Ridley Helium Road Bike

• Stem: 4ZA Shaft
  • Handlebar: 4ZA Flyer
  • Fork: Helium full carbon monocoque

Sterlin Smith   Recreational Rider [Mar 28, 2013]
Strength:

Stiff, responsive, light, great climber and great acceleration...

Just a touch twitchy steering on decent.

Came from a very nice Giant Defy Advanced. Current ride is Ridley Helium with full SRAM Red group atop Mavic SCS Anniversary rims. What a ride! Fast all the time... and faster when needed. Super light but as stiff as a rail. Triangle is like a shock absorber. Just a little nervous in the front end on steep decents. Currently rolling on Continental Gator Skins... not really the best for this bike. Overall this is the nicest bike I've ever owned (and I've owned a ton). Great looking paint and I love the integrated mast. No reservations giving this bike two thumbs up... a great buy at nearly any price!

JunkieJoe   [Oct 16, 2012]
Strength:

It is incredibly light and stiff. Very responsive at both low speed and a good long high speed descent. The Flandrien paint scheme is understated.

My wife is quite upset that I'm gone more than usual out riding this thing. The integrated seat mast is a nice feature, but made me quite nervous having the BB to saddle height right before that hack saw came out.

I'm coming from a 20 year old steel Colnago with old 8sp Campy C Record, so to me this is light years different. My old bike is a cruiser, and apparently a very heavy cruiser. This new Ridley is just a bullet. I find it hilarious to ride. I've never really understood the idea that a bike could be zippy until I brought this one out for the first time. On my old bike, I could get the chain to rub the front derailleur when pounding up a climb, not on this one....it just goes. For the first few times of riding this thing, I kept having to check the tires. It was so smooth that I thought the tires were low, yet it just jumps when pedaling hard. The only way I can better describe the ride is when you ride the white line, everything smooths out. But on this bike, its always smooth. It amazes me how bikes nowadays can be exceptionally quick but so darn smooth at the same time. I really feel that after a 60 or 70 mile ride, I still have something left.

I have this bike set up with Campy Record (which I love), a great set of wheels from my LBS, michelin pro 4's. The wheels are White Industry Hubs with H Plus Son rims. The whole thing, for an XL size is just a hair over 16 lbs.

I'm not one to say this bike is better than anyone's ride, but rather that I am really pleased with the frame and the total build. It doesn't disappoint in any way. The engine on the other hand could use some work.

Cameron   [Aug 29, 2012]
Strength:

2012 Ridley Helium - Stiff, light and responsive. The best bike I have ever ridden.

None whats so ever.

I am currently riding the 2012 Helium with Dura Ace and a Zipp 808/404 combination. I can excellerate from 40km/h to 60km/h in a space of meters and every effort you put into your peddling, you get rewarded in speed and power.
Uphills are a breeze with power generated from the bottom bracket and down hills are safe, secure and directive. I have managed to hit 90km/h and never felt uneasy.
If you are looking for the best bike in the market thats super light and stiff, look no further than the Ridley Helium.

Wayne Andrew   [Aug 25, 2012]
Strength:

Great geometry, soaks up the bumps in the back end and stiff everywhere else that matters. Great looking bike that turns heads.

Drive side chain stay / seat stay junction has worked under the paint after 12 months and cracked through the top coat of paint. Unsure of manufacturers warranty guarantee.

Overall a great frame that suits the weekend rider or racer.

spiza   Recreational Rider [Oct 16, 2011]
Strength:

The bike is the lightest best all rounder ive ever had the pleasure of riding.

No weaknesses its a weapon

Best bike ive ridden! super fast,smooth,comfortable,Looks sensational with the best finish to carbon ive seen. Its weighs in at 6.5kgs with sram group set and 404 Zipp tubulars sexy bike that always draws people commenting what a beautiful bike it is.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR Advance, S Works Tarmac,
Dave   Road Racer [Feb 13, 2011]
Strength:

Stiff BB, Stiff front end, Stable but forgiving seat stays and ISP. Incredible momentum out of saddle or in saddle. Classic looks in simplistic design. Looks tough as nails, and it is. Cheaper than many other superbikes. No excuses if you loose on this thing.

As long as you see the benefit in the ISP (which there are many), there are no weaknesses to this bike. May be a dated design for some.

On a whim and a great closeout deal, decided to give the Helium a try. The geometry fit me and it has all the makings of a superbike. The 14.6 lb build completed the bike at a great price. After testing plenty of new superbikes I was wowed by the Helium. In summary, the bike creates consistant momentum. In the saddle, out of the saddle, flats, hills, rollers, tough decents, the bike just keeps rolling faster with every telepathic thought from the rider. The seatstays are a bit forgiving, however plenty stiff to where there is no hesitation from the back end of the bike. A very balanced bike that can be a bit stiff over rough pavement, but loves to hammer through it. If you are an agressive rider who seeks to devour everything in front of you, this is the bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR, BMC Road Racer, Cervelo RS, Cannondale Supersix
Knight   Road Racer [Nov 01, 2010]
Strength:

Fast, light, looks, responsive.

None.

Frame is 2008. Feels great to ride. It's super light at 6.8kg and is very fast uphill. downhill and wherever you take it. Great for crits, road racing, bunch riding etc., Not many other bikes like this around which is good. A great upgrade from my Giant TCR0.

Similar Products Used: Giant TCR0
jayfro72   Recreational Rider [Oct 06, 2010]
Strength:

Weight- My XL with force weighs 15.8

NONE

I had a Ridley Excalibur for 3 years and loved it. I didn't expect a whole lot of difference between 2010 Helium and my '07 Excalibur. They have similar geometry (long top tube)which is why I went with another Ridley. The difference in over all quality and ride feel was evident after 5 miles. The Helium is an awesome bike. It is incredibly stiff, but comfortable. The greatest attribute is its predictability. It goes up hill like a goat and downhill like a Ferrari. It corners like it is on rails and goes exactly where you want it to go. I have ridden it about 2000 miles and have done 2 recreational centuries and one crit on it this summer. It was my new best friend in the crit and I could have done double the mileage in the centuries. When I miss a day the bike looks at me as I walk through the living room and whispers "Ride Me!". I am blown away at how this bike can be so stiff and so comfortable. It is awesome.

Similar Products Used: Ridley Excalibur
Anthony   Road Racer [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

Weight, quality, handling.

HORRIBLE SEAT CLAMPS! The seatmast necessitates the use of Ridley's proprietary seat clamps. The one that came with the bike was a very nicely made bit of CNC machining, but it had a fixed 20+mm setback which is useless for a decent percentage of the riding population. I had to purchase the additional adjustable seat clamp with a zero-setback position. It is such a cobbled, crude piece of junk that it would look about right on a WalMart Magna bike. It is a hideous piece of chrome-looking crap held together with a giant 1/2" hex hardware store bolt. Come on Ridley! Make a zero-setback seat clamp that matches the quality and workmanship of the frame since your customers have no aftermarket option!!

I've taken my new Helium on a dozen or so rides, and am VERY impressed. It's very light, stiff yet comfortable and handles beautifully with fast but stable mannerisms. A very nice frameset!

Similar Products Used: Titus Oseo, multiple Cannondales (Al and carbon).
kdwilson972   Road Racer [Apr 25, 2010]
Strength:

Light, stiff, comfortable, unique, and just plain sexy

cutting the seatmast is a nerve-racking experience, i'd recommend letting a good bike shop do it. (make sure you ask if they know how. don't want them learning on your bike)

This bike is the 2009 model, with the thinner stays. I cannot say enough about this frame. My large with pretty bog-standard components is 16.5 lbs; with light wheels and other bits it is nearer 15. the ride is incredibly smooth for a frame this light and stiff; i've done 3 consecutive four hour days on the bike and don't feel tired or beat like I used to on other bikes. i'm very impressed with the descending as well; i'm taking downhills without braking that i previously was all over the stoppers on. hands down, this is this best bike i've ever ridden. the best thing is not seeing everybody and their brother on the exact same bike as me, like when you're on a trekalizedadale. people are always asking me about it. and it's handmade in Belgium, can't beat that. the guys at Glory are extremely knowledgeable and helpful; I recommend giving them a call

Similar Products Used: I rode cannondale, trek, specialized, and giants before deciding on this bike. nothing compares