Rocky Mountain Bicycle Company Solo Road Bike

Rocky Mountain Bicycle Company Solo Road Bike

Pedal the Rocky Mountain Solo CXR Bike through thick mud, over wet roots, and shoulder it as you bound across barriers. Cyclocross-specific design features ensure the CXR's ready to play dirty, yetthanks to carbon seatstaysit's not going to beat you up. Ditch the off-season blues and keep riding aboard a foul-weather-ready Solo CXR.

[Oct 01, 2010]
edmrider

Strength:

Good geometry for performance and comfort, great value.

Mine was spec'd with WH-550 wheels, which are not keen on my 220lbs.

SOLO 30AC - Similar, but not worthy of it's own category...

Quick bike, fit is perfect for me, and it seems to scream value. Noted are the other brands that use the same frame. Responsiveness is superior to everything in this price range.

Trek

[Jan 23, 2009]
ejosrq

Strength:

Beautiful fit and finish. Not everyone has one.

None I can find.

The 2005-2007 Rocky Mountain Solo series 50/70ST (steel/carbon) bikes are quite interesting. The solo 50 (white/blue) was marketed as an assembled bike and the solo 70 (white/red) was the team color frame for build-up. Other than color there is no difference in frame specification. Frame components are by Columbus consisting of: "Carve" full carbon front (fork); "Carve" rear end with carbon stays (both seat & chain); carbon seat tube & post - with remaining tubes (top tube, head tube, down tube) make from triple-butted Columbus "Spirit" Niobium steel tubing. I believe Columbus offered these frames fully assembled and/or in component form to Rocky Mountain, Cinelli, Guercotti and Ciocc as they all marketed very similar versions. The frame geometry is considered "compact", however, the top tube angle is more level than many interpretations of compact (ie. Giant). New prices ranged from 1,100 -1,500 for frames w/fork and 1,850.00-2,700 for complete bikes. I recently purchased my new frame/fork (a Rocky Mountain Solo 70ST) for 550.00 from an eBay seller - which I consider quite a bargain considering the fork alone is almost 300.00. The overall fit and finish of the frame set is excellent and is a shade under 3 pounds with out the fork. The paint work and carbon fiber components first rate. I think this carbon/steel frame an example of a very well thought out and executed product that really works well, although I don't see many manufacturers headed this way in the future as now full carbon frames are becoming less expensive to produce and customers all seem to have carbon on the brain anyway. My 18.5 pound assembled bike uses Shimano Ultegra components and Mavic wheels. The ride is direct and crisp with a more lively feel than full carbon, but not as harsh as my recent 7005 alloy frame/carbon fork bike - there is never any "ping" over rough surfaces. The handling is responsive and confidence building without any nervous tendencies; it is also very enjoyable to ride this bike for a long period with very little fatigue. I think this bike is a keeper for me and you might too.

Giant, Raliegh, Trek

[Jun 07, 2008]
Ken Doraty

Strength:

Smooth, comfortable, fast, efficient

carbon fork in steel steer tube creaks when dusty.

I'm realativly new to the road but I have an MTB race and dh background. I found the bike a joy to ride, I thought I had a good handle on the bike early after purchasing but after about a month of steady riding I found it to be very nimble and my confidence allowed me to take some risks that have paid off with fast times and very exciting riding.
I'm so stoked about the bike that I actually joined a road club hre in Whistler, my love for the road has jumped exponentially. I'm even starting to feel comfortable in lycra.

maranoni