Rans Recumbents Force 5 Road Bike

The F-5 is Back for 2008 and with a new frame, new Hoagie seat in cro-mo steel, seat clamp, riser, bars, carbon fiber fork and lower price. New paint scheme in flashy two-color innovative powder coat of Bullet Silver and Blue. The new F-5 represents one of the best bargains in a high performance ride.

jephicus   Recreational Rider [Jul 27, 2009]

Great overall value (for a recumbent). Sleek, high quality paint job. Component quality is adequate for a variety of purposes. Weight is relatively light for a recumbent (26 lbs). Nice price point to get started with recumbents. High racer design is stable at lower speeds. Super fun to ride and very comfortable.

The SRAM X.5 rear shifter seems to need frequent adjustment. I can barely go for more than a week without having to fiddle with these. Price is not competitive with equivalently spec'd uprights (I'd estimate that an upright with these components would be about an $800 bike). The position of the rear brake cable boss is odd. It forces the cable into a corkscrew position which results in some tension in the rear brake line. This makes rear braking feel stiff. They ought to really fix this in future models but I see they're using the same line in the 2009 models.

I love riding this bike. It is my first recumbent. After riding recumbents, I know that, for the most part, I will never go back to uprights. Because of this bike, I took on my first century ride. I'd never even consider doing that on an upright -- too uncomfortable. For the record, I'm 36 and not coming to recumbents due to any injury; I just think the monotube highracers look cool! I like the sleek look f this bike. Because these are limited production bikes, I'd say you're paying a 50% premium over an upright roadie given the component quality. However, if you can get beyond that, you're in for a real treat. For longish, back country rides exceeding 20 miles, you'll really notice the benefits.

Similar Products Used: I've test ridden other RANs models and some long wheel base models.