distances. Its a little exclusive - no one else seems to have one where i live.

Like all stiff bikes, it can be a touch nervous on rough descents.

The Paris is a very strong perfomer, with very few weaknesses. After riding and competing on it for a year, I am still not approaching the high limits of this bike. In I.B. team colours I still just simply enjoy looking at it - its a pleasure to have it in the shed and have no regrets on purchasing it. The staff at Bike Addiction in Sydney were really helpful.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale R7; giant TCR; cannondale six-13; Trek 5.5
Dctrofspin   Road Racer [May 05, 2007]
Strength:

Stiff
Good Handling
Reasonably light
Finish

Ride quality lacking for a bike of this price

Too stiff for it's own good

I had been looking at the Paris Carbon to replace my Colnago C50 for the better part of a year. It was not possible to test ride the bike, so I went entirely on reviews in various magazines and on this website. After three months, I unfortunately have a bit of buyer's remorse. Simply put, comapared with my 2004 C50, I'm let down based on what the reviews had indicated. Most said the Paris was very stiff, but had an extrodinarily compliant ride. I have found the Paris to be unrelentingly stiff and no more compliant than Cannondales I've owned or my other current bike, a Scott CR1. In fact, I think the Scott actually rides better. The Paris damps the bumps in the sense you don't get the tingy harshness with aluminum frames, but the rigid chassis transmits everything from the road right through to your butt and hands.

The Paris is extremely stiff, reasonably light by super-bike standards and has a fairly deft touch in the handling department. Decents are steady and the handling is very stable and predictable. The finish of the bike is excellent and it looks great with my Zipp 404s.

I don't know, maybe the C50 spoiled me for life...that bike just felt RIGHT...compliant, but stiff, smooth and very stable...a sort of magical mix. The Pinarello just feels like other stiff race bikes I've ridden or owned. The only good thing is I got a killer deal on a 2006 closeout. This one may find its way to Ebay soon.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale CAAD8
Colnago C50
Scott CR1
Chase15.5   Recreational Rider [Jan 06, 2007]
Strength:

- Stable on high speed decents (40-50mph)
- Smooth ride over varied terrain (rough roads don't phase it)
- Great long distance bike

- If your a weight weenie, Paris is not the lightest. The frame weighs in at 1225g. But to be honest, the tradeoff in "smoothness" and stiffness negate it. I still built mine up to weigh 15.7 lbs.
- The stock MOST carbon post while having a nice finish is a boat anchor on weight

I've waited 3 months to write a review, because I wanted the "placebo effect" of a new bike to wear off so I could be a bit more objective...

This is by far the finest bike I've ever owned. This bike replaced a Giant TCR Composite (Team edition) - which was a great bike. The Paris is a fast steering bike without being twitchy. On decents, the bike feels like it can always handle more. It inspires confidence in corners. It never feels like its going to wash out or highside.
On the flats, it feels like there is no power wasted - the FP bottom bracket is very stiff. I never noticed my Giant being less stiff when riding it, but compared to the Paris, there is a difference. Climbing is great because of the stiffness.

Both bikes had the exact same parts, Campy Record groupo, Mavic SSC SL wheels, tires etc, so I could any changes in ride were due to the frame/fork. I'm not sure if the Onda Fork and seat stays have anything to do with the smoothness, but the Paris Carbon is a much smoother ride than my last road bike.

Was it worth the $3200 for the frame and fork alone - yep, I would pay it again, and be smiling. I bought the it online from cbike.com. Sarah, was great to work with. They really cared about how I liked the bike, and wanted me to send pics once it was built up. They have earned my busines for sure in the future.

Finish: The IB Team Edition is absolutely beautiful. I had a tough time deciding that and the Valverde Pro Tough White version. They are both great looking. In the end, I wanted a bit more color, so the IB got the nod.

On a side note - I have never seen another Paris Carbon where I live - or Pinarello for that matter. Its nice to not see so many.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR Composite, Giant TCR Al, Bianchi Pista Concept, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Roubaix
redrider   Road Racer [Dec 18, 2006]
Strength:

Stiffer than a C-40 which makes for a better racer. Not super light but light enough. The Naked Carbon version goes with any color scheme I choose. The ONDA curves are second to none when it comes to standing out from the crowd.

Not the "magic carpet ride" of a C-40. I can't afford to race this rig so the need for a beater/racer bike was in order.

A good friend offered me this for a steal because it was a tad too big for him. So I sold my C-40 complete bike just to get the frame/fork. Then was forced to transfer the parts from my Ridley Damocles just so I could build it up.

Similar Products Used: C-40, Six 13, System Six, CAAD 7, Damocles.